Sponsored by:

Best harness set?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2007, 12:15 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best harness set?

Looking for a harness set for my 06sti. Found some by schroth that look pretty good. EVO mag have them in their wrx waggon, and they look pretty easy to live with and remove as required.

Has anyone got any experience of their quick fit range and or any alternatives?

Welcome to Schroth Safety Products GmbH, Germany
Old 06 May 2007, 05:46 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to be negative but

1) multi-point harness's are not recommended on reclining seats IIRC

2) using the rear std rear socket as a fixing might in an accident be taking forces in a different direction which they were designed for

But they will look good

Tony
Old 06 May 2007, 06:29 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

With respect, I hear all that stuff about not fitting harnesses, and although it makes sense in theory - I do have the feeling that much of it is undue paranoia.

My main feelings are that if you have an accident involving the forces that the 'problems' would arise, you'd have just as many issues with standard belts. Is that based on any fact other than "thought" and "opinion" - No. But then I have the feeling that much of the negative stuff said about harnesses in road cars is 'internet wisdom' anyhow.

Not having a go - I know popular internet wisdom involves all the horror stories of seats folding and the like - but I really wonder how likely that is and if much of it isn't either urban myth or simply facts based on speeds/impacts that are extremely unlikely to happen on a road/trackday.

I do note that Schroth says their harnesses are only to be used with approved aftermarket seats though.

I don't have harnesses by the way - its just a bit of healthy cynicism from me regarding anything I read on the net

Last edited by Prasius; 06 May 2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06 May 2007, 07:59 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasius
With respect, I hear all that stuff about not fitting harnesses, and although it makes sense in theory - I do have the feeling that much of it is undue paranoia.

My main feelings are that if you have an accident involving the forces that the 'problems' would arise, you'd have just as many issues with standard belts. Is that based on any fact other than "thought" and "opinion" - No. But then I have the feeling that much of the negative stuff said about harnesses in road cars is 'internet wisdom' anyhow.
You are probably right, I have considerd them for the track, having been in a couple of crashes on track and a few on the road (not all me driving) and found the STD seat belt fine. So I am happeir with the known

Not having a go - I know popular internet wisdom involves all the horror stories of seats folding and the like - - its just a bit of healthy cynicism from me regarding anything I read on the net
Likewise, I was not having a pop at the Poster

I do note that Schroth says their harnesses are only to be used with approved aftermarket seats though.
a bucket seat maybe
Old 06 May 2007, 07:59 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about this the other day as well after a converstaion with Tony a couple of weeks ago (Hi Tony )

I've heard about the risk of reclining seats collapsing if harnasses are used, and fully appreciate the theory/(or fact)

however, if this is the case and a genuine possibility then why do seat manufacturers produce reclining seats with harnass slots built into them??

I know some people will say it's just for looks, but i was going through the recaro catalogue the other day and they offer reclining seats with the option of harnass slots or no harnass slots

Sport (Trendline) Seat | Sports Reclining Seats | Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Modifying, Parts and Accessories
Old 06 May 2007, 08:21 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

btw my harasses , just basic 3 point sparco's, fully mot legal but to be honest given the choice again i'd have got a pair of sabelts

Old 06 May 2007, 08:28 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Takatas
Old 06 May 2007, 09:44 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

'Seats collapsing' is a seperate issue and it isnt affected by the type of restraint that you use. If youre using a reclining seat for any activity where any sort of an 'incident' is likely then Id suggest fitting a brace behind it to prevent this happening and risking the terrible possible consequential injury.

The reason for not fitting harness restraints in a road going car is that further injury can be caused in the event of an accident, due to the restrictive harness not allowing your body to move. A conventional seatbelt will allow this movement whilst still restraining you.

A full harness restraint only works in conjunction with a correctly (low) mounted racing seat, a crash hat and a properly installed cage.

This isnt 'internet wisdom'; its fact, however unpopular it might be. You may feel that they look nice, perhaps they do, but you shouldnt use them without being aware of the risk involved if you have a real accident.

Que a poster telling me how a harness 'saved his life': it didnt, he survived despite using it.....
Old 06 May 2007, 09:45 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Willans and Sabelt are the best btw.

Simon
Old 06 May 2007, 09:47 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gljam
however, if this is the case and a genuine possibility then why do seat manufacturers produce reclining seats with harnass slots built into them??
I don't know mate. I'm not sure what to think about the issue at all to be honest - but I would be fairly happy in my STI seats with harnesses attached to the standard belt mounting points. I've got a feeling that if I was in an accident where the forces mean the seat may collapse, I'm pretty screwed anyhow
Old 06 May 2007, 09:52 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Does this train of thought apply to rally drivers from the 60/70s who used harnesess but no fancy seats/ roll cage?
Old 06 May 2007, 10:14 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I've got a feeling the final result of an accident involving that kind of force would be fatal in a large enough percentage of times to make the restraint you are using to be largely irrelevant.

Obviously a cage + fixed buckets, are the ideal option - but who wants to/who can do that for their family car they occasionally throw around on a trackday?
Old 06 May 2007, 10:22 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Youd be mistaken. The force involved can be quite small and the damage to the car relativley light.

With regards to your last paragraph, a cage will greatly increase the probability that you will be more seriously injured, if you are not wearing a helmet and even then, you need to be in a low-mounted seat.

Simon
Old 06 May 2007, 10:25 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I was granting scoobynet for people having a little more sense than to have a caged car without using a helmet (Possibly a major mistake )

Hence also the major reason a caged car is simply not practical for everyday use.
Old 06 May 2007, 10:31 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Id like to add that what Ive stated here is fact, to the best of my knowledge (and not simply picked up from internet forums!); as opposed to my unqualified opinion. Threads like this usually degenerate into arguements full of unsubstantiated opinion and spurious challenges (which has already started).

Hopefully Ive helped, whether or not you like what I have said.

Simon
Old 06 May 2007, 11:24 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...4-takatas.html
Old 06 May 2007, 11:30 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run TRS magnum ultra lites mate.

If youre worried about your seats why not get a harness bar?

Old 07 May 2007, 09:38 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
Id like to add that what Ive stated here is fact, to the best of my knowledge (and not simply picked up from internet forums!); as opposed to my unqualified opinion. Threads like this usually degenerate into arguements full of unsubstantiated opinion and spurious challenges (which has already started).

Hopefully Ive helped, whether or not you like what I have said.

Simon
Hi Si,

Any comments on the inertia type harness's that are beginning to appear, examples being on the MG SV & Ferrari 575?
Old 07 May 2007, 09:42 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
Takatas
There was a Takata harness on Ebay recently. Don't think they sold. Were up for £150 which seemed OK for one brand new harness.

eBay.co.uk: Takata 6 Point Harness (item 260114874325 end time 09-May-07 17:04:46 BST)

Don't know if the price is good. I think so but not sure if the £400 new is for a pair.
Old 07 May 2007, 09:46 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Hi Si,

Any comments on the inertia type harness's that are beginning to appear, examples being on the MG SV & Ferrari 575?
I dont really know anything about them Daz. Theyd be more practical and comfortable I suppose, but if you had an accident then theyd probably be 'dangerous' in the same way that a conventionally bolted harness is, as theyd lock.
Old 07 May 2007, 10:31 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

What's good about Takatas? I've never come across them before, never seen anyone using them in WRC or F1 (or in fact any motorsport I've been in contact with). So what makes them worth as much second hand on ebay as a brand new Willans or Sabelt harness that do have the above pedigree? Not having a dig as I don't know enough to criticise them, just interested.

I know nothing about using harnesses in a road car with recliners but I have used many sets of harnesses in my co-driving career in many different cars. So the only things I'd say are:

The 3" shoulder straps are so much more comfortable than 2" (even with the padded covers) that I'd never buy anything else.
The trick ally adjusters may cost £50 extra but they are so much easier to use as they don't tighten up after a few months, so I'd always pay extra for them. Especially important if you've got a set in the passenger side and are carrying different people who will need to change the adjustment regularly.

My personal preference is Willans.
Old 07 May 2007, 10:44 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

you dont see alot of people using them as they are the best and with the best comes a big price tag. These are used by mainly japanese racing drivers and japanese drifters who are sponsered by takata. These are pure jdm bling. Im selling a brand new harness here :-

Old 07 May 2007, 10:54 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed

My personal preference is Willans.
Id agree. Willans closely followed by Sabelt
Old 07 May 2007, 11:06 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
you dont see alot of people using them as they are the best and with the best comes a big price tag. These are used by mainly japanese racing drivers and japanese drifters who are sponsered by takata. These are pure jdm bling. Im selling a brand new harness here :-

Theyre not any better at all from any of the high end sets from Sabelt, TRS, Willans, Sparco, Schroth etc etc.

Theyre just the ultimate JDM bling and such come with a fat price tag.

Dont get me wrong , theyre uber cool if you have an all out JDM ride and very nice harness's..

But saying theyre the best you can buy is hardly correct is it mate.
Old 07 May 2007, 11:28 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

i think the fact they are 3 inches wide gives extra saftey ,security and peice of mind. Also takatas are instantly recognised by the colour which makes them stand out for the likes of car meets and show cars. They are also fia approved for rally or track days.
Old 07 May 2007, 01:12 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

just coming back to the roll cage in a 'road' car....and the added 'risk' they pose...

In my eyes, headbutting a rollcage and head butting an A pillar are not too dissimiliar. Plus the fact that the seat belt/harness would in theory avoid this situation.

I usd to run a Saxo VTS which had a cage and Cobra buckets seats, which proved no problem, helmet on or not.

I also ran a Clio 182 CUP with roll cage, with standard seatbelts, again without issue.

I think the whole argument is very much people's opinions.

If a crash is bad enough for seats to collapse etc etc, then your gonna be pretty f*ucked up anyways!
Old 07 May 2007, 01:58 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

headbutting an A pillar and a roll cage are completely different!!

The A pillar is a damn sight further away from your head than the rollcage would be and it's covered in trim to absorb some of the impact, unlike 3in diameter steel

My cage is covered in a good inch of high density foam and i still wouldn't want my head to come in contact with it
Old 07 May 2007, 03:36 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

hence why i said not too disimilar, they are both substancial structures!

but like you mention, padding etc can help.

Tho this thread has gone astray... it was about ahrnesses!! lol.

For me, harness wise... once you start paying 150 quid a pop, brand is pretty irrelivant, as your getting a decent quality 3 inch harness from any top company.

oh, and Sparco harnesses are made by Sabelt!
Old 08 May 2007, 08:29 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys. I only asked about experiences of use, and suggestions on best/ buying info. Anyone else with knowledge of Scroth?
Old 08 May 2007, 09:22 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
Thanks for the info guys. I only asked about experiences of use, and suggestions on best/ buying info. Anyone else with knowledge of Scroth?
To be honest mate.. there are plenty of F1 teams using Scroth equipment inc HANS devices too.

I dont think you'll be disappointed somehow.

Quick Reply: Best harness set?