Sponsored by:

Focus ST - surprising.

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2007, 06:12 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus ST - surprising.

Having a little run out to ensure I cured my MY07 rattly back window (it was indeed cured) I had a play with a Focus ST up my favourite empty slip road and up onto the local d/c.

I was a touch surprised that whilst accelerating up the slip road, I had to change a little earlier than I thought I would in case I ran into the back of him..!!

Now I know it was damp, but I thought it would be quite similar performance wise to my 2.5 Spec D, maybe leaving me a touch around the mid range point..? He was giving it some beans as we both backed off around the 1.1 leptons mark, slowed down to 0.8 leptons and we exchanged an indicator flash and a headlamp flash as I went on my rattle free way.

to the ST driver for having a play.
Old 16 May 2007, 06:38 PM
tony95
Scooby Regular

st3?
Old 16 May 2007, 06:52 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

think a WRX would be faster than a ST so your spec d would eat it wet or dry
Old 16 May 2007, 06:56 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

just to add its always nice when people show mutual respect to each other after a “little play” way better than the normal middle fingerer etc
Old 16 May 2007, 07:19 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Spec D would have np problems i reckon!!!!, nice to see some friendly mutual appreciattion of nice cars.

also there is no engine difference between a ST1,2 or 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,its all different levels of trim.

Mac
Old 16 May 2007, 07:58 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

How many miles have you now done V8?

I was advised at my first service that the oil was not yet fully synthetic until the 10k service and so revs could be built up but it should not be thrashed.

I have to say I am not that impressed with mine yet – still prefer my old Classic WRX which has now moved on. It tramlines everywhere which, combined with being bounced around all over the place makes it not very pleasant to drive. Also find the throttle a bit jumpy whilst being bounced around.

Still, I’m off to Powerstation next week for the Stage 3 AST kit and a proper 4 wheel alignment. I sincerely hope I’m not disappointed.

GD
Old 16 May 2007, 07:58 PM
EIRE
Scooby Regular

Just a quick question for v8voodo.. how did you cure your rattly back window...???
Old 16 May 2007, 08:01 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Most of the Focus ST's around here have been Bluefinned to death! I know the owner of one and it's running best part of 280 bhp with equal torque and it really does fly, It's on a par with my 03 STI PPP in a straight line, How long the engine and gearbox will last is really the only doubt?
Old 16 May 2007, 08:14 PM
Carb Uncle
Scooby Newbie

I nearly bought a Focus but the salesman at the car dealer I use said they cannot be converted to carburettors He recommended the Impreza Sport I have now bought saying they can be heavily modified but so far I see little evidence of this. What is PPP? preloaded Propulsion power? Does this involve removal of the fuel injection system and automatic choke?

Any help appreciated

Carb Uncle
Old 16 May 2007, 11:39 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carb Uncle
I nearly bought a Focus but the salesman at the car dealer I use said they cannot be converted to carburettors He recommended the Impreza Sport I have now bought saying they can be heavily modified but so far I see little evidence of this. What is PPP? preloaded Propulsion power? Does this involve removal of the fuel injection system and automatic choke?

Any help appreciated

Carb Uncle
Are you saying he recommended the sport over an ST?

PPP stands for prodrive performance pack and is designed as an upgrade to the turbo model. As for the Impreza Sport being easy to mod, the guy who sold you the car was talking bull im afraid . The costs involved in getting the sport up to the same performance as a standard WRX, never mind anything more than this, just would not be worth your while.

The sport is a great car but not a good base for power mods, sorry

If your really after performance you are better off changing the car for a turbo model rather than spending money on the one you have.
Old 16 May 2007, 11:43 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gdavey

I was advised at my first service that the oil was not yet fully synthetic until the 10k service and so revs could be built up but it should not be thrashed.

I have to say I am not that impressed with mine yet – still prefer my old Classic WRX which has now moved on. It tramlines everywhere which, combined with being bounced around all over the place makes it not very pleasant to drive. Also find the throttle a bit jumpy whilst being bounced around.

Still, I’m off to Powerstation next week for the Stage 3 AST kit and a proper 4 wheel alignment. I sincerely hope I’m not disappointed.

GD
Had the Eibach springs and fast road geometry done on mine at Powerstation. The difference is worlds appart, far more positive through the corners and no more tramlining. The stage 3 kit is even better, you wont be disapointed
Old 16 May 2007, 11:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

there are some 330bhp and 300bhp wolf st's nocking around

Wolf Ford Focus ST

focus, st, focus st, wolf, wr300, ford focus, ford focus st
Old 16 May 2007, 11:44 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I had an ST trying to race me the other day, I didn't even realise until a pulled over on to the slip road and he gave me the thumbs up.

I honestly wasnt even trying, so in conclusion they aren't that fast (not when rolling anyway)
Old 16 May 2007, 11:45 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Leptons

TX.

PS

Aren't the ST's great looking cars though
Old 16 May 2007, 11:52 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

I had a Focus ST as a courtesy car when a wagon hit my scoob

It was a ST2 and was very impressive I would say it would easily out pace a standard WRX, but was not a patch on my JDM STi, I enjoyed it for the 5 weeks I had it

Handling was superb and the build quality was in a different league compared to the scoob, it felt like I was going back to an old car when I got the scoob back LOL then I drove the scoob and put an even bigger grin on my face LOL

So dont underestimate a Focus ST Same power as an WRX with out having to put it through a 4WD transmission. Even in the wet it did not wheel spin with the ESP on
Old 16 May 2007, 11:54 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Leptons

TX.

PS

Aren't the ST's great looking cars though
Yep, but in orange is a big no no for me
Old 17 May 2007, 12:18 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Liking your car Martin. You keep her stored at Litchfields (see pics)

TX.
Old 17 May 2007, 08:38 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

The orange ones are clown cars An incredibly bold gay statement if ever there was one. Ideal for leading the precession at mardi grax...
Any other colour and they look fine but nowhere near as pleasing on the eye as a VXR...
I must admit my WRX has never had a problem keeping up with STs on the odd occasion one has tried to fettle me so the result of the Spec D is no suprise...

****!!! I'm posting in a "my car is faster than your car" thread... Get out now!!! Weeeeeeee.....
Old 17 May 2007, 09:05 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove an ST whilst looking for a new company car and had a 'play' with a bug eye wrx, he could not keep up in a straight line; he never tried through the corners, but I have to say the ST is a capable car.

BTW, I eventually got an Astra TDi as the company car to save the fuel money for the Type R
Old 17 May 2007, 09:05 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carb Uncle

Any help appreciated

Carb Uncle
Is that you Lewis in another one of your guises,???

Mac
Old 17 May 2007, 09:37 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Liking your car Martin. You keep her stored at Litchfields (see pics)

TX.

No just can't be arsed to take photo, edit out number plate, and upload.

Besides Iain does take exceedingly good photos
Old 17 May 2007, 10:33 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
Is that you Lewis in another one of your guises,???

Mac
I think so too. Just take a look at his post history.
Old 17 May 2007, 10:47 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gdavey

It tramlines everywhere which, combined with being bounced around all over the place makes it not very pleasant to drive. Also find the throttle a bit jumpy whilst being bounced around.

GD
Hi GD,
I've done around 2500 miles now and whilst I'm not caning it everywhere, I like to give it a bit of right foot every now and again to ensure the car gets used to it as opposed to being shocked by it a few more thousand miles down the road.
It tramlines a lot less than my 03 wrx did, so that's nice, but I think the tyres seem very stiff and may be partially causing the bumpy ride you mention. I too was considering the T25 suspension upgrade and intend to do some more research before going ahead. It does indeed make it tricky on the throttle which I find a bit "fluffy" (?) especially at low speeds and indeed, the being jiggled about doesn't help.

Nige.
Old 17 May 2007, 10:57 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EIRE
Just a quick question for v8voodo.. how did you cure your rattly back window...???
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ight=rattle+o6

Post #20

Removed the two white locator pegs in the top corners (fiddly) and the centre velcro looking thingy.
Took around half an hour being careful.

Rattle free now.
Old 17 May 2007, 01:29 PM
bogie
Scooby Regular

I can't see how the Focus ST could run 300PS and be driveable.

I test drove a split new ST2 the other week and it torque steered all over the place when exiting bends. Kind of put me off!

Tried the same test route after in my WRX PPP Wagon and it handled much better.

ST felt really well built and the 5 pot Volvo engine has a great sound.