Sponsored by:

Any advice/input would be very helpfull

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2007, 09:45 PM
essex_jamie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice/input would be very helpfull

Ok i went out in my car tonight (1993 WRX Impreza) and it was all warmed up so on the last few stints home of the by-pass i thought id open it up a little.

As i was giving it some it was going ok going upto around 6.5k revs no problems, then next time i go down the next bit of road it hessitates at 5k revs like its hitting the limiter at 5k, so i back off a bit then put foot down and it goes back upto 6.5k revs. (could this be down to someone crap taking the limiter to de-restrict it? Or could it be some spark plugas (i remember my cosworth doing that when the plugs where pooped)

There was no smoke coming out the back of the car when letting off/or going on boost as far as i could tell!

I decide to pull over and look at the engine and there was some smoke/steam coming from the top drivers side of the bonnet (not massive amounts and no colour as far as i can tell)

When i opened the bonnet to investiagte it looked like the smoke/steam was coming from around the turbo area but not 100% sure.

It did have a kind of smell to it bit like a burning smell, my friend said it could be oil or some fluid dropping onto the turbo or exhaust, but that wouldn't make it hessiate, my other friend when he came round said it could be turbo seals.

I noticed my dump valve was OPEN when the engine was running but obvoiusly no boost going through it? I guess thats a broken dump valve

So any advice help would be so appreciated it will be going to a garage as soon as i can, what could be the problem and whats prices for

TURBO (stock one)
TURBO (up-rated one if its worth it)

If turbo has gone will i need to change some engine components or just the turbo

I have owned 5 turbo cars and this is the 1st time i have ever had a problem

Thanks
Old 11 July 2007, 11:02 PM
essex_jamie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone