Sponsored by:

ALLOY WHEEL REFURBISHING BUSINESS

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2007, 10:55 AM
greatwhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALLOY WHEEL REFURBISHING BUSINESS

I am to be made redundant soon, and I am concidering starting up a mobile alloy wheel refurbishing business with some of the proceeds(not a can of laquer and a roll of masking tape)

Can any of you that have had the service done on your wheels indicate what kind of service you had, be it from a mobile or workshop based, to give me an idea of what the customer requires and how much you paid.

Thanks in advance

Graham
Old 29 June 2007, 03:12 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Good luck with your venture. I paid £47 including Vat per wheel. This wasn't a mobile business though. I only needed 2 doing but had to get all 4 done as they couldn't do them in the standard grey colour. I think what most people would want is a quality job and being able to match different colours of alloys. e.g different shades of silver and smoked grey etc. where u from?
Old 29 June 2007, 03:15 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much money in mobile stuff these days due to the cost implications of insurance (vehicle & contents), fuel and maintainence of the vehicle..

Good luck though.
Old 29 June 2007, 03:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

had a natter today with jase about my wheels when they were refurbed.

belive metal magic in barnsley charge £35+ v.a.t. (approx £6.12) per wheel. another £5 per wheel sees the wheel balanced again. so less than £50 per wheel.

for the price the work is the best ive ever seen. absolutley immaculate.
Old 29 June 2007, 03:51 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Renowheel Did mine on my old Impreza, OE PFF7's from silver to brilliant white.

They strip the tyre off, bead blast, then do a cneck for cracks, buckles and repair any dings, then prime, paint and lacquer, refit the tyres then balance. I would also mention that the local Merc garage use them as do a number of local car clubs, Classic cars etc.

That said they aint cheap either at £85 notes all in but for work, finish and professionalism A1 from me

Ouch!

After

Before
Old 29 June 2007, 03:58 PM
donnas roo
Scooby Regular

I paid £30 for each wheel to be refurbed. Top job and they cleaned the car.
Well impressed.
Old 01 July 2007, 05:28 PM
greatwhite
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all of the coments and pics.

I cant see how offering a mobile service would be dearer to operate than one with premises? The reason I am going for a mobile service is so that I can offer a service cheaper that the statics.

I will be investing several thousands in the the latest UV systems that will enable me to refinish the wheels to a very high standard, in a reasonably quick time( 4 kerbed wheels in around 2 hours), and it will be done at the customers home, work or any other site to suit. I was thinking of charging in the region of £30 + VAT per wheel. I will be offering the service in and around Hemel Hempstead.

There are alot of companies that only refinish the face of the wheel, is this acceptable to most peeps or would you rather pay slightly more for the inside of the wheel to be done as well?

I will let you know when its all up and running.
Old 01 July 2007, 05:35 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a van maybe cheaper than premesis *BUT* Think about it though.. If your mobile you can only do one set of wheels at a time.. at £120 a pop for two hours that £60/hour, you've got to take into account your vehicle maintainence/fuel costs and the cost of your paint and other consumables.. Your fast dry hardeners/paint are going to come at a premium.. And you'll be lucky to find someone to insure your gear in the van! A friend of mine is a mobile locksmith with over £100k worth of gear in his van and he cant actually realistically insure it..

So lets say its £40/hour after expenses, that may sound good to you but you it wont be solid work, you'll be driving around to customers at various places so that time isnt paid for...

I really dont think you could be competetive with current businesses and make a healthy living.