Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, after all the moaning...................

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2000, 09:11 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

.......... it turned out that tickets for this years Rally GB was the best thing the MSA has done in years!

No queues, no double parking, catering and toilets at all the stages.

Although I too miss the old days of five day rallies over 60 stages, the modern format could not cope with 2 million+ spectators in such a confined geographical area.

Well done Network Q and the MSA.

Geezer
Old 27 November 2000, 01:20 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Geezer,

This proves my point that no-one in the entire world is in the slightest bit interested in anything you say or do.

blubs
Old 27 November 2000, 04:16 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Well said Geezer,

I think it is time for some of the anti-ticketing lobby to make a comment. My experience was that there was less traffic, better organisation of car parking, more one way routes and generally better facilities than in the past. This could have something to do with the stages we chose to watch though. Myherin really was an excellent eveninbgs entertainment, the fireworks were tremendous.

PS - We did Crychan and Myherin on the Friday and took the unclassified road from Llanwyrtd Wells to Tregaron........this was surely the finest (and scariest) road in the whole of Wales.
Old 27 November 2000, 06:21 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Maxwell,

That road, is that the same road as the one from Llandovery to Tregaron taking in the reservoir ? Is so, I know what you mean. Currently in the number 1 slot on my top ten UK roads. Truly amazing especially in convoy.

We managed Tyle, Halfway and Myherin. Top day out.

As for the ticketing ? Well I'm still sort of against it, well the principle of it. But I have to admit, the organisation was much better than last few years. I'm sure that next year will be much better as they will have time to finish the Super Special etc. and improve other aspects.

Cheers

Ian
Old 27 November 2000, 06:27 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

My thoughts entirely on the SuperSpecial!

I still think £45/person/event is a bit much from the £7/car/stage last year - even if you got 3 stages in on Fri/Sat.

Did Rhonda/Hafren Friday
Rheola all day on Saturday (Scooby Central)
Trawscoed Sunday

Shame about the weather!
Chris
Old 27 November 2000, 07:37 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I still think the ticket thing sucks.

I believe that this has had the desired effect of detering loads of regulars and casuals to the event.

I almost didn't go - believing that it would be nigh-on impossible to get into any stages.... however, Sweet Lamb didn't fill up as much as usual (although the normal queue back to Rhayader was present and took an hour to travel 6 miles ).

I then travelled to Rheola, and since we ended up paying £20 to get in (instead of the normal £7) expected to see something different to last year - but no. The same old mud bath, and a few hot-dog stands, pretty much the same as last year. In fact the only difference was that the car parks weren't nearly as full.......

I wonder how much the MSA have *lost* this year with this ticket idea.

If the MSA want to reduce traffic queues, they should spread the rally around a bit more, so that traffic doesn't get concentrated in one or two areas.

I will be back next year, however......
Old 28 November 2000, 12:11 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm with Dave D the rally is now like a round of the BTRDA or the ANWCC, yes the FIA wanted to reduce the size of all WRC events but why not call it the FRAM Filters Rally which only ran in Wales or the Bigger Vaxhall Rally of Wales ??? I have followed the RAC since the age of 14 I am now 29 I have never missed a year,I have also run chase car service etc and this year the idea was good the location was pants. Some of the best stages in the world are in North Wales, Yorkshire and Kielder.

Rant over going to the pub for dinner now Darren.
Old 28 November 2000, 10:40 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

The rally is not going to spread around a bit. That sort of rally is in the past, so smell the coffee!!

Your comment about the car parks not being as full as usual, was the whole point! You didn't get tw@ts double parking and blocking thousands of irate spectators in.

I'm sure the MSA didn't lose any money at all, charging £15 per person per day as opposed to £7 per car!

Watching a world class event of any kind is not a God given right, you should pay for it!

Geezer
Old 28 November 2000, 01:43 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

There seems to be this great hangup about the Rally GB being held in a particular part of the UK and still being called Rally GB.

The rally has to be compact, otherwise costs are too great and manufacturers will leave in droves. So that is that, deal with it. As for the name, do you think other rounds of the WRC roam wildly all around those countries? No! Rally Australia is around Perth, Rally of France doesn't even get o the French mainland!!! It's the World Rally Championship, so our round is Rally GB, makes sense even to the simplest of folk I would have thought!

I agree that perhaps they should rotate the venue around the country, but only Wales and Scotland have sufficient concentrations of forest to hold a rally like this, and who wants to go to Scotland?

Geezer
Old 28 November 2000, 01:55 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You base the rally in Chester or Harogate and you open up all of Mid and North Wales, Yorkshire as in Dolby, the forest of Dean and then head to Lancashire and use the forest around Clithero just of the M6 which there are a lot off. Yes I agree there has to be a balance but the reason is not manufacturers pulling out or cost to them but the FIA setting mileage maximums for each leg of the rally and also the time drivers can spend in the cars for safety reasons.

Darren.
Old 28 November 2000, 10:08 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The big hang-up that I have with the current format of the rally route is that it is all concentrated in two areas, with limited access, and essentially only one route between the two areas. As a result, if traffic is not properly managed, then a good representation of the M25 results!

I can't say I've got any answers, but I know that in the past with a few more well-spaced stages there were very few problems with traffic. What's wrong with Dyffi for example? 3 stages in one forrest and plenty of parking.....

The main uncertainty this year was whether you would be able to get into a stage without an advanced ticket. This certainly put plenty of people off going - which I think is a shame. The rally used to avoid running at the weekend to try to keep the number of spectators down. At least then you knew that if you got to a stage, you stood a fighting chance of getting in. The Network Q website was no use - it didn't indicate how many spare tickets there were, or how many might be able to get into a particular stage.

The other annoying thing was that the individual ticket idea was supposed to provide us all with more spectator friendly areas and trade stands. err, I couldn't see much difference to last year, or the past few previous years either! And who wants trade stands in freezing rain in the middle of a forrest?!

Having ranted on, I did enjoy this years event - the standard of driving was as spectacular as ever! However, the big eppic feel of years past has gone, and will probably never return..... I guess we'll just have to get used to the new format, but could someone please change the location? I'm getting bored with this mid-Wales, south-Wales thing!!!!

While I'm in a moaning mood - was anyone else disspointed with the TV coverage? The BBC used to cover all classes down the field....I can't remember 1 mention of anything other than a Group A8 car - not even a mention of the N4 winner. (I think this needs a new topic being raised!)

grumble grumble - off to pub......