Sponsored by:

Private reg plate help

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2001, 05:08 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have bought the other half a private reg for her new car for Xmas (dont worry she doesnt look at Scoobynet !!). It is an Irish plate as that is the only way i could get the right letters (LIB).

The car is being imported (via Litchfields) from Norway and i have been given an estimate of end Feb 2002 for delivery.

With the plate I have bought, can the reg be transferred to my other halfs name but not to a car, so that she owns it, and then assigned to the car when it arrives, or does it have to be transferred between cars ?

I ask this as i am going to have to pay for registration twice if its the latter of the above, as the new car will have to be registered in the UK and then have the plate transferred to it via the DVLA in Ireland. Or thats what I am told.

Can anyone confirm the way it works ?

Dave
Old 21 December 2001, 05:17 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

You should be able to transfer it to a retention certificate. However, the guidance on the DVLA site is unclear. Best to contact them.
Old 21 December 2001, 05:49 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I have read about the retention certificate, but was wondering if the fact that it is a Northern Irish plate to be put on an English car (different DVLAs) would cause retention problems ??

Dave
Old 21 December 2001, 05:53 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The DVLA site says no problem with Northern Irish plates, but it also seems to suggest that only the registered keeper can transfer to a retention certificate (in which case you'd have to transfer to a car/moped, then transfer to a certificate).
Old 21 December 2001, 05:59 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Dave

Not too sure about N.I. plates but I have a reg on retention (V750) at the moment. There is no problem changing the name only on mine but it cost 20 quid. You just send it back with the new nominee section filled out and £20.00 and it comes back to you with the new name on it. If you wanted to change the address aswell you then send it on to the new nominee and they can change the address (for another 20 quid!). Just read through that and its confusing as hell but I hope it helps.

Nathan..
Old 21 December 2001, 06:02 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Dave, The best thing to do is put it on retention, you will pay £105, this includes £80 transfer fee and £25 for a years retention. When you come to assign it to a vehicle it will cost you nothing.If you assign it to your other car and then onto a new one in February it will cost you 2 x £80 (transfer fees). Hope this helps. Mal
Old 22 December 2001, 11:54 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

What I have bee told is that I cannot put the plate on a retention certificate (will have to be a Northern Irish one as the plate is Northern Irish) as I am not a Northern Ireland resident.

So the plate has to be transferred to a English car before I can put it on retention. Either that or the current owner holds it on the car until I can put it on the new car.

Dave