Adjusting my driving...

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2007, 10:53 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting my driving...

Hi,

I've had my STI for a few months now and am gradually getting used to it. To be honest they almost drive themselves...

One thing I'm sure I haven't perfected yet is the launch from standing. Once I'm in 2nd it absolutely flies up to 40-50ish (I don't want to kill it) but getting from 1st up to 2nd it feels slow and a bit "jumpy" to me. I think I leave it too long before changing up... but if you change up too quickly you have to wait for the engine and turbo to catch up.

This is my first scoob coming from a naturally aspirated 350Z where you really had to work the gear box to get the power down. How do you lot get the best launch out of your cars?

We should do a scooby learner badge on here for peeps like me
Old 17 June 2007, 11:01 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Nice mota

I'm certainly no expert, but to get my car off the line with neck snapping speed I need to give it atleast 3.5k rpm's. This is not something I do often as its hurts..........but I recently went against a mate on his bike and I had all 4 wheels spinning.................in the dry
When driven like this it can be quite shocking.
Old 18 June 2007, 11:27 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
This is my first scoob coming from a naturally aspirated 350Z where you really had to work the gear box to get the power down. How do you lot get the best launch out of your cars?
Launch Control
Old 18 June 2007, 11:32 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your bogging the turbo down, basically dropping out of its power range.
To be sympathetic with the car, about 4k, bring the clutch up (dont side step it) and add revs, try not to slam into gear, better for a nice smooth change which wont kill your gearbox (they can take plenty of stick but are not as robust as their japanese counterparts due to some components being... lower quality (new age) )

Tony

PS, wouldnt do too many standing starts, fun as they are, it does put strain on your running gear/clutch and will decrease the life expectancy (also read your warranty details if the car is still warranted, abuse is not covered!)
Old 18 June 2007, 12:05 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, will bear it in mind next time. I don't do them all the time, just on the odd occasion I'm trying to convince myself I know how to drive
Old 18 June 2007, 12:12 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

A couple of things I've noticed on my Spec D, having come from a Classic WRX is that on pulling away quite rapidly (I have only done 3,000 miles and so haven’t done a full blooded dump the clutch at high revs yet) I get what appears to be a "chirp" of wheelspin (might be something to do with the take up on the trick diffs) and quite a noticeable smell of clutch especially when the sunroof is open.

The only time I experienced any wheel spin when pulling away in my Classic was either being very brutal on the clutch (4-5k and side step the clutch – once in a while) or when trying very hard in the wet. In both situations, it was over in a fraction. I never had any clutch smell except when I attempted to reface the clutch and flywheel by slipping clutch in 5th gear to do away with clutch judder– seemed more mechanically sympathetic compared with pulling away rapidly.

Anyone else experienced this "tyre chirp" and the smell?

Last edited by GeeDee; 18 June 2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 18 June 2007, 12:36 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that 1st gear is a total waste of time, other than for getting the car rolling.
Power seems to die away after 4k rpm, almost as if the clutch has gone. I presume that this is OTT boost control. 2nd gear also does it to some extent.
I also get problems pulling away smoothly - its either 2 k rpm and a bit of clutch smell or 1k rpm and the risk of stalling. If I try in between then I get clutch judder and the revs are all over the place.

I also get the chirping pulling away quickly but the clutch seem to be smellier regardless of what I am doing.

nick
Old 18 June 2007, 01:12 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I get that with the tyres as well, thought it was just me giving it too much right foot. Could that be down to those tyres that look like semi-slicks anyway?

And yes that was what I was saying about first gear... the power either dies away and you have a lumpy up shift to second or you have to go up very early. There must be a knack to it that I haven't quite nailed yet.

Last edited by Mikkel; 18 June 2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 19 June 2007, 12:51 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Butty mine is exactly the same. I now often use throttleless starts (just ease the clutch up with no accelerator and its fine, on the flat anyway), and I'm now a lot better pulling away using the throttle too.

But 1st gear is very short, 2nd a bit better, but 3rd it flies. I also have problems with the 1st -> 2nd change!

Glad it's not just me
Old 19 June 2007, 12:59 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
(they can take plenty of stick but are not as robust as their japanese counterparts due to some components being... lower quality (new age) )
Are you saying that JDM Impreza's have stronger Gearboxes than the UK versions? I thought the only difference was a shorter 5th and 6th gear?
Old 19 June 2007, 02:16 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Mikkel: if the DV is a VTA it won't be helping things at all.

Have to say, if it is VTA, why put one of these chavtastic items on a Spec D..?

Just a thought..
Old 19 June 2007, 02:30 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Mikkel: if the DV is a VTA it won't be helping things at all.

Have to say, if it is VTA, why put one of these chavtastic items on a Spec D..?

Just a thought..
I'm not one of the text generation, too old, what does all that mean in English mate?
Old 19 June 2007, 04:17 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

dv = dumpvalve
vta = vent to atmosphere (noisey type)

chavtastic = who knows what this means anymore
Old 19 June 2007, 04:31 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the translation.

I must admit I didn't put this on, it was the original owner... but I quite like it. It aint that loud to be honest and you can drive without hearing it at all. I must have a repressed inner chav

So, you think that would effect the way the car pulls away? What's the best performance, non-chavtastic DV available then? (see I am down with the text speak)
Old 19 June 2007, 05:15 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreamer_girl
I now often use throttleless starts (just ease the clutch up with no accelerator and its fine, on the flat anyway), and I'm now a lot better pulling away using the throttle too.
I do this but I always expect to stall.
It deffo doesn't work in reverse - a stall every time

Nick
Old 19 June 2007, 06:47 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Works in reverse for mine....... I think it has an anti-stall, so don't be tempted to use the right foot at all cos I think that turns off the anti-stall. Not tried it on hills really but seems ok on the flat