Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well i knew it would happen eventually...

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2007, 01:31 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry well i knew it would happen eventually...

yeah youve guessed it, mr pants driver andy had smacked one of his freshly refurbed wheels in...

story...

was following my cousin on some twisty b-roads on the way to a meal for a family members birthday (from scunny to south ferribly) for those familiar to the area, so i was driving very sanely. was a very tight bend to the right, with a small veer to the left. i thought he was going left, and thus didnt slow down enough for the bend...

realised he was going right, dropped it a gear and braked before entering the bend, locked the brakes like a noob, and crack... skidded straight over the kerb into some grass land.

first of all i slowed down considerably before any contact with the kerb and secondly, was lucky, it was a low kerb to start with, maybe 2/3 inches tall.

everyone in the car was ok (mum brother and fiance) no bangs dents etc on the car. sounded fine, and with the help of my cousin i reversed out to inspect damage out the way of the bend.

couldnt believe i hadnt snapped a wishbone or dented anything on my bumper/grille/lights.

the damage is my nearside wheel. ive taken a small chunk (around 1cm x 1cm in size and about 2-3mm deep) from my alloy. its almost as it hitting the kerb has creased the lump, as its not just a graze, its like the metal has been squished up. no visable flat spots and it doesnt looked buckled either from inspecting vigorously. hopefully just a refurb, which is good considering.

but the tyre is of concern too. i have 215/40/17 tyres on so have a rubber lip that sticks out a little near the rim. this has a slit in it approx 2cm in length, and about 4-5mm deep i think. right on the edge near the rim.

im hoping i dont need to replace it, or that would mean 4 new tyres would it not?

car drives fine so far, and no pulling to one side or swaying from the suspension, so im glad of that. feel a berk about it, but just wondering on peoples advice, besides the obvious be more careful etc etc.

for the record it was very wet, not raining however, which i admit should have taken more into account when braking.

in the dry, maybe a little screeching, but i think i would have avoided a collision with the kerb. all other wheels tyres are fine, just the nearside one is causing concern...

advice appreciated, and yes i feel a knobber for not judging the bend/driving conditions better.

may try get a pic up later on...

andy

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 22 June 2007 at 01:33 AM.
Old 22 June 2007, 01:55 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Shame
But they are ok

hey at least you could give us another decent sketch.
Old 22 June 2007, 01:56 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Jamie*
Shame

hey at least you could give us another decent sketch.
via paint or the good old pencil paper...
Old 22 June 2007, 01:58 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I like pencil work and i do like the skill you have But back on topic
Old 22 June 2007, 01:59 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Jamie*
I like pencil work and i do like the skill you have But back on topic
hoping at worst il have to fork out a few quid on another refurb thats if no other damage is done when i get it checked over anyways...

i dont wanna fork out for 4 new tyres, havent got £260 available unless i got a good price for the toyos on already that are part worn.
Old 22 June 2007, 09:21 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

That's a bummer.

How old are the tyres Andy?
Old 22 June 2007, 10:15 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2007, 10:17 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
That's a bummer.

How old are the tyres Andy?
about 6 months and 6-7,000 miles
Old 22 June 2007, 10:19 AM
New_scooby_04

Andy,

Chin up, you made a mistake -we all do from time to time- you've acknowledged it and will learn from it, the car can be fixed and will be fine and no-one involved was hurt.

All the best,

Ns04
Old 22 June 2007, 10:21 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Andy,

Chin up, you made a mistake -we all do from time to time- you've acknowledged it and will learn from it, the car can be fixed and will be fine and no-one involved was hurt.

All the best,

Ns04
oh yeah i realised i wasnt gonna make the corner and kinda preped the car for a collission i guess. just need to know whether i need to replace tyres etc.
Old 22 June 2007, 10:22 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I replace tyres in pairs and don't usually change all 4 at the same time. Damaged alloys can usually be refurbed, you'd be surprised what can be done. Try pristine wheels in MK. I once flat spotted 2 front tyres on an sti typeR. Was fighting with the ex and she wouldn't shut up. Accelerated to ??? mph and then slammed on the brakes to a standstill. With no ABS there was an impressive pair of tyre marks up the road and it shut her up. Flat spotted 2 nearly new front tyres though

If there's concern over the tyres then change them, it's not worth suffering the consequences for a few hundred quid.

Last edited by scoobynutta555; 22 June 2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 22 June 2007, 10:23 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
oh yeah i realised i wasnt gonna make the corner and kinda preped the car for a collission i guess. just need to know whether i need to replace tyres etc.
Pics me thinks. Sidewall damage is usually bad news though.
Old 22 June 2007, 10:26 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you will get away with changing just the damaged tyre.

Banny
Old 22 June 2007, 10:28 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
I think you will get away with changing just the damaged tyre.

Banny
Reckon if he needs to change the tyre, he also needs to at least change the tyre on the other side of the axle.

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 22 June 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 22 June 2007, 11:03 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Bad luck Andy, it happens, though. I slid mine on new wheels straight into a kerb on snow. Smacked the front wheel and had to get it refurbed.

At least you know where to get your wheel refurbed, though

That A1077 Scunny to Barton road is a menace, bad bends, bad sightlines, nowhere hardly to overtake, loads of slow lorries etc etc. But will North Lincs even THINK about any PROPER improvements? Nope, they just trot out the mantra: "there's no bad roads, only bad drivers."

Where, exactly, where you?

Alcazar

Forgot to say: sidewall damage is SERIOUS. Get it looked at/changed before it lets go and puts you off the road in a ditch, upside down

You'll probably get away with two tyres.
Old 22 June 2007, 12:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Bad luck Andy, it happens, though. I slid mine on new wheels straight into a kerb on snow. Smacked the front wheel and had to get it refurbed.

At least you know where to get your wheel refurbed, though

That A1077 Scunny to Barton road is a menace, bad bends, bad sightlines, nowhere hardly to overtake, loads of slow lorries etc etc. But will North Lincs even THINK about any PROPER improvements? Nope, they just trot out the mantra: "there's no bad roads, only bad drivers."

Where, exactly, where you?

Alcazar

Forgot to say: sidewall damage is SERIOUS. Get it looked at/changed before it lets go and puts you off the road in a ditch, upside down

You'll probably get away with two tyres.
its a particularly nasty bend to the right just after winterton, i think. cant remember was a bit boggled after it all. the bend is a sharp right with a little hidden black/white arrow sign stating so. it veers straight ahead too, and is very misleading. im just gonna take a pic now...

andy
Old 22 June 2007, 12:07 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

its a particularly nasty bend to the right just after winterton, i think. cant remember was a bit boggled after it all. the bend is a sharp right with a little hidden black/white arrow sign stating so. it veers straight ahead too, and is very misleading. im just gonna take a pic now...

andy

LOL. Is "boggled" a Scunny word ? A bit like "flustered" ?
Old 22 June 2007, 12:20 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

the slit is about 2 finger widths, 4cm i think...

with my camera phone as the digital camera goes all blurry when i try take a close up pic...
Old 22 June 2007, 02:42 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Erm... Personally, I'd be tempted to bin the tyre and get a new or part-worn fitted.

I've had a tyre run flat on me previously (valve problem). It re-inflated fine, with a new valve, with no apparent bother and I used it for 6 months. When I finally changed all four tyres, I found the inside of the tyre sidewall(s) blistered/cremated, with lots of bobbles lying around inside the tyre. If I had the same situation again, I'd bin the tyre and fit new.

In your case, you've got obvious damage to the outside of the sidewall. It's been squeezed and something's given way. You've written that you had family in the car.

HTH

J.
Old 22 June 2007, 03:07 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy,

Get the wheel inspected, it may be worse than you first think - it maybe cracked

As for tyres, I'd just replace the one with the same brand. Unless yours are very worn, which I gather they're not.

Also, I'd get the suspension checked out, tracking checked etc. Tracking check is free at a lot of places.

Don't leave things like this to chance.
Old 22 June 2007, 05:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Andy,

Get the wheel inspected, it may be worse than you first think - it maybe cracked

As for tyres, I'd just replace the one with the same brand. Unless yours are very worn, which I gather they're not.

Also, I'd get the suspension checked out, tracking checked etc. Tracking check is free at a lot of places.

Don't leave things like this to chance.
appreciate your input. to be honest, the damage to the alloy isnt that bad. id be suprised if there are any cracks, but to be safe, im popping into my mates tyre fitting place tomorrow, to check it out basically. il have the wheel off and the tyre and see how bad the slit is.

i noticed after looking very closely earlier in the light, the slit isnt as deep as first thought. it curves up and has a smaller slit further up, like a chunk of tyre is loose. i think this may save my tyre, but im gonna have him check the tread depth.

anyone know what depth a new toyo is fresh on? could do with a figure to work with thats all.

as for the suspension/tracking... car drives totally straight, and i have/had my suspicions about the suspension before hand, ao when the cars due for a service on july 6th, il have jase check a few things for me...

andy
Old 23 June 2007, 12:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

little update. took my car to mag tyres (a mates business) this morning. had both the fronts off. there is the obvious kerbing to the n/s wheels, but theres kerbing a a small flat spot on the inside of the d/s wheel too. not to worry as im sure when refurbed, its possible to get these small spots out. very hard to see, but i knew what i was looking for.

the d/s tyre has a little chunk missing too, but this is only the rim protector, and so im not too concerned. the n/s tyre has the slit before mentioned in, and this is what makes me think i need two new front tyres.

the rear tread depth is a strong 6mm on both sides, and the fronts are 5mm.

what i wanna know is can i put two njew tyres on the front only, and what sort of tread depth do they have compared to the 6mm on the backs.

i put the current toyos on together in january this year, and the fronts have worn a little quicker than the rears.

dont new toyos have around 8mm? or more/less...

andy
Old 23 June 2007, 01:10 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

little update. took my car to mag tyres (a mates business) this morning. had both the fronts off. there is the obvious kerbing to the n/s wheels, but theres kerbing a a small flat spot on the inside of the d/s wheel too. not to worry as im sure when refurbed, its possible to get these small spots out. very hard to see, but i knew what i was looking for.

the d/s tyre has a little chunk missing too, but this is only the rim protector, and so im not too concerned. the n/s tyre has the slit before mentioned in, and this is what makes me think i need two new front tyres.

the rear tread depth is a strong 6mm on both sides, and the fronts are 5mm.

what i wanna know is can i put two njew tyres on the front only, and what sort of tread depth do they have compared to the 6mm on the backs.

i put the current toyos on together in january this year, and the fronts have worn a little quicker than the rears.

dont new toyos have around 8mm? or more/less...

andy
9mm when new.
Old 24 June 2007, 09:38 AM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

Default andy

hi m8

by looking at pics replace your fronts that will do, allways change in pairs, wheels will refurb no probs, now you just have to remember that bloody corner next time your down that road lol, by the way the action you took before collision was spot on and in the circumstances excellent driving you would have caused a lot more damage.
mickyjeff
Old 24 June 2007, 11:01 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Definitely change both fronts..! ANY damage to the sidewall is bad news..!!!

The good thing is, having just had your wheels refurbed they should be able to match the colour exactly (provided the wheel is repairable..!).

On a side note (and not being funny as we've all done similar things at some point); next time you're following someone along a road you don't, especially when so tricky, leave more gap. That way you should be able to see where the road goes before hand..
Old 24 June 2007, 01:46 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Definitely change both fronts..! ANY damage to the sidewall is bad news..!!!

The good thing is, having just had your wheels refurbed they should be able to match the colour exactly (provided the wheel is repairable..!).

On a side note (and not being funny as we've all done similar things at some point); next time you're following someone along a road you don't, especially when so tricky, leave more gap. That way you should be able to see where the road goes before hand..
advice noted and most definately taken on board.

only thing that worries me, is the post earlier which says new toyos have 9mm of tread, and the backs only have 6mm left. would this not knacker the differentials up? thats my main concern for now... wheels can wait a little while for the refurb, just the tyres being the important bit...
Old 24 June 2007, 07:27 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

I'm sure when my T1R's were new they weren't 9mm, more like 6-7 iirc..?

Either way I doubt the difference will effect anything. Provided you change both fronts I can't see it being a problem. After all, a lot of scoob owners only change tyres in pairs (ie don't rotate every now and then)..!
Old 24 June 2007, 08:56 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Added weight in the vehicle which I assume your not used to helped to account for the accident. What tyres was you car wearing at the time of the incident?

Hate to say it but audi ESP would have kept you out of the kerb.

Unlucky though.
Old 24 June 2007, 09:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Added weight in the vehicle which I assume your not used to helped to account for the accident. What tyres was you car wearing at the time of the incident?

Hate to say it but audi ESP would have kept you out of the kerb.

Unlucky though.

of course it would. i really hope your not trying to incinuate that two people in the back with a combined weight of probaly under 20st. could have prevented the accident had they not been there.

my car was, and is wearing toyo proxes t1-r 215/40/17 tyres. not cheap crappy tyres you will agree.

i would personally rather have a lack of electronic gadgets driving me, and me learn from my mistakes, then become reliant on a 2 tonne barge helping me out.

i can see a small amount of sincerity in your post however.
Old 24 June 2007, 09:10 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

advice noted and most definately taken on board.

only thing that worries me, is the post earlier which says new toyos have 9mm of tread, and the backs only have 6mm left. would this not knacker the differentials up? thats my main concern for now... wheels can wait a little while for the refurb, just the tyres being the important bit...

The days of having to change all four tyres at once are long gone, mate, don't worry. You will NOT "wind up" your diff.

Quick Reply: well i knew it would happen eventually...