Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will changin the exhaust on my 06 STI effect my warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 12:10 AM
drtchock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will changin the exhaust on my 06 STI effect my warranty?

i apologise if this is a really dumb question.. i think i already know the answer
Old 13 June 2007, 06:32 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The simple answer is yes - and no, EU law is clear that mods can only be used to invalidate the warranty if it can be reasonably be shown to have caused the failure, although that doesn't stop the dealers/importers etc trying it on.

An exhaust swap could be argued to cause say a hanger failure or a melted back bumper but not an window wiper motor failure or sunroof failure...an engine failure would fall somehwat into a greyer area, but it the warranty provider would have to show it was due to the mod, not the other way round.

Simon
Old 13 June 2007, 06:44 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

How friendly are you with your local dealer too bud?

Steve
Old 13 June 2007, 07:26 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
How friendly are you with your local dealer too bud?

Steve
How friendly he is now and how friendly he would be in 6 months time when engine failure occured could be two different things

As everyone says on here you should have your car re-mapped when you fit a new exhaust. Whether that is to get the best out of it, or to ensure you have no issues is anyones guess.

The usual thing to happen is that an exhaust removes one or more of your Cats. That can result in the check engine light coming on. If you continue to drive and there was a failure how would you talk your way round it with your previously friendly dealer?

Play it safe and assume you have no warranty if you change parts. That way you can't be dissapointed
Old 13 June 2007, 07:57 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Originally Posted by drtchock
i apologise if this is a really dumb question.. i think i already know the answer
You need to be more specific, do you mean the complete system or just the back box?
Old 13 June 2007, 09:23 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

I thought that even under warranty the exhaust system was only covered for a year, so if you change it, it will make no odds, unless it is the zorst that causes a problem that needs a warranty repair, but that will be hard to determine.
Old 13 June 2007, 09:32 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you learn how to put the original parts back or know a man that can. Get it mapped, (even with no mods this is beneficial) but make sure he saves your original map for emergencies. Everything in life is a risk, just depends if you want the most out of your scoob now or later. If you trust your mapper and the mods have been carefully planned it makes no difference now or in 3 years, if its safe modding its safe modding. I would rather it blow up in 3 years and chance my luck, than blow it up just out of warranty. Just my opinion and in no way a recomendation, each to their own and depends what you can afford to lose I guess.

Trending Topics

Old 13 June 2007, 09:44 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

changing the backbox is fine - i checked when I did mine originally, but get a good relationship with your subaru dealer and it helps no end.
Old 13 June 2007, 10:15 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
changing the backbox is fine - i checked when I did mine originally, but get a good relationship with your subaru dealer and it helps no end.

I wonder how quickly that relationship would change if something went wrong though Duncan Not saying it would as I haven't heard of it before but it is a risk
Old 13 June 2007, 10:21 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its not what you know Gary ....
Old 13 June 2007, 10:26 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I wonder how quickly that relationship would change if something went wrong though Duncan Not saying it would as I haven't heard of it before but it is a risk
Last 2 scoobs I have bought things like the BBox and alloys aren't frowned upon, but you are recomended to keep the original fittings until 3 years is up just in case. Full H&S etc need a bit more planning and thought. Changing a BB or alloys or even the recomended disks/pads or tyres for something better is a bit of a grey area I would think. If it makes you feel any better I only ever claimed for a battery on my last 3 years. If you are in any doubt don't do it.
Old 13 June 2007, 11:03 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

They may be happy for you to fit alloys but if you put 19's on and then bearings or drive shafts fail don't expect them to replace them for you F.O.C. Thats the point I am making
Old 13 June 2007, 11:12 AM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

it SHOULDNT as exhaust are wearable.............

however if you were to have an ECU/CAT death that was found to be a direct result of your aftermarket exhaust then they wouldnt pay out.

but if (for arguements sake) a headlight was wrecked, this is uneffected by said zorst
Old 13 June 2007, 11:17 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
They may be happy for you to fit alloys but if you put 19's on and then bearings or drive shafts fail don't expect them to replace them for you F.O.C. Thats the point I am making
and putting the original 17's back on with the full tread they came with might be a give away too
Old 13 June 2007, 12:54 PM
drtchock
Scooby Regular

thanks for all your replies.. im just changing the backbox to a TSL Group N one, will keep the original exhaust and fittings.
Old 13 June 2007, 03:28 PM
Scooby Senior

No different to fitting your 18" Speedline Turini Wheels matey. Just make sure you keep the original for as long as you have warranty.
Old 13 June 2007, 04:24 PM
Smifster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Last 2 scoobs I have bought things like the BBox and alloys aren't frowned upon, but you are recomended to keep the original fittings until 3 years is up just in case. Full H&S etc need a bit more planning and thought. Changing a BB or alloys or even the recomended disks/pads or tyres for something better is a bit of a grey area I would think. If it makes you feel any better I only ever claimed for a battery on my last 3 years. If you are in any doubt don't do it.
Discs and Pads are ok. I spoke to Subaru HQ and they told me that it is fine to replace them as they are consumable.