Advice needed on buying an STi around MY03

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2007, 11:55 PM
muffking69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed on buying an STi around MY03

Hi guys.
I thinking of rejoining the clan after being out of scoobs for a while (since the days of early imports).

The missus wants me to buy a Mazda 6 MPS, which is a 4wd 260bhp 6.6sec similar sized saloon. Personally I think the MPS 6 is a nice comfy looking but quick sleeper, but she hates Scoobs (an opinion still based on our old '93 import). The reason for the post is that the top trumps figures keep going round my head and I'm thinking facelift STi which I know will kick most @rses.

In order to turn her head I'm thinking just to get hold of a demo from a used car dealer to convince her, but what I really need to know is how would an STi get on as a company car doing company miles at speed for long durations.
Basically, how are the 2.0 Turbo engines for high mileage, what are the service/timing intervals, and what is the general Impreza reliability like at around MY2003 (as ideally I'd go for a post bugeye).

Answers on a postcard guys
Old 05 July 2007, 08:20 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Only downside I can see is fuel consumption if you're doing a lot of miles, for speed I assume you mean normal UK motorway speed and not silly speed on an Autobahn which will expose cooling limitations.

I have an 03STi that has done 47k with lots of mods and it has been reliable, oil pressure is as it should be. Ride on standard springs is poor and I'd say get Prodrive springs and geometry done as a minimum. Normal servicing is at 10k intervals although I change oil at 5k because of mods and track days.
Old 05 July 2007, 08:28 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

If it's a family car and will be used for higher mileage then a WRX may offer a better ride and comfort than an STi. I must say I wouldn't choose a subaru impreza as a family high mileage car I only have one as a second car. Maybe look at a legacy ?