Prodrive twin headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2007, 02:40 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive twin headlamps

Hey guys,

So I'm considering getting some kind of headlight conversion for my bugeye (I actually really like the look of the bugeye as it is, but it looks simply awesome with the conversion). I phoned a few Subaru dealers about possible conversions, they quoted £600+ excluding fitting for the prodrive conversions, and still £350+ excluding fitting for the morretti conversion! This all seems a bit ludicrously expensive to me.. I really want the Prodrive conversion, but I refuse to pay that much... Is there any where or way I can somehow get a discount on that?

cheers guys
Old 23 August 2007, 02:55 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

They do pop up on Ebay mate, I sold my prodrive ones (mint) for £250 last year.
Old 23 August 2007, 05:48 PM
SKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Probein
So I'm considering getting some kind of headlight conversion for my bugeye (I actually really like the look of the bugeye as it is, but it looks simply awesome with the conversion). I phoned a few Subaru dealers about possible conversions, they quoted £600+ excluding fitting for the prodrive conversions, and still £350+ excluding fitting for the morretti conversion! This all seems a bit ludicrously expensive to me.. I really want the Prodrive conversion, but I refuse to pay that much... Is there any where or way I can somehow get a discount on that?
You'd need to go 2nd hand if you want to save some ££s. Fleabay or some of the forum For Sales maybe. Prodrive lamps do crop up from time to time - pal of mine got a set about 18 months ago for £200 and they were in excellent nick. Morretti are pretty rare 2nd hand and you'll need to get the surround painted to match your car if you do source them.

Had morrettis fitted on my old bugeye and while they do look great, few things you should know about living with them:
Changing the bulbs is a total PITA!! You need hands the size of an elf with an extra wrist joint to do the job easily - it's not impossible just really, really awkward.
Doing the alignment is just as awkward. Each of the 4 lamps has to be set up individually with 2 screws to adjust per lamp and the adjusters for the nearside are convieniently located right up tight to the battery .
Fun and games for fitting or any time you disturb the lamps (like removing them to fit new bulbs for instance - only made that mistake once).
You'll also have to carry a wet sponge come winter. Cause the lamps are flat faced and sit inside the plastic surround, there's nowhere for all the road crap to go so it just bakes onto the lamp surface - you feel like you've got headcandles instead of halogen headlamps
No such hassles with the Prodrive units and if I'm honest with myself, they lit the road up better than my morretti's (even with uprated bulbs fitted).

That said though, they (IMHO) look the b*ll*x and despite the hassles, I never hated them enough to change them .

If you fancy a look - Morrettis on my old bug

Cheers,

Stewart.
Old 23 August 2007, 05:54 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Had the WR Lights on my old Bugeye.

They need some loom work to fit in but are wee wee to swap. The Subaru stand a Japfest had a cheaper new set this year.