Sponsored by:

EVO OWNER WANTS TO KNOW

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2007, 09:04 PM
evo,7
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO OWNER WANTS TO KNOW

im an evo 7 owner and wanted to know if you had the chance to have an evo over your scooby would you,and if yes why?and if not why not?
i have read many a post on the mlr about which is better and why and just wanted to see what your views were like on hear.before i bought my first evo i was going to buy a scooby as i have always been fond of them,but i managed to get some extra money and at the last min i went for the evo.anyway be kind to me its my first post
Old 06 August 2007, 09:08 PM
Panthro
Scooby Regular

I did, It was a choice between an FQ300 VIII or my 2002 Bugeye WRX STI PPP. I just chose my scooby because it has way more character, road presence, sounds nicer, better interior, is just as quick and I preferred the way it handled (this is all my personal opinion).Plus it was 2.5k cheaper
Old 06 August 2007, 09:10 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I prefer the torque hit of a Scoob and the driver appeal....Evo drives you, you drive the Scoob.

Still love the Evo, for an out and out fast car(it will defo beat a similar performance/weight Scoob), but the Scoob does more for me. Cant beat the noise.
Old 06 August 2007, 09:11 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think I'd own one over a Scooby to be honest. They seem to need more expensive services more often, for the same performance, and before you argue I'm talking the jap models here. As there's no point comparing a UK Evo with a UK Scooby, because the UK Scoobys are indeed pants compared to the UK Evos, Jap Vs. Jap though, Scooby - regardless of money had. However, I have not driven an Evo... soooooooo my comments should be taken with a pinch of salt !
Old 06 August 2007, 09:13 PM
Mo.k
Scooby Regular

I have always thought about an evo 6 tme but if i do get one it will be to try one so i can see for myself what it's like and i don't think i would keep it that long due to the cost of maintenance and short service intervals and ......
......i will probably end up in a scooby again but it's what ever takes your fancy mate no matter what it is as long as it puts a grin on your face
Old 06 August 2007, 09:13 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

You're hardly going to get an unbiased opinion on a Subaru forum mate.
I must admit I've been tempted a few times to change to an Evo but feel there are too many characteristics of the Subaru I'd miss. I'm not one of these Evo's are the better car in every department types (or vice versa) and just accept Evos do it for some whilst the Subaru does it for others.

A very warm welcome though
Old 06 August 2007, 09:52 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i had my heart set on a evo4.i had go in one and was very impressed.had a go in a scoob and felt it was the one for me.i know the evo was quicker but i like the handling of the scoob,noise and character.plus it was cheaper all round.i think i would still have a evo at some point.

Trending Topics

Old 06 August 2007, 09:54 PM
scooby-doo-where-r-u
Scooby Regular

I've always fancied an evo (6 TME) and June 2006 I went out and got myself one!!!! I Still kept the scooby as i didn' want to sell her and then find i didn't like the evo....
Anyway, just sold her last week in favour of the scooby , but the cars are worlds apart to be honest. The evo would out perform and handle my scooby any day of the week, but i felt really high up compared to the scoob, i missed the rumble and the way my scooby handles. I have an STI type r and although i enjoyed the evo, it wasn't..... as enjoyable as my impreza is and it had these two things on the rear qtr's that allowed passengers to get in..... whats that about...

The interior on the 6's is the biggest let down, its the same as a colt, which isn't good, but they have sorted this out now.

If i'm being honest i would like to have kept both, but the insurance, tax and running of the two was getting out of hand.. They both have plus points and also negatives, but i ticked more +'s in the scooby column!

Cheers

P.S. Be carefull the MLR don't suck you in, you seem quite switched on and.... dare i say it normal! Give it a few months and they will try and suck your brains out with the mentality that AYC rules the road

Enjoy the 7 and when you want to start driving again, get a scooby........
Old 06 August 2007, 09:55 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

In between my previous scooby and the current one I had an evo 6 xt330....what a car. Very very quick, brutal acceleration and rock solid handling.

I couldn't fault the car for my personal use, but as a car that goes quick AND carries the family comfortably if needed, the scooby beats it hands down.

Oh yeah.....then it threw 2 pistons through the block and I really lost interest in it then!
Old 06 August 2007, 09:57 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

had one evo..loved it !! rapid ! better out of the box than any sti ( ive had a few) but still i stay on the scooby side..better by day and cheaper to repair/service etc.. but love both.........just two very different cars imho !!
Old 06 August 2007, 10:07 PM
evo,7
Scooby Newbie

the one thing i found very hard when looking for a scooby was getting all the extras i wanted for the money i had and on a scooby that i liked the look of.when i say extras i mean aircon with climate control,driver and passanger airbags,intercooler waterspray,electric mirrors/windows,white dials, and a few other things that i cant remember but the evos came with all of these on the model i could afford plus as standard it had the usual 276bhp where as some of the scoobs i was looking at were only around 220bhp i think.
Old 06 August 2007, 10:19 PM
evo,7
Scooby Newbie

personally the points i like about the evo are the driver aids such as ayc,acd but then i am a gadgets man so the more buttons to play with and computors controling things the better for me.also the i prefure the more aggresive ride the evo has to offer.imo the evo is more hardcore than the scoob and is more of a weekend/track day car but that said the scoob would be a better every day car that you can drive to work in comfort but still with 95% of the fun of an evo.
Old 06 August 2007, 10:25 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

look on you tube for the Top Gear test of an STI against an Evo. Clarkson driving round mountain roads in Scotland. He said at the end when it was time to go back to the hotel he always took the Subaru. Back in the studio Hammond agrees Scoobie the best.

I do like Evo's nice car but happy with my Subaru
Old 06 August 2007, 10:31 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yes but evos don't have the rumble lol

that is what set the Imprezas among other performance cars
it just has bags of character
Old 06 August 2007, 10:32 PM
bandit890
Scooby Regular

Did this twice ,Evo 7 for 18 months, awesome car but was forced into a wall and was write off.
then bought my Scoob,bit less out and out performance but felt alot more planted and gave me more confidence driving fast.

I then got the chance for a cheap Evo 7 again so took the plunge,only kept it 10 months then sold for another Scoob.
The Evo was an awesome bit of kit,and felt a lot faster than my present Scoob,but somehow the scoob was more confidence building when really going for it. As a daily driver the scoob wins hands down as I used to find myself going to work in my crappy old Mondeo over the Evo. Also running cost came into it and the insurance is £600 cheaper .

I wouldnt get to the slagging evos off stage as both the Scoob and the Evo can deliver the same grin factor ,but in the end its just down to personal preferance
For me thats the SCOOBY

Ian
Old 06 August 2007, 10:33 PM
evo,7
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
look on you tube for the Top Gear test of an STI against an Evo. Clarkson driving round mountain roads in Scotland. He said at the end when it was time to go back to the hotel he always took the Subaru. Back in the studio Hammond agrees Scoobie the best.

I do like Evo's nice car but happy with my Subaru
yes i have already seen that clip.but also it has been said for the track the evo is the one to have.its whatever meets your needs better i suppose.just to clear it up my evo 7 is my second evo as i had and evo 4 before.
Old 06 August 2007, 10:42 PM
evo,7
Scooby Newbie

what about attention in your scoob,do you get alot?as i get loads of attention in the evo which i dont mind,get alot of people taking photos ect and asking questions and not just young people.i dont think i would get as much attention in a scoob as without sounding rude there is alot more of them about.anyway hear is a pic,what do you think?

japfest 2007
Old 06 August 2007, 10:45 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`ve had 2 classic Imprezas and 2 bugeyes.
I`ve now owned my Evo 6 for 1 year.

As much as I still love Imprezas and the Subaru marque, I doubt i`ll ever return to ownership now i`ve experienced the darkside

I have a company car though, which helps as I wouldnt drive the Evo everyday, its nowhere near as comfortable at low speeds as a scooby, but saying that it feels so much more composed at higher speeds than any of my old cars did

Initially I missed my burble when changing to the Mitsi, but the exhaust system, induction kit, suction pipe and dump valve being blanked off have really changed this beast noise-wise and now it sounds mental, especially on boost

Ideally you need to drive both cars to make up your own mind as plenty swear by both cars and some go back to Imprezas, some return to the Mitsubishi way of life...........because of personal taste basically
Old 06 August 2007, 10:50 PM
hallsy67
Scooby Regular

ive had my sti for 3 months now and before i bought it i looked at evos as well. i drove several fq300s 7s and 8s and a few stis from 03 up. the evo was faster and gripped like mad but as i use my car everyday suspension was far too hard for me and running costs ie servicing etc were more expensive, dont get me wrong the sti isnt cheap to run but as an everyday car the subaru hit all the right buttons plus i got a lot newer car (still in warantee) for the money. i still love the evo and if it was just a weekend toy would probably of gone for it but for everyday use the scoob just pipped it. mine doesnt have the burble but at the end of the month will be tinkered with and will have the fantastic flat four burble which will put an even bigger smile on my face
Old 06 August 2007, 11:08 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evo,7
what do you think?

japfest 2007
sexual
Old 06 August 2007, 11:13 PM
evo,7
Scooby Newbie

just out of intrest what would a 2001 model sti put out bhp wise?and also same year but standard wrx model bhp
Old 06 August 2007, 11:13 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

love my evo

Old 06 August 2007, 11:15 PM
evo,7
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RRH
love my evo

a fellow e7 owner .fq300 or gsr mate?
Old 06 August 2007, 11:16 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

I was very tempted to go for a nice Evo 7 or 8 when I was looking to buy my current Scoob, but the fact that it is my "everyday" car won the day for the Impreza.

My decision was based upon service intervals and costs and also general day to day running. I know the Impreza isn't the cheapest car to run, but it still works out considerably cheaper over the year when you are doing 10 to 12K miles.

At Ten Of The Best I had a good look at some of the Evo's on display and to be honest, I think they are a better looking car than the Scoob by some margin.........black ones look fookin

If I'd been buying a toy/second car, I'd have had a Evo....definitely!

I also love the whole Subaru Impreza "scene"....the average owner/enthusiast is probably about 35 to 45 years old and is pretty mature (there are exceptions of course)...the whole NBO/Shootout thing is great and after being without a Scoob for a year, I was itching to get back into the fold.

Evo next time maybe!!
Old 06 August 2007, 11:28 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evo,7
a fellow e7 owner .fq300 or gsr mate?
started life as a GSR, now just a touch short of 600bhp
Old 06 August 2007, 11:28 PM
evo,7
Scooby Newbie

well i must say you seem a friendly lot on hear as i was half expecting to get slagged off within a few posts because i bought up the word evo.shame that all scooby members cant be traeted so well on the mlr when they post about the same subject,tbh its disscusting the way some people are treated on there because they have a scooby ect, you would think there murderers not differant car owners.
Old 06 August 2007, 11:31 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

its no different on here usually tbh, just depends who's around at the time.
Old 06 August 2007, 11:33 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I'm a WRX owner but I think Evos are great cars too. It's just the running costs that put me off - I can get 30mpg from the scoob and service interval is 10K miles so for a 20K-a-year driver it's a no brainer.
Old 06 August 2007, 11:34 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I get about 12 out of the evo but it makes me smile
Old 06 August 2007, 11:35 PM
evo,7
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RRH
strated life as a GSR, now just a touch short of 600bhp
600bhp mine is a gsr with air filter and cat back exhaust,so around 300bhp.but thinking of decating it plus down pipe and fitting a dawes device to get around 350bhp.do you know what boost yours ran as standard as mine is about 1.2-1.25 bar peak and thinking of turning it up to 1.4bar.

Quick Reply: EVO OWNER WANTS TO KNOW