Thinking of joining

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2007, 03:10 PM
funkyol
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of joining

Hi All,

I'm thinking of joining as a paid member but wanted to ask; out of all of you who have joined, is the £24 worth it? Of those of you who haven't joined, would you join if it was cheaper?

Oh, and is the keyring any good?

Cheers,

Oli
Old 21 May 2007, 03:46 PM
octain
Scooby Regular

NO
Old 21 May 2007, 03:48 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

It depends on your needs I guess

I have been a fully paid up member for the last 3 years, and when it expired a few weeks ago I didn't renew

I liked the extra PM's allowed, and liked to turn the ad's off (not all of them, just one set of them)

I never really got much benefit out of being a paid up member other than to help finance the running of the site, as I didn't buy things from scoobyshop etc so never got the discount

I no longer go to Scooby events, or use a scoob, and other than asking the odd question, dont really use the site like I used to years ago, when I first got a scoob, its more habit that I visit here these days

With Paid up membership you now get the opportunity to 'infract' people you don't like, or 'infract' them for having an opinion so you can get those users banned (for a short term at least) some people seem to have taken this all a bit too seriously, and infract on a whim

My guess is that they just like the power, and even have multiple paid up accounts, incase their primary ones get banned

The keyring is ok, I have two of them now, but have never actually used them, they are still sealed in the bags they came in

At the end of the day, if you feel like you are going to get something out of the forum (which I have in the past) and feel like contributing to its upkeep then pay for the memberhship
Old 21 May 2007, 03:55 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

im considering it as well. 3000 odd posts in a year seemd to depict i use the site frequently,. and i would probably make use of the offers etc included in the membership price.

plus id like to see what goes on in fight club too.

andy
Old 21 May 2007, 04:03 PM
funkyol
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Sonic'
It depends on your needs I guess

I have been a fully paid up member for the last 3 years, and when it expired a few weeks ago I didn't renew

I liked the extra PM's allowed, and liked to turn the ad's off (not all of them, just one set of them)

I never really got much benefit out of being a paid up member other than to help finance the running of the site, as I didn't buy things from scoobyshop etc so never got the discount

I no longer go to Scooby events, or use a scoob, and other than asking the odd question, dont really use the site like I used to years ago, when I first got a scoob, its more habit that I visit here these days

With Paid up membership you now get the opportunity to 'infract' people you don't like, or 'infract' them for having an opinion so you can get those users banned (for a short term at least) some people seem to have taken this all a bit too seriously, and infract on a whim

My guess is that they just like the power, and even have multiple paid up accounts, incase their primary ones get banned

The keyring is ok, I have two of them now, but have never actually used them, they are still sealed in the bags they came in

At the end of the day, if you feel like you are going to get something out of the forum (which I have in the past) and feel like contributing to its upkeep then pay for the memberhship
Cheers for the response chap. Do you reckon you'd renew if it was cheaper, say £10 or £12?
Old 21 May 2007, 04:09 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

It is cheaper to renew as such, as you can buy the membership without the keyring etc for about 18 quid IIRC

Im not sure whether I would renew, its nowhere near the same as it was when I used it the most, the only reason I guess I would have to renew would be to use the infraction system, but im not that sad
Old 21 May 2007, 04:11 PM
funkyol
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Sonic'
its nowhere near the same as it was when I used it the most
What? This website? Sorry, I'm new here....
Old 21 May 2007, 04:15 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

yep, at least for me anyway

When I first got my scoob, I used to go in all the other forums, general tech, etc etc the proper subaru related ones, now I have no need to, so only tend to browse diy, nsr, photography, and occasionaly general
Old 21 May 2007, 05:15 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Stick around for a while and then make your mind up. I think it's worth every penny, has been a great source of knowledge for me, Scooby or otherwise.

Allan