Sponsored by:

STI vs. STI Type R vs. STI Type RA

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2000, 08:47 PM
Maximum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'd appreciate some opinions on choosing between a regular STI, a Type R and a Type RA. I don't really care about interior equipment levels. (i.e. power windows, AC, etc.)I'm only interested in performance.

Any general thoughts? Also, how much of an issue is the shorter gearing in the Type R and RA? I've currently got an Integra GS-R so a buzzy engine on the highway is nothing new to me.

Old 26 November 2000, 09:55 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ra's go like stink but box is a bit short for the roads in my opinion, have not driven an R though but there just 2 doors are'nt they (anybody!), i went for a wrx as i was more suited to my driving, best idea is to just give each of them a nice long back to back test drive and see which one you prefer.

Simon
Old 27 November 2000, 12:24 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Good points all!

I looked around everywhere and managed to find the Version 5 Type RA V-Limited (which could have been the longest boot-lid sticker ever if Subaru had stuck that lot on!)

Diff Lock, Water spray, Short Gears, air con, leccy windows all in. Best of both worlds. Plus mechanical lsd in rear and front axles i believe? Sounds like it - and it's very RWD so think i'm right on that score?

Short gearing is no problem (back from Paris on deserted French roads at a 100mph average last night )

18mpg tho!
If you can find one, drive it and you'll buy it... i personally enjoy driving it better than any other impreza i've driven.

Russ

Old 27 November 2000, 08:02 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Type-R.

I went through this when I was moving from my old UK car. Loads of people said that the gearing was too short on the Type-R. On 'real' roads it's superb, making it easy to keep the engine 'on the boil', and the only place you might find it tiresome is the motorway, although hitting 4k at about 80mph means that it's not significantly louder than a 'normal' car - particularly with the stereo on. And, of course, the slightly higher revs can act as a slight deterrent against speeding - I tend to cruise at 85-90mph, whereas in my old car it was tempting to site at 105-110mph...

Mark
Old 27 November 2000, 09:02 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Type R is slightly more demanding to drive than a normal STi, more tiring over long distance and more demanding on the limit due to an increased rearward bias of handling - you may want to consider this is you are used to high performance front wheel drive cars.

Ironically the STi (4-door) that I drive is quietest at exacltly 4000rpm - which with the longer box is around 90, as opposed to 80 in the Type R. So what you may say. So I keep my license longer I say!

I sometimes miss the shorter gearing of the Type R, but with the right tweaking to ECU and Susp I believe the 4-door suits my 'not at the limit all the time' style of driving.

R
Old 27 November 2000, 09:38 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I had the same decision to make a few months ago - in case of any confusion the WRX RA is a pure rally tool ready for upgrading - the STI RA is almost exactly the same as the R except the lack of luxuries and obviously 4drs rather than 2. I chose the RA as I wanted 4 doors and it is a bit rarer.

Having done 3 trackdays with it I would say the rear bias of R/RA is very entertaining especially in the wet, but all the more rewarding. Low gearing is no problem to me - But I dont do alot of motorway stuff.

As Mr Cookie says, take each on for a good drive and also see what the best deal is on each.
Old 27 November 2000, 11:13 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Just bought a new sti typer, coming from a 4door sti4 - can feel the different handling mainly with the added turn-in. Rarely would the backend slide but when it does its Grrreeeaattt and only helps to get the car round the corner faster I wouldn't like to see an amateur fling it into a corner though, but you can have a LOT more fun in the typer.

Its all in the Diff, ratios don't really bother me that much (sti4 is just as quick through the revs) and we don't have real motorways here. STi4 is still incredible but just not so flexible.

Hope that made sense..
PS. yes I did think the revs would be a bit tiring in the uk - i'd try and take on the motorway to see for yourself.

Old 27 November 2000, 12:44 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

If you want the best go for the type r. the ra is a base rally car for prodrive and other rally teams. you will only benefit from the ra if used in competition.I own an sti type r v5 and swear by it
good luck!
Old 02 December 2000, 05:05 PM
Maximum
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks to all for the replies; great information. Type R it is!