General buying advice?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2007, 11:58 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default General buying advice?

Hi folks.

I've currently got a Leon Cupra but I'm craving a return to either RWD or coming over to 4wd, which I've never had. I'd prefer the servicing costs of an Impreza over an Evo, so I've been looking around.

I'm going to be looking around January onwards, and will probably have £5 -£6.5k budget all being well. Now I've also been thinking about an MR2 Turbo but having had an N/A MR2 before, I'm really not sure I could live with two seats again. Becomes a bit of a ball ache once the novelty wears off.

Having done a bit of research, and deciding I quite fancy an STI, it looks like my budget allows for a classic shape car. I was hoping initially to find a bug eye at that money but I'm not convinced I'll find one or get a good one if I do.

Just after a bit of advice on what I should be looking for really, both model wise and known issues with that model. Also, I wanted to try and find out which would be most suitable as an everyday car. I don't really want something that's threadbare inside. I'd still like to retain some creature comforts, i.e. decent stereo, air con/climate, seats that don't remove the feeling in my **** after an hour etc

Cheers for any help guys.
Old 27 August 2007, 12:42 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 27 August 2007, 12:56 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd probably get in to an old shape STi like this for that money:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-9/1084300/sub2.JPG

Owned one for a few years (2000-02) & loved it. So much power (280bhp ish) which was a lot back then & is still OK now. They are all Jap imports which I've no problem with. Mine was bought from new by previous owner so never turned a wheel in Japan. If buying again today (a) always ask to see Model Report [edit - auction sheet] (b) check if engine has gone pop &/or been rebuilt by a reputable company. "Many" seem to have blown as people used to run them un-mapped on poorish UK fuel.

TX.

Last edited by Terminator X; 27 August 2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 27 August 2007, 02:00 PM
NAY TURBO 99
Scooby Regular

not had my scooby for long but the one thing i would say is buy one with low mileage mine had done 95 thou and blew up after 3 mounths not good
Old 27 August 2007, 02:03 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

That looks like just the ticket. I do like Bug Eyes but I know they're out of my range unfortunately.

Where would the model report be found? And how can you make sure it really is an STi?
Old 27 August 2007, 02:08 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ All Jap imports have a model report [edit - auction sheet]. They get them via the Jap auctions. Model reports [edit - auction sheet] tell you how good the car was when it left Japan ie mine was Grade 5A which is about as good as it gets for a 2nd hand car. No model report [as above] may mean that there is something to hide ie accident damage in Japan say? Personally I'd stay clear of cars with no model report [as above].

If you have the model code (written on plate inside engine bay) they you can check that it's really a STi.

TX.

[edit - the owner should have the model report [arghhh, not again]]

Last edited by Terminator X; 27 August 2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 27 August 2007, 02:10 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Sorry mate, it's not the model report that i'm talking about (muppet!) it's the auction sheet from the Japan auction. Sorry about that & I'm off for a lie down now ...

TX.

Last edited by Terminator X; 27 August 2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 27 August 2007, 04:11 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone got the different grades from high to low that would find on an auction sheet. If 5A is good - do they go all the way down to 1!

As for an answer to the question.
Check the tyres - as scoobs get through them. Often they wear on the front inside edges - which isnt often obvious on first glance. Run your hand around the inside edge of the tyres.

All the usual really ...drive it cold as well as hot etc etc.

With scoobs - most have been modified. SO

So if the thing is gleaming and the owners goes....``I put exhaust X on with this type of filter because of Z then I upgraded the clutch with this because of B... I got it from API.... I then carefully drove the car to Bob Rawle for a remap.....blah blah blah` then buy it. Because the owner has carefully thought through what they have done and why.

So if the bloke goes ´its as fast as **** mate...got a dump valve on it and a big exhaust...recon thats given it an extra 50bhp....got the red top engine too which makes it faster...just fitted this HKS mushroom filter to it...might that not effect the MAF?....Nah mate no probs Blah blah blah´ then walk away quickly...No run away actually.

I think with beasts like subarus you know within a minute or two from the bloke stood in front of you if its going to be good one or not
Old 27 August 2007, 04:53 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

What redg is the leon and is it the type R?
Old 27 August 2007, 05:33 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

No just a regular Cupra. 51 plate.
Old 27 August 2007, 05:52 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for that i may have done some kind of a deal on mine,but ultimately im not sure of what i want.