Sponsored by:

problem with mcgards

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2007, 01:22 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with mcgards

well from what i hear this is a first...

picked up the car today from scoobybits. before i was to come home, i had some new black nuts and a set of new mcgards to put on.

so i pop off a nut on the rear nearside side. screw on the mcgard and hand tighten it on afterwards.
move to the front and start repeating the process. then slip, i feel the locking nut grind and it falls out the thread on the nut. closer inspection reveals the inside of the thread on the locking key has crumbled.

i leave it until i get home, but my car looks a little silly with 18 black nuts and two silver mcgards on the nearside.

now the company i got them off are very reputable in my opinion, so i wont mention names. i sent an email asking if its possible for a replacement, explaining what had happened and i was told in no uncertain terms that "No you haven't been unfortunate at all.

There has never been a faulty set of these ever.

You have either a) started the nut on the wrong thread or b) tried fitting it to a damaged stud.

so i replyed what exactly i did a few mins ago to the email sent to me and i await a reply.

can anyone offer me any advise, or is it a case of just waiting for this company to see if they will replace the locking key. theres no way i over tightened the locking nuts, and there wasnt an air gun in sight. all done by hand.

chris and jase at scoobybits inspected and said the thread looked a little knackered in the middle and could be cheap metal lol. surely not on a set of mcgards?

anywho opinions welcome. i have to either get these two off ofr get all four on as its spoiling my new refurbed wheels

andy
Old 02 June 2007, 02:37 AM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

hmmm

I've had my McGards for years and not experienced this...

If they are indeed a reputable company, surely they'll sort you out....

Jamie
SubieGal.com
Old 02 June 2007, 03:19 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subie Gal
hmmm

I've had my McGards for years and not experienced this...

If they are indeed a reputable company, surely they'll sort you out....

Jamie
SubieGal.com
i hope so. i cant think of anything i did wrong, as ive had mcgards on all my cars and today was the first time one sort of crumbled on me. might take a piccy in the morning and post it up to show how weak the inner pattern on the lock looked.
Old 20 June 2007, 02:44 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

bit of an update on this one. sent several emails to performancesubaru regards sorting out a replacement, and didnt get any replies. phone number kept ringing also. so im not very happy with the after sales service. but seeing as what happened on the recent chrispurvis/jase thread, im gonna leave it at that. doubt il use them again.

so i rung up montys of sheffield on monday and explained my problem to the parts guy. he was very helpful, and all he needed was the key lock no. on the key code card. gave him it, and he said would be around £9+v.a.t. ok a little expensive, but he said he'd call back wednesday and let me know what was going on. he just did 5 mins ago, and he said the keys been made and is ready to post. i wasnt keen on a 100 mile round trip for a key, so i said how much inc postage... said a tenner will do it, forget about the v.a.t.

this coming from a main delaer too lol. so dropped my card details over the blower and hes posting asap.

thank god for that, as i can now pop the other two mcgards on and the wheels will look the same on both sides. plus the two i got on i can remove when needed and paint my calipers. the fact i have this tapping/knocking problem on the nearside of my car, means when it gets serviced in two weeks time, jase/kris can pop the wheels off and see if its my brakes or suspension making the noises... without damaging the wheels removing the mcgards...