Sponsored by:

Hotels in the land of the brave...

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2000, 10:05 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm taking a couple of days off to do a "Felstead" next month, but in slightly more luxury and in daylight!

(if you're new around here, I mean I'm going to drive up to the top of Scotland, then across, then back down again. Top roads, top scenery, and not much traffic... excellent!)

So... I'm planning to spend a night in Ullapool and then a night in Thurso. I've found a few likely looking hotels on the Scottish Tourist Board website, but I was wondering if any of you had any personal recommendations? Or any to avoid? I'm going to need a good nights kip and a decent breakfast if I'm going to get the most out of that remote tarmac!

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Old 29 October 2000, 10:14 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

It's not quite on your itinery but -
One excellent place I use for touring Scotland is the Cairngorm Hotel in Aviemore.

It's nice, if a bit 'traditional' in decor, good food & bar. It's just off on a loop from the A9 so is close to everywhere.

From there you can reach the North coast in a day easy!

What's more it is only about £25/night!!

Check out
Old 29 October 2000, 12:13 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Get a copy of "A Taste of Scotland". It recommends Hotels and B&Bs that do good food. They are not all expensive. The few places I have tried serve fantastic food. The Old Pines at Spean Bridge - just north of Fort William - is good. The Old Mill at Talladale - just south of Gairloch - is also good. It is only about an hour south of Ullapool, so it might suit your itinary.

Watch out for the sheep in the morning. They sleep on the road, which is warmer than the surrounding hills, if the previous day was sunny.

Charles
Old 29 October 2000, 12:17 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

I don't think warm roads will be a problem in November!

That guide sounds handy - where do you get "A Taste of Scotland" from? Talladale might be an idea, although ideally I'd like to stay on the coast.

Ta,

S
Old 29 October 2000, 03:37 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Are you two related?

Thanks for the Cairngorm details - I ski/walk in that area every now and then and have always gone self catering in the past. Too far out for this trip though!

Cheers,

S
Old 31 October 2000, 11:37 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Cool

Obviously from all the replies I'm going somewhere *really* remote ... better make sure I take an emergency Mars Bar or two.

S
Old 01 November 2000, 01:55 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Steve,

Once your are north of the Great Glen it is remote. I don't know where you would get a copy of "Taste of Scotland" down your way. You could try W.H.Smith. In Scotland it is widely available at local tourist offices or places like W.H.Smith.

Talladale is on your route. The road north does not keep to the coast all the time.

I hope you enjoy the trip

Charles

Trending Topics

Old 01 November 2000, 04:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I went up last week - had some grrrrreat blasts about.

I stayed at a castle near Perth that i found on
Old 01 November 2000, 05:40 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Guys. I'll check out the castles link later!

Anyone know how easy it is to get petrol on a Sunday up there???

S
Old 01 November 2000, 06:11 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I'm taking a couple of days off to do a "Felstead" next month<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you mean driving!!! LOL

Have fun up there, fantastic roads. I see you are being a bit more sensible than me!! I was on a mission though! LOL
Old 02 November 2000, 01:32 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, driving it is. What else could it be? Maybe lusting after scooby-babes if recent postings are to be believed

As you've "been there, seen that, bought the t-shirt" Mr F - any handy hints? The choice of roads looks pretty obvious to me from the map and from previous experience up there, but what about petrol availability etc?

Do I need to fill up at every oasis in case they all shut Sunday??!

Should be a great weekend, esp. if I'm lucky enough to get clear weather. I may have to go back with my walking gear in Spring. Mmmmm....

Cheers,

Steve
Old 02 November 2000, 01:35 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Fill up wherever you can!

Hope you don't need SUL...

Rich
Old 04 November 2000, 12:09 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

Trusty old 95RON will do for me! Should be able to find enough get between pockets of civilisation. I'll take my sleeping bag and trangy stove just in case though...

OK, I'm looking to book in to the Royal Hotel in Thurso and the Caledonian in Ullapool (mainly because I can enquire on these on-line). If anyone is interested in repeating my route, I'll let you know what they were like once I've been

Cheers,

S
Old 04 November 2000, 11:05 PM
PETER WALKER
Scooby Regular

Steve,
I live near the Old Pines at Spean-Bridge that was mentioned already and can thoroughly recommend it for good grub.but the real reason I'm writing, is to insist that if your coming up to this area, you have to try "the best Scooby road in Scotland" in my opinion anyway.If your going to Ullapool its actually more or less on your way. Take the A82 up from Glasgow or if your comming up the A9 turn of at Dalwhinnie over to Spean Bridge. Head for Invergarry(where I live) Take the A87 Kyle of Lochalsh road,after about 40 miles look for the A890 Strome ferry/Lochcarron road,head for Loch carron then on to Kishorn. Now this is where the fun begins! The road from Kishorn to Applecross is the road I'm talking about. It carries on from Applecross to Sheildaig.After you've got your breath back you can head on past Torridon-Kinlochewe-Gairloch and on to Ullapool.
Old 05 November 2000, 10:57 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I like the look of that one, Peter!

I've revised my plan, as once I worked it out properly the middle section was too short. Day 3 is a bit of a long one, but I want to keep Day 2 short-ish(the best bit) so I can relax and have fun!

Here it is (accomodation booking & petrol "crisis" allowing):

Day 1:
Bradford - A65 (watch for police Impreza) - M6 - M74 (Glasgow) (205 miles, 4 hrs)
then
A82 - A87 (Kyle of Lochalsh) (180 miles, 4.5 hrs)

Day 2:
A87 - A890 - Applecross - Sheildaig - A896 - A832 - A835 (Ullapool) (140 miles, 3.5 hrs)
then
A835 - A837 - A894 - A838 - A836 (Thurso - Surf Capital of the North - no, really, the Kayak Surfing World Champs have been held here before!) (122 miles, 3 hrs)

Day 3:
A836 (John O'Groats - might as well ) - A9 (watch for Gatsos) - M90 (Edinburgh) - A7 - M6 - A65 (500 miles, 11.5 hrs + maybe a sleep break or Travelodge if I can't hack it safely)

Total: 1147 miles, 26.5 hrs driving

What do you think!

S
Old 06 November 2000, 12:33 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oi! That's fightin' talk that is! ROFL

Yeah, well OK maybe not *quite* as hardcore as your trip , but...

a) I want to see some of the scenery in daylight
b) I'm no Simon De Sideways in the driving department, so I need to be alert to get the most out of the roads (which is the whole point in going in the first place)
c) My girlfriend would have kittens if I tried it anyway

Steve

Oh, and FYI, it already HAS snowed in Scotland...have a look here for the weather:
Old 06 November 2000, 12:59 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Regarding petrol, last 3 places for SUL are Beauly, Inverness and Invergordon. If possible buy your normal unleaded petrol in either Thurso or Castletown, as you are talking well over 90p a litre in Wick, and make sure you fill your tank when you reach Inverness, the last place of normal priced petrol.
Once north of Inverness, no Gatsos, however watch out for dark volvos, red sabbs and normal police cars.
Not sure about your last day, if traffic is quiet you could make it to Edinburgh in around 4hours from Thurso, so may not take as long as you imagine.
Stayed in Caithness until a few months ago, so can't really say anything about hotels, as my parents provided me with economically viable accommodation.
Old 06 November 2000, 12:12 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

i think you are a *****, easy one day trip that!!! LOL

And its not even snowing yet LOL
Old 06 November 2000, 08:18 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks - thats just the sort of first-hand knowledge I was hoping for.

4hrs to Edinburgh makes the return trip much more palatable - I got the timings from the AA web site, so I guessed they'd be a little pessamistic (sp?) for the country roads

Day 2 is the worry for petrol for me - 262 miles on one tank full is not too likely while driving, erm, enthusiastically!

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 06 November 2000, 10:48 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

You'll be able to get petrol in Ullapool on Day 2.
Old 06 November 2000, 11:49 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

...and dinner too I reckon.

I'm not mega worried now, they have cars in Scotland too I've been told

S
Old 06 November 2000, 11:51 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Mmmm... reading back, I use " " *way* too much.

Must stop that.
Old 07 November 2000, 10:16 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

North of Ullapool the scenary starts to get a bit boring, just rocks and heather then flat bogs. Should be more interesting around the coast though.

Just make sure you dont make a wrong turn though - it can be miles to the next turning/piece of civilisation!

The (very tiny) road to Applecross is well worth it, take it steady going up as it is like driving up a cliff!

Hope the weather is nice, otherwise you will see f***-all (Scotch Mist!)

Try a stop @ Pitlochry on the way back. If you are fond of the Malt's the stop at 'Robinsons' is a must (I spent over £100 last time I called in)

Have fun, I will try to get up there after Crimbo myself (snow permitting)

Chris
Old 07 November 2000, 09:51 PM
JohnS

Glad to see you'll be using some of the same roads that we just travelled along on the Tour D'Ecosse last weekend

The road north of Ullapool has been vastly improved since I last drove it 10 years ago, and now is fast flowing single carriageway all the way to at least Laxford Bridge (we cut off here on the single track to Lairg).

Some of our party did manage to do Glencoe - Ullapool - Tongue - John O Groats - Inverness - Glencoe in about 10 hours of driving.

Normal unleaded is readily available, and Super is available in Fort William, Ullapool (Shell garage - phone ahead a day or two before to make sure they have stocks if you need it, as they'll get some in if they run out), Inverness and Contin (on the way to Inverness from Ullapool).

Watch out for the sheep, who are deadly at this time of year (we had one which tried to head butt one of our stationary cars!!!)

You'll love the stretch from Achnasheen down to Garve, which must be one of the best quality roads anywhere in the UK, with a fantastic road surface, and superb visibility.
Old 09 November 2000, 01:05 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think that's enough info, all I need to do is contain my excitement - can't wait!

Thanks for all the responses. If you want to see the route and where I'm staying see
Old 30 November 2000, 08:30 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well, went last weekend and had a fantastic time! Thanks for the advice (esp. the Applecross road Peter), the roads were great, hardly any traffic, and even the weather was OK.

Don't have time to do an essay now, but here's a couple of pictures ('cos they are worth 1000 words, apparently)

Obligatory pose in front of Etive Mor:

On the way to Applecross:

Cheers,

Steve
Old 30 November 2000, 10:25 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

****, I'm homesick......

Cammy
Old 30 November 2000, 10:29 AM
JohnS

Smile

Sounds like you had a great time, and took our advice on some of the road to drive. Nice to see some blue sky as well

For those who haven't alread seen them, there are some on-line photos from the Tour D'Ecosse this year at:

Old 01 December 2000, 12:25 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

great pics guys,

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms as it's too long since I was last up there

Is this Tour d'Ecosse an annual thing? - sounds great!

Chris
Old 01 December 2000, 01:31 PM
JohnS

Smile

Chris,

yes the Tour D'Ecosse is an annual event, and has been run for the past 3 years We've all got the t-**** to prove it this year as well (as well as fleeces, polo shirts etc)

It's been very successful and popular, and the limited places available always get booked up early. The dates are usually announced around August/September, and get booked up within a week or two.

Quick Reply: Hotels in the land of the brave...