Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17" Rays STI 10 Spoke wheels, What are they worth??

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2007, 01:07 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17" Rays STI 10 Spoke wheels, What are they worth??

I bought a set of wheels with the intention of using them as track wheels but when I picked them up I realised they weren't the normal run of the mill STI wheels.

They are a set of 17" forged Ray STI 10 spoke wheels, They have "STI" moulded on one of the spokes and have "Subaru" "Technica" "International" stamped between three of the other spokes and "Forged" between another. They also have carbon fiber centre caps with Subaru Technica International and RAYs.

These are ginune items and weigh next to nothing

I believe these came standard on S202's, I've found them on Gruppe s's website for $650 each so with shipping and tax+vat they work out around £1900 a set.

These are being refurbed at the moment, They have been bead blasted and with the powder coaters as we speek. This is costing around £400 for the refurb.

So what are they worth, Do I sell or keep???
Old 27 July 2007, 02:05 PM
klunker
Scooby Regular

£400 for a refurb .............don't know about the wheels but thats worth going elsewhere.

Defo keep though as they will only go up in value IMHO

Last edited by klunker; 27 July 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 27 July 2007, 02:07 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

I have had wheels done before for £30 for each so that sounds a bit excesive
Old 27 July 2007, 02:15 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

sell them to me

Keep them, pay for the refurb (else £400 is loads should be closer to £50ea), and make everyone jealous

Last edited by trails; 27 July 2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 27 July 2007, 02:26 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

How much would you sell them without re furb?
Pm me if you want.
off to work so wont reply till later
Old 27 July 2007, 02:58 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

You'll be surprised how much it cost to get things done properly, simply painting on top of old paint is not the right way to go. I could of got them painted for £25 a corner but if your going to do something you may as well have it done right once rather than loads of times on the cheap

It's cost £25 per wheel to bead blast, This was done in three processes to ensure they were perfectly clean and free of any rubbish but ensuring the base metal wasn't damaged.

Colour matching the metalic bronze isn't cheap due to the price of the powder coating paint and the minimum you have to order.

I was quoted £70+Vat a wheel elsewhere to have them dipped, sand blasted, primed, coloured and top coat by a wheel refurb company. But powder coating is a far better finish which stands up to salt and it won't fade due to Uv etc

Anyhow back to the question.

How much are they worth??
Old 27 July 2007, 03:02 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
You'll be surprised how much it cost to get things done properly, simply painting on top of old paint is not the right way to go. I could of got them painted for £25 a corner but if your going to do something you may as well have it done right once rather than loads of times on the cheap

It's cost £25 per wheel to bead blast, This was done in three processes to ensure they were perfectly clean and free of any rubbish but ensuring the base metal wasn't damaged.

Colour matching the metalic bronze isn't cheap due to the price of the powder coating paint and the minimum you have to order.

I was quoted £70+Vat a wheel elsewhere to have them dipped, sand blasted, primed, coloured and top coat by a wheel refurb company. But powder coating is a far better finish which stands up to salt and it won't fade due to Uv etc

i'd say somewhere between half and a third of the origional list price...depends how much yur prospective buyer really wants them I guess...
what colour have they been refurbished, thats also got to have a bearing on their value?

Trending Topics

Old 27 July 2007, 07:45 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

£100 a wheel is to much IMO, approx £30-50 is the average, thats the full ish as well not just painted.

Nice wheels though, if you want to sell them i would be interested,good luck whatever you decide.

Mac
Old 27 July 2007, 10:32 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I was quoted £35 a corner to blast and powder coat. More for paint match, that was £40 a corner.

Cannot comment on quality, car was written off before I got back to them to do it Oh well.
Old 28 July 2007, 03:28 AM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

As above... PM or email some pics and how much you want without refurb as my mate can refurb for me. Very interested
Thanks
Old 28 July 2007, 07:10 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

yep they look like genuine S202 wheels to me if they are the same as the picture mate and very rare/valuable
If you get them painted the same colour will you let me know the paint code.
thanks
Old 28 July 2007, 09:38 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simonbb1328
As above... PM or email some pics and how much you want without refurb as my mate can refurb for me. Very interested
Thanks
soundss liek the refurb ork is already being done.

Danny - bring one to the next meet, i would be interested to see the finished article.
Old 28 July 2007, 12:21 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Can we get back on to the topic of how much they are worth post refurbed.

As I've said they have already been bead blasted and they are with the powder coaters at the moment, So there is no point asking for them to be sold to you without the refurb.

I've paid for a quality refurb not some cheap £25-£35 back street job that won't last a winter, I could have them done at the local paint shop but these are quality wheels that deserve the job doing right.

Please no more comments about how cheap you can get a refurb, it's not really on topic!!!

Rob,
I'll bring one down to the next meet so you can have a good look see

I'm open to offers, I'll get some pictures up once I've picked them up from the powder coaters
Old 28 July 2007, 07:30 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Ok without seeing the quality of the re furb and if they are paint matched, and the age of the wheels, i reckon about £200 each!!!!IMHO

Mac
Old 28 July 2007, 08:00 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ i agree about £800.

Its a shame but 2nd hand wheels aint worth a carrot. and even less as theyre not the original finish.
Old 29 July 2007, 09:35 AM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007

just something you may not know about powder coating, as high temps are use this can cause the wheel to weaken, alloy to crack and buckle, do a search on google, with lovely wheels like these i would have just had them painted.
Andi
Old 29 July 2007, 11:02 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by explore
just something you may not know about powder coating, as high temps are use this can cause the wheel to weaken, alloy to crack and buckle, do a search on google, with lovely wheels like these i would have just had them painted.
Andi
Interesting piece from the ASA

Complaint
RM Coatings Ltd objected to a national press ad for a wheel refurbishment company. Text stated " ... POWDER COATING ALLOYS We do not powder coat alloy wheels as this can cause serious stress damage to the alloys, which can result in cracks and buckles to the alloy as they become very brittle, therefore we do not recommend this type of refurbishment for your wheels. We apply manufacturers finish through all our refurbishment process ... N.B. For safety reasons do not have your wheels powder coated". The complainants challenged whether the ad was misleading, because they believed it exaggerated the likelihood of alloy wheels being damaged by powder coating processes.

Codes section: 3.1, 7.1, 20.1

Adjudication
Complaint upheld
Wheel Services said the powder coating process took approximately 60 minutes and, during that time, wheels were subjected to temperatures of 200 to 210 degrees Celsius; they said the process caused alloy wheels to expand and contract and therefore subjected the wheel to structural damage. Wheel Services submitted photographs that they believed showed damage to an alloy wheel at temperatures of 149 degrees Celsius. They asserted that powder coating damaged alloy wheels and disagreed that the ad would mislead in the way the complainants suggested.

The ASA noted the complainant's assertion that the powder coating of alloy wheels could be carried out at temperatures lower than 200 degrees Celsius and, because this was below the ductile region for aluminium alloys, no structural damage would result to the wheel.

The ASA took independent expert advice. We understood from the expert that the powder coating process typically involved temperatures ranging from 175 to 210 degrees Celsius, although some powder coating could also be done at 145 degrees Celsius. We noted the aluminium alloy wheels in question were likely to be made of alloy 6061, which contained elements such as magnesium and silicon to help improve strength and resistance to hot cracking, and that a typical 6061-T6 aluminium alloy wheel would not be expected to suffer a significant decrease in its strength following powder coating that involved temperatures of up to 210 degrees Celsius and for up to 30 minutes. We understood, however, some different alloys could suffer and the thermal history of a previously-used wheel could also mean it had already experienced damage before powder coating. We also noted repeated powder coating of the same wheel could eventually lead to a decrease in strength.

We noted structural damage could occur to a wheel following the powder coating process, depending on the type of aluminium alloy used. Although we considered it reasonable to alert potential customers to this and for Wheel Services to express their opinion on the matter, we considered that the claim "N.B. For safety reasons do not have your wheels powder coated" exaggerated the possible damage that could result to alloy wheels following powder coating and was likely to mislead. We told Wheel Services to remove the claim and advised them to avoid implying that powder coating would definitely result in structural damage to all alloy wheels. We advised Wheel Services to consult the CAP Copy Advice team for help with amending the ad.

The ad breached CAP Code clauses 3.1 (Substantiation), 7.1 (Truthfulness) and 20.1 (Marketer denigration).
As for the value, that's difficult as somebody will only pay over the odds (compared to a "run of the mill" wheel) if they really want the rays, I'd have thought around a grand for somebody who does?
Old 29 July 2007, 11:08 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Interesting reading,

I thought they should be worth somewhere between £800 and £1000.

With regards to whether they are worth it, I've had quite a few alloys over the years and these are by far the lightest I have ever handled.
Old 18 August 2007, 10:36 AM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

did you get these from ebay??