Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear windscreen rattle on late model, easy cure.

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2007, 06:21 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear windscreen rattle on late model, easy cure.

after reading the thread on where the crackling rattle sound is coming from on late model scoobs, it ocurred to me that i had the same sound, albeit a little less intense, on my previous car after a new windscreen was fitted, it turned out to be the rubber around the screen creaking against the bodywork. The cure i used on this car has also worked for my MY07 and was as follows.

To see if it is the windscreen causing the noise, push up on the headlining near the rear screen, not the glass it self, but the headlining so the pressure is applied to the roof, if you hear a creaking, then before you go dismantling the headlining and carry out the white-clip fix, get some WD40 type lubricant, or 3in1 or similar, and, starting from the edge, gently prise the window sealing rubber on the roof side of the seal and insert a suitable tool (i used a cutoff of a large zip-tie, as plastic won't scratch the paintwork) slide it along the seal whilst spraying or dripping lubricant in the gap made using the tool.

This has totally cured the noise and took 2mins, i also only noticed the noise after the car had a good wash with particular attention to the seals around the roof, so i assume that the roof and rubber became squeaky-clean and caused the crackling sound as the car body naturally flexed during driving.

i'm happy with my scoobeef again
Old 31 May 2007, 06:42 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a good fix

lets hope the fix works long term for you