ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1, Evo VI or Integra Type-R?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2007, 08:47 AM
BUG4LIFE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1, Evo VI or Integra Type-R?

Posted the below on the P1 owners club forum, though I want your opinion too peeps.

...Hello guys, new member here

Just doing a bunch of research on a bunch of cars I'm lining up to replace my Mk2 16v Golf GTi and thought I'd get your opinion about the following [sorry if this is in the wrong place]...

As mentioned in my subject title, I'm looking into a P1 [if I get a scooby it has to be a P1 [cos they look ace] as I wont be able to afford a Type25!!!], an Evo VI or a Honda Integra Type-R. I need your help with the pros and cons:

Obviously a P1 and E6 are way way faster than the ITR, and I do crave some serious speed for my next ride! Though has anyone here driven an ITR and can compare the fun of that VTEC at 9000rpm to the thrust of a P1? I do like the fact you can pick up a mint Teg for less than £10k and I guess the servicing is gonna be way less than either the turbo cars, and being a Honda would I be right in saying it's gonna be far more reliable? I will read up on here regarding P1 reliability issues [got any links guys?], though what would you consider to be a safer buy, as in cost of ownership...Impreza or Evo? I love the look of a P1 [a major major pro], but I like the aggression of the Evo VI too [and they are really rare on the roads compared to the large number of Impreza's you see].

Any help would be great guys...I will have more questions if that's ok?
Old 23 August 2007, 09:25 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, this is just my opinion and i will get burnt for saying it but i personally wouldnt get a P1. They have had a number of reliability issues in terms of serious engine malfunction. It doesnt happen to all, but even P1 owners will admit its a common problem if the car hasnt had a good life. The P1 is an outstanding car but its a case of needing to be lucky to get a good one. I cant really comment on the performance as i havnt driven one, but by all accounts it is great.

I havnt driven the ITR but have driven the Civic TR which is pretty much the same car. I have to be honest, i was very impressed. The car handled well and felt good to drive. After 6000rpm all hell breaks loose and the car screams like a wild animal!!! The only real downside's are the fact that you need to rag it to get the best out of it and it isnt as quick as the other two.

The Evo 6 is a brilliant car to drive. Its very focused on what it was designed for, but because of this its a hard ride and not comfortable to drive. That said, it is very quick and feels well planted, it encourages you to push it hard. I cant comment on general reliability, but a mate owned one for a while and didnt really have any issues and it spent a lot of time on a track.

Which you pick would depend on what your ideal package would be. If its reliability, the ITR followed by the Evo.
If its out and out power, probably the P1.
If its a combination of comfort, reliability and reasonable performance it would have to be the ITR.

Drive them all and see what you think
Old 23 August 2007, 10:52 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Evos are renouned for warping the front discs regularly and quite high running costs. With the P1, you'd be unlucky to have to fork out for a rebuild, that being the case I wouldn't get another unless it had a blown engine or a recent rebuild by a proper garage.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:10 AM
Daz1121
Scooby Regular

Depends if high running costs are an issue. If they are they go for the Honda ITR as thats an awesome car to drive. Took one out for a test drive when they first came out in the UK and the noise from the engine and performance when the v-tec kicks in is amazing. Only car that I've driven that does more than 70mph in 2nd gear and for a fwd car it has to be the best handling wise. Only down side is it lacks a bit of torque at lower revs but is still very driveable.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:18 AM
s3emo123
Scooby Regular

Hi mate go on the WYIOC forum their is a member on their who has got a Teg and plenty who have had evo's sure they would be able to answer questions
Old 23 August 2007, 01:24 PM
NISFAN
Scooby Regular

My 2p,

As your coming from a mk2 Golf GTi (great cars, I had one years ago), the ITR will feel more familiar to you. FWD, Normally aspirated, etc. It will also be the cheapest to run, by some margin.
However, as eager (and quick) as the V-Tec engine is, it just feels gutless. This is because the torque builds very evenly with revs, there is no surge.
Once you have owned a turbo engined car, you just fall in love with the on boost wallop that an NA just can't deliver.

Regarding P1 vs. Evo VI, depends on what you want the car to do. Evo for track days, P1 for really rapid B road bashing, and general daily drive. I have got to say, the EVO6 was the most dissapointing driving experience I've ever had. Rock hard suspension, turbo lag, and just general effort required to make it go quick. On a track though I can see why it might feel more race car like.

Got to say I would go for a Newage Sti type uk for the £10K. Much better interior than the classics (and EVO6), cheaper to insure, newer and more reliable if you don't mind knocking rear shocks, lol.