ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It cant get much worse today.

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2007, 09:24 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default It cant get much worse today.

My car was booked into Api today for its Mot. I thought I would set off early and leave plenty of time. This is when it started to go all wrong. I havent used my car much this year and I keep in stored in a relatives garage at the moment. I had left the battery charger on trickle charge , only to find that it had become disconnected, so the battery was flat. I had to return home to get the jump leads and a tow rope as I couldnt push the car out of the sloping garage.

After messing about positioning the two cars so the jump leads could reach each battery I left the rescue car idling for 5 mins while it charged the scooby before I started the car. It wouldnt start, why!! . Eventually I realised that the jump leads were dodgy and needed a repair. Car still wouldnt start. The immobiliser light was flashing erratically. I thought I had buggered the circuit with trying to start the car with a flat battery. I decided to disconnect the battery earth lead and then reconnect it. This cured the immobiliser problem and the car now started. On my way now, only 45 mins wasted, still time to make it for the MOT appointment.

Well on the way I noticed there was something wrong with the brakes. Nothing too noticable driving steady but, when pressed hard the car would veer sharply to the left and nearly went into a hedge . As I made my way to Api there were no other problems until I got within 15 miles of APi, then all of a sudden the car began to shake violenty. I quickly pulled over to find the font offside brake disc had turned blue and the wheeled had siezed solid. Api recovered me and got me back to their place.

They performed a brake service and found the front pads had no copper grease to ease sliding back and forth in the calipers. David recommended that they change the brake fluid as it could of boiled. This revealed the real cause of the brake fault. The guys werent able to get any fluid out of the bleed nipple on the OS front caliper. It turned out to be the braided hose which had developed a blockage, after being on the car 4 years( I have never heard of this and neither had David or the mechanics). On went on a new set of goodridge hoses, bled, road tested and all was fine. Time for MOT, albeit several hours late, but they managed to fit me in.
It passed ok, yippee . Things cant be too bad.

Well on the way home the car began to stall at the lights and wouldnt maintain idle, I suspect sticky ICV. Then to cap it off, the rear tyre blew out , leaving me to drive home slowly on my space saver. A long 12 hour day, but I must thank David and the guys who rescued the day by sorting out my problems and still getting my car mot'd

Andy

Last edited by andy97; 23 July 2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 23 July 2007, 09:30 PM
Ste1711
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not your day today matey.
Old 23 July 2007, 09:34 PM
steve nic
Scooby Regular

WHAT A BUMMER ATLEAST YOU GOT YOUR MOT DONE!THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER
Old 23 July 2007, 09:39 PM
Turbo Teddy
Scooby Regular

What a fun filled day. I had a flat on the morning of my MOT and thought that was bad enough!
Old 23 July 2007, 09:46 PM
BeeSTi
Scooby Regular

Location: Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out

Look on the bright side Andy, you could live in tewksbury
Old 23 July 2007, 09:51 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

I had my doubts about getting to Api, as I had heard that certain parts of Warwickshire had suffered from flooding.

Andy
Old 23 July 2007, 10:01 PM
cos500
Scooby Regular

Get it used abit more, they dont like sitting around. even once a week should help.
Old 23 July 2007, 10:31 PM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

next year it might be a good idear to get the car ready.. but then again if you do you will take away all the fun! just think you can sit back a laugh about it now, so its all good
Old 23 July 2007, 11:11 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

API top blokes
Old 24 July 2007, 12:40 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any good news?
Old 24 July 2007, 09:14 AM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

and people worry about buying a higher mileage Scooby which is used daily

At least it was all Ok in the end
Old 24 July 2007, 09:21 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
My car was booked into Api today for its Mot. I thought I would set off early and leave plenty of time. This is when it started to go all wrong. I havent used my car much this year and I keep in stored in a relatives garage at the moment. I had left the battery charger on trickle charge , only to find that it had become disconnected, so the battery was flat. I had to return home to get the jump leads and a tow rope as I couldnt push the car out of the sloping garage.

After messing about positioning the two cars so the jump leads could reach each battery I left the rescue car idling for 5 mins while it charged the scooby before I started the car. It wouldnt start, why!! . Eventually I realised that the jump leads were dodgy and needed a repair. Car still wouldnt start. The immobiliser light was flashing erratically. I thought I had buggered the circuit with trying to start the car with a flat battery. I decided to disconnect the battery earth lead and then reconnect it. This cured the immobiliser problem and the car now started. On my way now, only 45 mins wasted, still time to make it for the MOT appointment.

Well on the way I noticed there was something wrong with the brakes. Nothing too noticable driving steady but, when pressed hard the car would veer sharply to the left and nearly went into a hedge . As I made my way to Api there were no other problems until I got within 15 miles of APi, then all of a sudden the car began to shake violenty. I quickly pulled over to find the font offside brake disc had turned blue and the wheeled had siezed solid. Api recovered me and got me back to their place.

They performed a brake service and found the front pads had no copper grease to ease sliding back and forth in the calipers. David recommended that they change the brake fluid as it could of boiled. This revealed the real cause of the brake fault. The guys werent able to get any fluid out of the bleed nipple on the OS front caliper. It turned out to be the braided hose which had developed a blockage, after being on the car 4 years( I have never heard of this and neither had David or the mechanics). On went on a new set of goodridge hoses, bled, road tested and all was fine. Time for MOT, albeit several hours late, but they managed to fit me in.
It passed ok, yippee . Things cant be too bad.

Well on the way home the car began to stall at the lights and wouldnt maintain idle, I suspect sticky ICV. Then to cap it off, the rear tyre blew out , leaving me to drive home slowly on my space saver. A long 12 hour day, but I must thank David and the guys who rescued the day by sorting out my problems and still getting my car mot'd

Andy
Sounds to me like you have **** car.
Old 24 July 2007, 09:24 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez Andy!! whose flower bed did you p*ss on last Saturday night. Must have been someone with influence I reckon.

At least it got home though. Probably worth considering giving a blast a bit more often if time allows to keep it all moving and free.

Better Luck, David
Old 24 July 2007, 01:17 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Bit over the top no?
Lets see what reaction you get when you have some car trouble.
Old 24 July 2007, 01:23 PM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

Default wow

better luck next time i would use it abit more storage over a long time can cause real probs
cheers mick
Old 24 July 2007, 05:07 PM
Kit B
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Sideways;7132978]and people worry about buying a higher mileage Scooby which is used daily

Good point

At least you managed to get it sorted out .
Old 24 July 2007, 05:18 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Sorted my idle problem with a clean and tweak of the ICV. New pair of F1s going on tomorrow. Then I'll fiddle with the electronic gauges /displays over the next few weeks/months.

Not at all, just an under used, reasonably modified beastie. Ive owned this car from new and in the last year or so it has gone from realatively standard car to a track orientated car, with virtually all the work undertaken by APi. My problem was Ive not had much time this year to use it, I missed SS0 due to wedding invitation and the rest of the time Ive spent rennovating our house. The house isnt that far off being finished, so more time for pleasure activities.

Andy
Old 24 July 2007, 06:31 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

She's punishing you for not driving her enough ;-)
Old 24 July 2007, 07:06 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like the wife is doing the punishing! what with weddings and redecorating etc. etc.

David