OMG,06 WRX leaking rear window

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2007, 06:17 PM
greerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG,06 WRX leaking rear window

hi guys

with all this heavy rain we have been having.

i park my car on my path which slopes down. and yesterday i opened my boot to find a pool of water. not good, looked in the boot and around where the window joins the boot water is getting in.

im thinking that this is the water staying in the channel around the boot in the coners by the bottom of the window.

has anyone else had this.

im thinking that the rear window needs to be resealed, do i have to take it back to subaru or can i go to autoglass etc....

or any other suggestions how to seal it myself.

many thanks

Jamie
Old 30 June 2007, 10:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Can you actually pinpoint EXACTLY where it's coming in? If so, how?

I've had THREE leaks in my car's boot, (it's a '98 UK car).

It's had a VERY minor one around the rubber seal at the back end of the boot, (nearest to the bumper), which I fixed by removing the rubber trim, and reseating it on non-setting mastic.

It's had a fairly serious one where water came in over the top of the n/s rear light. Cured by removing the light and then as above.

And it's had a serious one along the bottom edge of the rear screen. This took AGES to find, and only really showed up by the car being CONSTANTLY wet inside, LOADS of condensation

One day I accidentally left a notepad on the rear parcel shelf, and IT got wet through. Then I realsied that the rear seats, the rear parcel shelf and part of the boot were soaked too.

It was eventually cured by doing a complete strip of all soft trim in the rear of the car, including boot, soaking out as much water as possible, drying off all trim parts in the house and treating with Febreze because they all smelled damp, and getting the rear screen removed and re-sealed. I was lucky, one of my best mates is a car glass fitter.

I then stood a dehumidifier in the car for three full days, and took out over 8 LITRES of water!!

It seems to be settled now.

If yours has any warranty, get them to sort it, especially if you can tell where it's coming in.

If no warranty, I think you'll have to bite the bullet. My mate says trying to seal a windscreen other than by removal and reseating is p*ssing in the wind.

Alcazar