Sponsored by:

Scooby Theft - A not so gentle reminder

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2001, 12:06 AM
JamieR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Someone tried to steal my Scooby from outside my house! They broke in between 1-2am and must have been creeping around trying to find the keys, judging by the draws left open in the hall and the kitchen. Fortunately I always keep the keys upstairs in the bedroom so they gave up, grabbed my laptop and PDA from my case and then broke in a few doors down and stole his new Golf GTI. He'd left his keys sitting on the kitchen table along with his phone and wallet.

At first neither I, or the CID could work out how they got in since there was no damage (at either house). Eventually I figured out that they must have stuck something flexible through the letter box and opened the front door from the inside.... very quietly. Either that or somehow they obtained a master key. I've since added deadlocks to the external doors which makes us both a little happier, but we feel like jailers with these extra locks and keys. No doubt we'll get used to it. <sigh>

I knew this already, but I needed a reminder - assuming you have decent security on your desirable car then it, and potentially you and your family, are at more risk when it's parked outside the front door at night than it is when parked just about anywhere else - principally because they know where the keys are. It's just a matter of how far they are prepared to go to get them.

Obviously this incident could have been MUCH worse and I'm thankful for that. With security you always have to draw a line somewhere, but there's nothing like a short sharp shock to make you reassess your situation with a fresh set of eyes... for a while at least...

So please, Take Heed People!

Jamie
Old 20 December 2001, 12:11 AM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry to hear that, i ended up spending last X-mas morning in Casualty due to getting Scoob hijacked. What a bunch of sad ******* these people are. Glad you still got yours but must be a dreadful feeling having your home invaded. All the best and enjoy the festive season as much as possible.
Old 20 December 2001, 12:13 AM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

If you don't mind saying, which part of NI are you in as i'm from there too.
Old 20 December 2001, 12:21 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
& I'm coming over soon

Is it safe for PTMW! ????

I'm sure it is though...