Sponsored by:

Name this pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2007, 02:16 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Name this pipe!

Expert opinions please. This problem was brought to my attention when sitting idle in traffic when the engine is warm. A smell of oil/fumes is coming through the vents when the fan is on. It clears when moving, even at 10-15mph.

After reading on here it would most likely be the rocker head gasket I decided to have a close look - the gasket seems ok to me however I did notice this pipe looking in a bit of a state with a black patch on the manifold below it - others experiences of the rocker gasket make the car stink it seems and mine doesnt. There is no smoke either.

here are some pictures. Could someone confirm the following,

1. What it carries, I assume oil.
2. Where it originates.
3. Where it goes?!
4. Long shot, part number for the metal pipe? and rough price?

Ive read through the Subaru service manual but can find no reference to it! I realise that this is the manifold cover that is covered in the black stuff so perhaps thats why it isnt burning off and just smelling 'hot'.

Thanks -J
Old 12 August 2007, 02:27 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

looks like the coolant pipe from thermostat housing to oil cooler
Old 12 August 2007, 07:45 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Excellent thanks for the help.
Any other input?
Old 12 August 2007, 07:50 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Name this pipe!".
urhh Steve

...sorry couldn't resist
Old 12 August 2007, 08:12 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

After reading my parts list it seems that scoobyboy was right. Its a coolant pipe! I also made a concious effort tonight to see when I could smell it. It seems that I can smell it when the engine is cold but car is stationary. My mrs agreed that it smells more like exhaust fumes. She also said that the car sounds louder too.

Im going to pull off the undertray and the exhaust heat shields tomorrow for a closer look.
Old 13 August 2007, 04:10 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update to this now. Ive been under the car for the last hour or so. I cant see any leaks from the rocker head gasket. I ran my nail along it and theres a little black grit but no drip's.

I noticed that my center pipe heatshield (between LH and RH headers) has rusted very badly so noted this and started the car but can feel no leaks from the center pipe. There is a noticeable smell of exhaust fumes but not from there as my head was under it!

So it leaves me with the uppipe which I cant get to as I cant get the RH side heatshield off. Any suggestions about the uppipe? I havent noticed any increase in RPM/spool which id expect if there was a hole before the turbo - wouldnt it need to push harder to spin the turbo if there was a hole?

The above pipe is now out of the game as it had a good feel and there are no leaks from it - it also joins up with the main flow from the radiator so is indeed a coolant pipe.

The smell is stronger above the turbo/uppipe area when leaning into the bay. Any thoughts welcome
Old 13 August 2007, 06:31 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

check the lid on the power steering bottle....famous for this drip when in traffic...mine had it and dripped onto manifold exactly where that is !! 18 quid for new lid from stealership....

Trending Topics

Old 13 August 2007, 07:51 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabskyline
check the lid on the power steering bottle....famous for this drip when in traffic...mine had it and dripped onto manifold exactly where that is !! 18 quid for new lid from stealership....
Strange you say that - my PS lid is half dirty and half clean. I put it down to me not being thorough enough when I was cleaning the bay as its under the intake. Ill check that out thanks!
Old 13 August 2007, 10:39 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

its hard to spot but you get that whiff and a puff of smoke and you think ! shiit !! its common...hth rab.
Old 14 August 2007, 09:29 AM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Well i had a good look last night and although half the cap is dirty and there are some tiny dribbles that go down (dried in) there is nothing wet on the pipes etc below the PAS bottle

It still smelling the same when its first started from cold in the morning too. Going to book it in with my mechanic to see what he thinks
Old 14 August 2007, 10:43 AM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

you wont see any drips....its as if its not really leaking..replace it...its a cheap fix !!! i didnt see any on mine...just changed it as a mate had it with his and thats what it was !!!!