Need some help - 03 Pro Drive or STI +1 more question

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2007, 08:03 PM
Ripon Racer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help - 03 Pro Drive or STI +1 more question

Hi,
Im getting a scooby soon - the 03 blob eye WRX. I have looked at both (Pro Drive and STI). Which is better or are they the same except for different wheels etc.

Also im looking to mod the front of my future scooby like this:

I see this is an STI with fog light covers that clip into place. On the Pro Drive is it the same? they just clip into place or do you have to bolt them on like this?:

Thanks for your help
Old 27 May 2007, 08:40 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

When you say - "I have looked at both (Pro Drive and STI)."

Do you mean a WRX fitted with a Prodrive Performance Pack, and an STI?
Old 27 May 2007, 10:15 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

And do you mean you have your eye on that particular 03 WRX ?
Old 27 May 2007, 11:25 PM
Ripon Racer
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Prasius
When you say - "I have looked at both (Pro Drive and STI)."

Do you mean a WRX fitted with a Prodrive Performance Pack, and an STI?
Yes, I have test driven a prodrive but only seen (not driven) the sti.

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
And do you mean you have your eye on that particular 03 WRX ?
How do you mean? The one in the picture or in general?
Old 28 May 2007, 12:06 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

With the bug eye you can get WRX, WRX fitted with Prodrive performance pack, STi, STi fitted with Prodrive performance pack, STi Prodrive style, STi Prodrive style fitted with Prodrive performance pack.

Totally confusing I know if you're new to it. That's why people aren't sure what you're asking.

Prodrive performance pack (usually known as the PPP) is as you'd expect a performance pack that's worth 30 to 40 bhp for between £1600 and £2k and for new owners most importantly it allows you to keep the warranty.

Prodrive style was available on the bug eye STi and was purely cosmetic, different front spolier style, rear wing, minor chages to interior perhaps, stuff like that.

Sounds to me like you've test driven a WRX with Prodrive performance pack and are also looking at an STi (presumably without PPP).

I had an 01 WRX and an 02 STi with PPP so can't comment on either of yours I'm afraid, sorry.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:10 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

The Sti will have better handling and brakes, but some peeps get fed up with the frenetic 6 speed box. You can of course fit Prodrive springs/ Whiteline ARB and Pagid pads on the WRX PPP and have an excellent car. Different ways to get to the same point, automotively.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:02 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
The Sti will have better handling and brakes, but some peeps get fed up with the frenetic 6 speed box. You can of course fit Prodrive springs/ Whiteline ARB and Pagid pads on the WRX PPP and have an excellent car. Different ways to get to the same point, automotively.
But we also know that there's more to the STi than just those.

You'll either want an STi or not. When driving both examples. Making a WRX to-be-like-the-STi-i-could've bought, will only be a compromise.

Drive them all, see what you prefer. But yes, the 6 speeder can be a handful at first (......first 6m )

Trending Topics

Old 28 May 2007, 11:15 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I found the 6 speeder to be a bit hard work when my STi was new. The car runs out of puff at about 5500 or 6000rpm so you're forever grabbing the next gear.

But after I fitted the PPP it just seemed to work. With PPP the car comes on the power 1000rpm earlier and keeps pulling to the red line so you can keep each gear that little bit longer instead of constantly needing the next one.

So if you get the STi then PPP, or an aftermarket equivalent since you're well out of warranty, is almost essential. There you go, upgradeitis has hit and you've not even driven the STi yet.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:15 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I think cost has to come into this. The ultimate Uk Newage would be a modded Sti, but if you bought a WRX, as i did, and spent the price difference on the mods, I reckon you'd have a car as much fun as a std STi.