Car Tax question

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2007, 12:14 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Tax question

Bit of a weird question perhaps.
Is it legal for someone else to go buy car tax for me?

Now for the story

Car tax due today went into Post Office yesterday and found out my insurance document ran out 14 July BUT when i phoned my insurance company they said it runs out 14 August so they will have to send me a covernote (which they dispatched yesterday) BUT it seems the Postal service happens to be on strike today and i've had no post.

(Yes i know i should have done it earlier )
Old 31 July 2007, 12:16 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need insurace that specifically covers your car to be able to tax it, so unless someone has insured your car in their name, they can't help!

Simon
Old 31 July 2007, 12:18 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
You need insurace that specifically covers your car to be able to tax it, so unless someone has insured your car in their name, they can't help!

Simon
Bugger
Old 31 July 2007, 01:10 PM
woody2846
Scooby Newbie

The owner of the vehicle needs to be named on the insurance too.
There are a couple of ways around it-tax the car online- you will need to call the insurance company to get the serial no.
Or alot of companys will email the cover note directly to you then print it out-I think there is a rule though that it must be printed on a laser printer.
Old 31 July 2007, 01:23 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got tax without my insurance a few times. when my tax is due, I get my dad to get it for me, as I can never get to a PO in time. He can use traders insurance that covers him for most cars. There are people in the motor trade that charge 40 quid to get tax for you, its all legal (apparently).
Just for the record, I have only done it when I couldn't find my cover note in time. I'm always insured. Its crazy not to be.
Old 31 July 2007, 03:18 PM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Just get your insurance company to fax the updated certificate or if they're not happy to do that a temporary cover note.
Old 31 July 2007, 03:24 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick_wrx
Just get your insurance company to fax the updated certificate or if they're not happy to do that a temporary cover note.
Been told a fax copy of the covernote is not good to use but hopefully it will turn up tomorrow anyway.
Old 31 July 2007, 04:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it online, they will know if your insurance is valid or not and as long as the tax disc has been done online your ok until it arrives

Tony
Old 31 July 2007, 04:32 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Do it online, they will know if your insurance is valid or not and as long as the tax disc has been done online your ok until it arrives

Tony
I've been informed by the DVLA that displaying an out of date tax disc is an offence even though i would be legally taxed on the DVLA database.

think this is my lesson to get my tax as soon as i'm allowed
Old 31 July 2007, 04:36 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I've used the online system 5 times now, amazing!!! saves having to go through the filling cabinet to find the mot etc, plus the time to go to the post office.

One thing I did found out was if your insurance/mot runs out before the end of the month and you wanted to renew it before the end of the month but still within the 14 days it won't let you until either you have updated either the insurance or MOT
Old 31 July 2007, 05:39 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

postal stike?theres not one here, didnt think they only done it place by place thought when they did it was the whole country? am i wrong?
Old 31 July 2007, 05:42 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by explore
postal stike?theres not one here, didnt think they only done it place by place thought when they did it was the whole country? am i wrong?

Place by place my ****, i thought exactly the same until i looked on their website and http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...diaId=51600692 all Mail centres on strike how the **** is that not countrywide?
Phoned them up and they said they couldn't guarantee any first class delivery.

it doesn't help because i'm annoyed with myself (should have got tax sooner),insurance company for not printing the correct date on the certificate and now the lack of info on what is actually affected and when it's affected

Last edited by myblackwrx; 31 July 2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 31 July 2007, 09:41 PM
jturbo
Scooby Regular

ive got trders insurance and can tax any car as long as its mot,ed, and i can have up to 10 cars on it and dont have to tell them ive got it for 2 weeks and its only £540 a year beat that if you wer near mate id of taxed it for ya
Old 31 July 2007, 10:15 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Place by place my ****, i thought exactly the same until i looked on their website and http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...diaId=51600692 all Mail centres on strike how the **** is that not countrywide?
Phoned them up and they said they couldn't guarantee any first class delivery.

it doesn't help because i'm annoyed with myself (should have got tax sooner),insurance company for not printing the correct date on the certificate and now the lack of info on what is actually affected and when it's affected
mmm
well today my post came just like it does everyday, i even went to the local mail centre to ask about a lost item and there were open not very helpfull tho, i also went to the main post office to tax my car and guess what, that was open too. maybe we are lucky here?
Old 31 July 2007, 10:19 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

mmm
well today my post came just like it does everyday, i even went to the local mail centre to ask about a lost item and there were open not very helpfull tho, i also went to the main post office to tax my car and guess what, that was open too. maybe we are lucky here?
Thats what has annoyed me some people do get post and some don't in virtually the same area their helpline wasn't helpful basically they said you may get post you may not w@nkers
Old 01 August 2007, 06:00 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Thats what has annoyed me some people do get post and some don't in virtually the same area their helpline wasn't helpful basically they said you may get post you may not w@nkers
i know the last month i have lost loads of stuff i sold on ebay, and to get your money back can take months i think this is very unfair or them, the only way to send anything via royal mail at the mo to make sure it gets there and on time is spec del next day, so now you have to spend alot more to send a parcel just cos there service is fecked up, i cant see them recovering from this with all the people that are going to be putting claims in. maybe we will get a postal service that works!!!
Old 01 August 2007, 10:54 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

As long as you can produce original certificate of insurance, Valid MOT if applicable then anyone can Tax the car for you, you don't have to go in person, unless you're paying by Debt/credit card.
Old 01 August 2007, 10:56 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scotthldr
As long as you can produce original certificate of insurance, Valid MOT if applicable then anyone can Tax the car for you, you don't have to go in person, unless you're paying by Debt/credit card.
Old 02 August 2007, 08:50 AM
Tracie P
Scooby Regular

Online is deffo the way forward, always do it now for both car and bike.

no fuss easy
Old 02 August 2007, 10:38 AM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

mmm
i also went to the main post office to tax my car and guess what, that was open too. maybe we are lucky here?
the Post Office would be open as they are not on strike, only Royal Mail. The Post Office and Royal Mail are totally seperate companys. It is like Tesco going on strike and being suprised that Sainsburys is still open.