ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Wax Service

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2007, 12:55 PM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax Service

Hi guys quick check I think this is the case, my MY05sti had its 1st wax service done in its 1st year. Its 3rd year is up in november so 2nd one is due. If I dont have it done does it invalidate Subarus bodywork warranty?
Old 10 July 2007, 05:04 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Whats one of those then?
Old 10 July 2007, 05:12 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Never heard of that myself, certainly not offered to me by my local stealer.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:58 AM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

Well as far as I understand it all type-UK spec Scoobs get a wax body service at 1yr then 3yrs. I havnt seen it myself but they drip hot wax onto the cars body. If i look at the door bolts and seals currently they all have a slight white wax substance round the joins, this according to subaru gives extra sealant for the UKs wetter climate.

As I remember Subaru will not honour their 7 yr paint warranty if you dont have this done hence why I was checking on here. Dealer charges you about 250 quid i think it is.
Old 11 July 2007, 11:04 AM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllyJ
Dealer charges you about 250 quid i think it is.
I've not heard of this either, but ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ might be why
Old 11 July 2007, 11:11 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If you want to keep the 10year anti-corrosion warrantee, then yes, you will need to get the bodywork and chassis inspected as per the stated intevals in your service book, any damage (chips in underseal etc) will have to be rectified at your own cost.

People that don't bother (i.e most people) will have their extended 10yr body warrantee invalidated, in such cases only the normal manufacturerr's warrantee will apply (1yr or 3yrs depending on where the car came from). Extended dealer warranties rarely cover corrosion.

Last edited by Shark Man; 11 July 2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11 July 2007, 11:14 AM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

bodywork inspected? is that the same as having a wax body service sharky?
Old 11 July 2007, 11:16 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Yes, it should be.
Old 11 July 2007, 11:16 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone ever successfully claimed on the warranty for rust issues as a direct result of having had this wax service?

sounds like 250 down the pan to me
Old 11 July 2007, 11:18 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

£500 for two... be cheaper getting it waxed as part of a professional valet and paying to get any body work repairs as and when.
Old 11 July 2007, 11:20 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Nope, didn't bother getting it done (cambelt service was enough to make me run screaming from the main dealers - never to return ).

But the car was 10 years old when I sold it and had no rust underneath or on top, the only exception was a small stone chip on the roof, where the rubber stoppers rub on the boot jamb, and the front and rear inner bumper crossbeams and radiator surround/bracket. None of which I suspect could have been claimed for if it were still warranteed....

Are the newer cars 7years now? Obviously not as good as they used to be
Old 11 July 2007, 11:35 AM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

its not some polish bod putting wax on the body work and buffing it if thats what you mean lol.

As far as I know as a friend of mine had it done on their classic a few years back they poor hot wax onto the length of the car and let the wax seap into the seals, its not something specifically for body panels its more for underseal door points, under side of the car etc as the wax drips into gaps and joins around the car.

I will ring the dealer and find out what exactly it is they do, as I plan on keeping my scoob for a few more years i want the warranty for the rust honoured by subaru and give them no reason to refuse it.
Old 11 July 2007, 11:44 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

The more general term is Waxoyl (ok its a product name, but thats what people call it). It's used in any body cavities as a thick liquid which eventually dries fairly hardish. Its usually yellow in colour (although you can get it in any colour now - even clear). One of the main properties is it has the ability to capillary creep so can get between where two panels that intersect. If anyone wondered what the goop is behind trim panels (excepting the sikaflex ) that's probably what it is.

Pretty much all new cars have it, and any car that has had an insurance approved body repair should have the area affected retreated.
Old 11 July 2007, 12:12 PM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

well that's impressive, service reception at Wilson Subaru in Romford and Days of Chelmsford, one had never heard of it! the other er I dont know we shall call subaru and find out jeeezus
Old 11 July 2007, 01:03 PM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

Ok spoke to Days again - it's actually £150 for the service exc VAT so 175ish. They checked and this DOESNT invalidate your Anti Corrosion Warranty so it is not necessary to do, even though the manual advises it and has the stamp area for it in the log book!

I would think having it done makes the FSH that little better maybe.
Old 11 July 2007, 01:12 PM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

i think it is underseal and they check the body for rust etc but i have not heard of anyone changing panels under warrarty. but if you dont have it done it will vailldate it.

so up to you
Old 11 July 2007, 02:06 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that its a good idea...

judging by the few people that know about it I don't expect many people will be looking for it in the service history. Even a large 5L can of Waxoyl costs around £20. Underseal you can buy it tins and paint on if you have any patchy areas underneath. I wouldn't get a dealer to do it
Old 11 July 2007, 04:07 PM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

yeah fair point m8, trust me when i come to sell I will point out it has had its 2 subaru waxoyl treatments at the subaru dealer with the stamps, gotta be worth another 50 quid
Old 11 July 2007, 05:13 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Ok spoke to Days again - it's actually £150 for the service exc VAT so 175ish. They checked and this DOESNT invalidate your Anti Corrosion Warranty so it is not necessary to do, even though the manual advises it and has the stamp area for it in the log book!

Wouldn't recommend Days for the body treatment, not impressed when I had my first Scoob done there. Wax was everywhere including glass and trim, looks like they had tried to remove the excess on the paintwork with the mechanics greasy rag from hell.

Never again.

Allan
Old 11 July 2007, 06:32 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

while i would agree with your thinking mate, i'm a paper work nut when it comes to cars (you know the type, old tax discs, service receipts, chits for a nut and washer to hold on the mudflap) but even i would find it relevant for about 5 seconds before turning my attention to inevitable stone chips waiting to greet me!

never had one done myself in the 8odd years of scooby ownership and i can't say the dealer has ever mentioned it either. plenty of better things to spend your money on