Sponsored by:

Evo FQ340 burn up

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2007, 06:54 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo FQ340 burn up

Not a TVR I know, but my type R had a play with a black FQ340 in Weston-s - mare this morning. No twisty lanes, no roundabouts, filters etc, just dual carriage, a set of traffic lights and a long clear straight half a mile long.

No contest, no excuses, just a hammering --- from the Evo!

May not have sounded as good as mine but the pace he went past me, I doubt if had time to listen! Nearly turned round to pay a visit to Mitsi in Weston as they have a nice yellow 340 for sale. Spent 18 months in a Evo 8 fq 330 before switching back to a Scooby, and for the first time today I had a twinge of regret. Then I added up the Evo cost over the 18 months and came back to reality!
Old 05 May 2007, 06:58 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What bhp is your type r? had you had similar power you would of been with him all th way.
Old 05 May 2007, 07:02 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you know his was standard?? i doubt it VERY much, you shouldn`t of got hammered by as much as you say, you`re alot lighter for starters, mind you in standard form you`re giving away 40odd bhp and similar torque so maybe.....
Old 05 May 2007, 07:13 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

i had a run with an evo 260 nothing in it iv got boost control decat hks superdager exsaust kn filter he wasent impresed
Old 05 May 2007, 07:16 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

In my experience, at higher speeds, the weight advantage isn't enough to overcome the torque disadvantage. My standard STi v4 is kind of equal with a friend's remapped WR1 to a certain speed. It's then as if I've hit a brickwall and he continues unabated. The twin scroll of an Evo makes the gap even wider.
Old 05 May 2007, 07:18 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swtmerce
In my experience, at higher speeds, the weight advantage isn't enough to overcome the torque disadvantage. My standard STi v4 is kind of equal with a friend's remapped WR1 to a certain speed. It's then as if I've hit a brickwall and he continues unabated. The twin scroll of an Evo makes the gap even wider.

True, the gearing also, especially on the RA, you`re trough them in a few sec, but saying that, they wern`t made for top speed....
Old 05 May 2007, 07:48 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

thinking about it, I can relate to the brickwall scenario. He was lane swopping and got caught in a slower queue, then as I went past, he pulled out behind me and followed me up to the lights. He was behind me, the lights went green and we were off down the carriage way. Hit the limiter twice and then I suppose I backed off a bit as it was getting a bit silly. But to be honest i didn't expect him to be so close and by the time I looked he had cut inside and had gone straight past. It seemed totally effortless and there was nothing else left to give. We weren't at silly speeds - its just his pure acceleration seemed a lot better. Maybe I was a bit more sensible - who knows!

I can't ever remember my evo fq330 being that much faster than my type r - it never seemed as much, but maybe it was. I had 2 p1s before and have been fobbed off by a Honda Civic type R, a Citreon Saxo that was uncatchable and certainly wasn't standard, and what looked like a Peugeot 206 inside the range of 'in your face' body kit that again was far from normal. Not to mention, a certain Vauxhall Cavalier turbo that left the p1 for dead at whatever speed I tried.

Its probably me come to think of it!!
Old 05 May 2007, 07:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add my vast experience of driving properly to a Standard Scooby, in standard trim, not much gets past me if I don't want it to

You kiddies need big BHP - not me, I can drive properly
Old 05 May 2007, 07:56 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Bloodyhell Martin, you`re not giving Subarus a good name putting up posts that you were beaten by Saxos and like, i know there are some quick motors around but surely YOU must learn to drive faster..
Old 05 May 2007, 08:42 PM
92typeRA
Scooby Regular

no shame in getting beat off a cav turbo
Old 05 May 2007, 09:04 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

So Martin, what BHP are you putting out??

Kind regards

Alan MaC
Old 05 May 2007, 09:26 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Default Evo FQ 340 Burn Up

Evening all first post but I've been lurking for a while now.I have a Classic Turbo 2000,Anyway Surely a Evo FQ 340 would not pull away that drastically from a Impreza typa RA or would it and to be beaten by a Saxo surely not.
Old 05 May 2007, 09:41 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Gonz001,

You are not alone thinking that.

That's why I was curious to see what BHP?

I would say, that spinning the turbo helps.

If you put your foot on the fun pedal fully, it's not good. Put you foot down about a third, wait for it to spool up THEN off you go.

I have never been ceased to be amazed when people think they have got you theen, you whizz by them and beyond when mr turbo goes.

Alan Mac
Old 05 May 2007, 09:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

best thing is dont think your scoob is gonna beat everything on the road but if that mr340 was chasing me !! i would be waving it bye bye big style he would think he was parked up
Old 05 May 2007, 11:32 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

the point is you rarely know whether a car is standard or modified.

the saxo was a case in point - when you are on a empty motorway at 3am in the morning and you are gradually getting faster assuming this will be a piece of cake and nothing shakes the car away from you - well you end up knowing something is not quite what it appears. A long time ago though.

of course it works the other way around as well.

bhp - 280 standard type r plus decat, so 300 on a good day
Old 06 May 2007, 12:35 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

fair play for your honesty bud. Scoobies are not always going to be the fastest thing around. you win some you loose some............It all depends on how much you want to spend ££££££££££££££££££
Old 06 May 2007, 12:49 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Save it for the drag strip.
Old 06 May 2007, 07:40 AM
evo north
Scooby Regular

Default battles

My car is an evo 8 running 410 bhp, was messing about racing my brothers v9 spec c around 370 bhp, not alot in them, mine is atouch faster but not alot, in my experience, what ever you race, ie another scooby, you never loose or win by much , its just like that on the road
Old 06 May 2007, 08:18 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Evo North, do you think it was cos your motor may weigh more that there wasn't much in it??

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 06 May 2007, 10:31 AM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evo north
My car is an evo 8 running 410 bhp, was messing about racing my brothers v9 spec c around 370 bhp, not alot in them, mine is atouch faster but not alot, in my experience, what ever you race, ie another scooby, you never loose or win by much , its just like that on the road

This is a good point, I have a go at pretty much anything, was trying to goad a Lambo the other day but he just gave me a look of distain and ignored me!
I had a go with a Standard Turbo 2000 and completely mullered it but you would expect that with a 100 hp advantage, unless there is a big power difference it will be close, new TT is a good example my car is defo quicker pulls a few car lengths every gear change but you have to get to silly speeds to put real distance between you, having said that I pulled a big gap down the twistys against the TT (he was probably a hairdresser of questionable driver skill) Have dropped an EVO 5/6 without too much hassle got a flash and wave when we parted company (he seemed a bit shocked) mate has a FQ 340 and I would say it's very even (classic with 300ish Hp) big weight advantage!
If you want to make your Scooby quicker just get rid of the interior, electric windows etc etc etc will make a big difference 50KG lost is supposed to be the same 25hp or something
Old 06 May 2007, 11:04 AM
DiddyWRX
Scooby Regular

Best car I've totally destroyed in the WRX was a 325i BMW sitting on my bumper, then I nailed it, see ya hehe!
Old 06 May 2007, 11:19 AM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

In reality it's a pretty futile discussion. As long as you are enjoying your car, it's all that matters. On a recent trackday I kept a 997 GT3RS within my sights for a full three laps of Bedford's GT circuit (over 12 miles). Is my car anything like the Porsche in terms of performance? I wish. Equally, I had some problems with a Civic Type R and the latest Boxster S on the same track day. Regardless, I had a fantastic time.
Old 06 May 2007, 11:46 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do people think its all about BHP, only a couple of people in this thread have it correct, its about the torque
Power to weight doesnt play a big part in it with 2 different cars, different gear ratios and different ammounts of torque, my old Spec C had bags full of torque, wasted lots of cars in gear with it, yet you needed to really work a classic to do the same job.
Classic v latest versions of the evo, and the fact that the evo is very tunable, you dont normally have that much of a chance.... JDM new age on the other hand....

Tony
Old 06 May 2007, 03:04 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I'd be guessing the Saxo was TB'd/supercharged/turbo'd for it to pass a P1.. I've seen them at Crail and they put in high 13 second passes with relative ease. Once they get traction they really do motor on.

I had a wee run with a local guy in a Honda CRX SiR last night, N/A 1.6 DOHC VTEC, with a few mods its running c200bhp (R/R proven).. I think they're around 850kg and it was being driven by the lad on his own with a light load of petrol. I was in my 2007 STi Spec-D (276bhp book figs), fully brim'd with V-Power and 3 other people so it'll have been a bit more than the book 1430kg fig... now, it was a rolling start from about 30mph to a large number of mph on a dual carriageway at about 1am. But although my car pulled past him, it was pretty close, just goes to show what difference Power/Weight and Transmission Losses make to everything and that these cars (scoobs) are in no way invincible.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 06 May 2007, 06:26 PM
assam
Scooby Regular

totally agree with the above post. but I must say i was astonished at how a Mondeo ST kept up with my classic type ra!!! anyone had a run in with a STtoo?
Old 06 May 2007, 06:37 PM
terzo007
Scooby Regular

I owned st before buying the scooby thought the st was a good all round motor but no chance of staying with a scooby.
Old 06 May 2007, 07:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by assam
totally agree with the above post. but I must say i was astonished at how a Mondeo ST kept up with my classic type ra!!! anyone had a run in with a STtoo?
Was probably driven by someone who knew how to drive ..... ie. over 30 years old
Old 06 May 2007, 07:15 PM
davej
Scooby Newbie

I agree with what most are saying.Not alot in it at all between evos and scoobys all the way up.I'm an evo 7 owner and they aren't as quick as people make out a scooby will def stay with one if both pushing same type of figures.
Old 06 May 2007, 09:52 PM
evo north
Scooby Regular

Default alan

Originally Posted by Alan MaC
Evo North, do you think it was cos your motor may weigh more that there wasn't much in it??

Regards

Alan MaC
I drive to meets etc with many different spec evo's, you can have a play with a 350 bhp one, or a 450 bhp one, yes the higher bhp wins but by not as much as you think, you need a hell of a lot more bhp to murder someone, like you want too
Old 06 May 2007, 10:08 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Interesting point.

I still feel that by spinning the turbo & not booting it makes a difference.

You put your foot about a third down, hold it thn Mr Turbo kicks in then away.

A few times I've had interesting plays with other machines on that basis eg: on the Motorway something trying to get into your ashtray, do as I have said & you might just surprise yourself.

Apologies to those who do this and, I'm not trying to sound patronising.

KInd regards

Alan MaC

Quick Reply: Evo FQ340 burn up