Sponsored by:

very very peculiar problem !!

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2007, 07:10 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very very peculiar problem !!

hiya guys i made a thread a few days ago about my boost not running quite right but the problem is stranger than we 1st anticipated wondering if anyone out there may be able to help me !!

92 WRX JDM
i drive the car no problems whatsover running on 0.8 bar boost providing my foot is 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down but if i put the foot right down it seems to splutter boostwise not violently but , the boost guage drops then reboosts , drops then reboosts it basically flickers between 0.6 and 0.8 anyway if you drive it hard (foot to the floor) after its done the flickering and rises to 7k revs its as if it completely dies !!! as in my rev counter actually hits 0 .. then 2 seconds later the counter jumps back into action , this is really really confusing me , at 1st i thought it may have been the crank sensor but now the fact the rev counter is hitting 0 its sounding more like a wiring problem to me , has anyone else ever ever heard of this problem or one like it ?
i only bought my scooby a week ago and i put it in the garage a day later to see about getting this problem sorted out , and were al really confused ! can anyone please please shed any light whatsoever ??
Old 28 June 2007, 07:23 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Is the gauge in Bar ?? Sounds like over boost which is cutting the fuel & therfore dropping the revs, or boost spikes which is really the same.

WHat mods do you have on the car ??

Dean
Old 28 June 2007, 07:33 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Z5 ECU fitted i think thats the only real engine mod on it mate , but excuse me if thats not correct im a newb !!
Old 29 June 2007, 06:32 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The overboost cuts the fuel until the boost drops below the limit, then reinstates it, then curs it again...sound familiar?

The rv counter dropping to zero is an electrical fault for sure, but that could also be a crank sensor issue, no output = no engine speed = tacho to zero!

Simon
Old 29 June 2007, 09:27 AM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering whether a faulty crank sensor would fool the ECU into misbehaving?

If the crank sensor or something else is faulty, you should be able to get an error code via the Check Engine Light - you need to connect two connectors together under the dash. A search on here will reveal the instructions on how to do this.
Old 29 June 2007, 03:27 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

well were now thinking it could be the map sensor , could this sound right to you guys ?? we hooked it up to the cpu and theres some strange readings coming off the map sensor , it came up with no input whatsoever then we tried my other (std) ecu on it and there was a strange reading off it . i asked if it could be the coils but the garage reckons becuase its not a pack and its actulally seperate coils they shouldnt go at once.. I have it back now anyway , im just gonna take it easy for the next 2 weeks as my king mechanic is away on holiday and since he hasnt charged me for the work so far i cant really put it anywhere else