buying sti version4

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2007, 01:38 PM
ice643
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile buying sti version4

hi,
I am in the process of buying a sti version4 1998.The engine has been rebuilt by prosport in Stockport,are they a good garage?.Are the engines reliable?
I have heard a lot of stories of the engines failing.Are their preventive measures i can do from this not occuring.Thanks
Old 17 May 2007, 02:45 PM
ralphandcarol
Scooby Regular

Cannot say about prosport but I am sure someone else will.
Impreza engines are very reliable IF they are looked after correctly.
VERY regular oil/filter changes are probably the main key but on an STi like yours making sure it is mapped for UK fuel is more important.
Shell V power is now pretty darn close to Jap fuel octane ratings but still under so you have two choices:
Run octane booster all of the time or
Get a mappable ECU like a PowerFC or a GEMS or Motech etc and then get it mapped by a GOOD mapper.
Both octane booster (long term) and mappable ECU's are not cheap but a damn sight cheaper than an engine rebuild !!
You will also find with the ECU route that the car will run stronger and better and probably slighlty more fuel efficient as well.............RESULT !!
Old 17 May 2007, 03:37 PM
ice643
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ralphandcarol
Cannot say about prosport but I am sure someone else will.
Impreza engines are very reliable IF they are looked after correctly.
VERY regular oil/filter changes are probably the main key but on an STi like yours making sure it is mapped for UK fuel is more important.
Shell V power is now pretty darn close to Jap fuel octane ratings but still under so you have two choices:
Run octane booster all of the time or
Get a mappable ECU like a PowerFC or a GEMS or Motech etc and then get it mapped by a GOOD mapper.
Both octane booster (long term) and mappable ECU's are not cheap but a damn sight cheaper than an engine rebuild !!
You will also find with the ECU route that the car will run stronger and better and probably slighlty more fuel efficient as well.............RESULT !!
Thanks for that so long as the engine is ok after rebuild .It has only done 5000 miles since hopefully everything should be ok.
Old 17 May 2007, 07:50 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My V4 TYpeR had a rebuilt engine and aftermarket ECU.

It ran sweet as a nut, mapped for UK fuel, for three years.

Apart from that, I cannot fault what Ralph has said.
Old 18 May 2007, 09:27 AM
ice643
Scooby Regular

also my mechanic has told me to check out the gearbox , they tend to go.Is that true?.are the version v4 sti gearboxes stronger than the WRXones.
And finally how much would a gearbox rebuild be.?
Old 19 May 2007, 10:40 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

All the Jap Gearboxes are built to take more power than the UK variat.

The Classic STI versions R/RA seem to be stronger upto version 4.

Unless you are going for more than 350ibs Torque, I would not worry. That is bigger turbo, fuelling and intercooling territory.
Old 19 May 2007, 11:26 AM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice would be to see what was replaced during the rebuild, as it may of been done on the cheap ask the seller if they can produce an itemised bill as it'll give you a better idea what was done.

I had my my98 STi 4 rebuilt not due to failure but i decided to keep the car and it had the dreaded piston slap, Had the work carried out by Roger Clarke motorsport not cheap but top notch work.

When i sold the car it was producing around 390bhp and 360lb/ft on std internals and std gearbox, so it goes to show just how strong a well looked after engine can be.