Sponsored by:

STI V's Evo VII

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2001, 02:15 PM
Son of Sam
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I know this has probably been done to death, but what do people think about the STI versus Evo contest?

I got an Evo VI but I appreciate the STI Scoob does have something to offer. Any comments?
Old 18 December 2001, 02:41 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

Two totally diferent cars.. Why compare them? Every one to there own taste.. My taste favours the Evo 6.. Thats my opinion!
Old 18 December 2001, 02:43 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

evo 7, if you can handle it looks. Best car I have ever driven. Sti 7 is over weight and fugly.
Old 18 December 2001, 02:51 PM
Son of Sam
Scooby Newbie

I agree about the comparison....and the looks

Just wanted to see what people think, as its normally good for a few articles in car mags etc.

Old 18 December 2001, 03:10 PM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Try the search facility for thousands of peoples opinions....
Test drive them both and form your own.....

Andy
Old 18 December 2001, 05:23 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I went looking at Evo's last weekend.
Found 2 dealerships that dont sell them and were very unhelpfull,
also one dealership had the cheek to say ' do you realise how expensive they are sir '.
With that I'm going to await the new STi, atleast my local Subaru delaership treat me with respect( Waldonway in Maidstone )
Old 18 December 2001, 06:37 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Who said the STI VII is overweight? As I recall it weighs just about as much as the EVO VII.

Judging all the comparison tests I have seen/read there is very little in it but it is down to personal preference. UK spec STi will be considerably cheaper than uk EVO and probably better when costs considered however power down and less low end shove.
Old 18 December 2001, 10:35 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

The EVO VII is 64kg lighter, so as mentioned above if the STI is overweight, then so is the EVO VII.

Power wise. Buy the std STI for £26k and add the PPP at £1,600 when/if it comes out. I'm sure some of the low end urge will return, and it will have more power than a std Euro overpriced EVO VII.

I'd also be suprised if the EVO is tuned for UK roads. At least Subaru's STI will benefit from some Prodrive suspension tweaks.

And if all else fails, you will still have £2.4k left to spend on your beast before you have spent as much as an EVO VII owner.

You also know that any EVO VII press cars will be less than std as usuall. Funny how when ever a std EVO VI was used, rather than a Ralliart car, how it was slower than the P1 (only just though)

Jonathan
Old 18 December 2001, 11:05 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi jonothan
the EVO VII GSR wieghs 1400kg while the prodrive impreza 1470kg that is almost like driving with a full grown man as passenger.

the EVO RS wieghs 1320kg while the RSII wieghs 1380kg. i think what mitsi are going to be bringing in as UK type is the RSII so that is 90kg wieght difference. and that is a lot.

there is a difference between ralliart and none ralliart cars as well. ralliart cars run with a titanium turbo and also they run slightly higher boost i should be able to verify that very soon as soon as i get my boost gauge installed.

so although you will be paying 2.5k less money you are ultimatly getting an inferior car if you are getting the prodrive version. if you get the standard sti it is a good car but you will end up spending a lot of money on cosmitc changes eventually so what is the point.

handling wise, the EVO VII is in a different league all together, the steering wheel is amazing !!!!!!

I know that you have tried and owned so many cars, have you driven an ralliart evo vii ?

plus you can tune the evo vii to 400bhp before you start having problems with the drive train and transmission and you can't do that with the sti? they are just two totally different cars really.

as for the looks it is a matter of taste i think.

Old 18 December 2001, 11:52 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Hi Sam

My reference to Ralliart cars, is that with the EVO VI, surposedly std EVO VI released to the press had been modified. HKS systems to start with and very strong rumours of boost increases. This has nothing to do with the VII as you could well be right. But Autocar never tested a fully std EVO VI hence the good acceleration figures. My warning is that Ralliart doing it with the VI will no doubt try it with the VII. Then we got the crap of mines faster than yours, when its not. Autocar did test the modified EVO VII and STI VII, and the STI was faster, even though the EVO was surposed to have more power (even with its extra weight)

With regards to the other versions of VII's which are lighter. Who is to say we wont see an RA version of the STI VII.

Lastly how can you be sure the handling of the UK STI will be inferior to the EVO VII. Sure you might of driven a Jap spec car, but not a UK STI yet ?. Handling as always is purely subjective and individual. Going fast on track and A roads, but having to slow down on B roads is a compramise. If you are driving lots of B roads day in day out one type of car will not be for you. Ive driven an EVO VI and certainly prefered the UK300, even though it ultimatley might not of cornered as fast. If the EVO had been my play car for the weekend or track then I know which car I would of prefered.

Ive no doubts the EVO is a great car, but its looks, interior, fuel tank and servicing costs are not for me. If I do return to the jap fold, it will probably be in an STI. Luckily my Subaru dealer is a Mitsubishi dealer as well so I will try one out.

Jonathan
Old 19 December 2001, 11:07 AM
Son of Sam
Scooby Newbie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I guess that the Evo may be the quicker car but ultimately is somewhat of a compromise on B roads. I'm still unsure, but guess I'll test drive both to find out
Old 19 December 2001, 12:35 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

"but ultimately is somewhat of a compromise on B roads."

if you are used to hot hatches and cars like calibras, corrados etc.. and thats your heritage then yes, an EVO is a hard ride. But compared to any proper drivers car its not hard and once your up to speed on back roads its not hard enough and nowehere near stiff enough for the track.

BTW: the press VII (M7 GSR) is not standard & does have an HKS exhaust & induction and also, I think a sports ECU. I know cos my mate drove it to isle of skye in it for a magazine and also I followed him to work in it one morning and had a poke around eth engine bay. WHo gives a flyin **** though - between a P1, sti5/7 etc.. and a standard EVO there is pretty much sod all difference in acceleration. Whats the point saying a P1 is 0.2 seconds quicker to 100 when its all down to your gearchages in any case, theres always a counter argument, like the EVO responds so much better to cheap tuning so therefore is potentially so much faster, or the EVO is quicker in the midrange cos of teh gearing/engine, or teh P1 is fatsre cos when teh EVO has to stop for fuel the scooby just acrries on going !!, or Autocar said the EVO p1ssed the P1 after 8K miles.

THERE IS NO STI EVO CONTEST : they are totally diffrent cars. Go out, drive both and pick one.
Old 19 December 2001, 01:05 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

my evo is a lot quicker than my modyfied scoob on my favorite roads? so what does that say ? my subaru had more power than my new evo vii that i can't rev over 4500revs yet!!!!! but the evo 7 is still faster around corners and it is a lot more fun i am getting the back end out on every corner and it handles like a go cart.

they are totally different cars and totally different driving style as well. to me the car was only bought because it is good on track and that is all, i don't give a ****e about the rest really as i never drive hard on B roads, well not that often

Old 19 December 2001, 01:25 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

I always enjoy reading "car type 1" vs "car type 2" threads! They're often quite emotional...

For myself, the scoob's (and thats all scoob's) feel somewhat more special than the Evo's. I'm on my second scooby, and what made me decide to get it over an Evo7 was that it simply feels more special to me. I guess if one had to pay oodles of money for a car, most would prob take the one that made their hair stand...

Of course, if I were racing on a budget, then the Evo7 might be a sounder choice. Its prob faster in most situations, and can be more easily and cheaply modified for big HP. But hey, I'm not racing.

Guess its kinda like a choice between a Ferrari 360M and a Porsche 911 Turbo. I'd take the Modena anytime.
Old 19 December 2001, 01:42 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

totally agree with you RT. what ever makes feel more special go for it. part of the reason a lot of people think the scoob has got more character is the fact it has a lot of following. which also means they are not as exclusive as the EVOs. i have not seen a single evo vii since apart form mine and the demo car. i think should not be more than maybe 300 cars ont he roads if that in the UK. compare that to few thousands scoobs. actually that was one of the main reason that i changed from the scoob to the EVO.

sam
Old 19 December 2001, 01:47 PM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

I wonder how many times this thread has been repeated on both here and on the Evo BBS. Is it not just easier to say, drive them both for yourself and make up your own mind. They are both damn fine cars.

Sam, if you want exclusivity (spelling???), buy an Evo6 RSX. Apparently there were only 30 of them ever made by Ralliart UK.

Andy
Old 19 December 2001, 03:10 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Sam, its the opposite here in Singapore. Evo7's by the truckload (relatively). There're only 12 (or so) STI's and STI type RA's running around the island. No more officially coming in until the UK STI launch next yr due Euro2 regulations. So its pretty exclusive here, if you don't count the regular 220hp turbo. Since the UK STI will not be avail in RA-spec, we're pretty much guaranteed to have only 6 RA's here!
Old 19 December 2001, 05:12 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i take it back then b they both are very good for what you pay for them. but are you going to keep buyng the same make over and over again ? i love all cars and until get my 911 turbo ( or which ever super car is available at the time) i will keep changing my car every 2-3 years.
actually i would have settled for an R34 but could not find one for the money i wanted to spend. if subaru had come out with a special edition ala 22B or something i would have also been very interested

i just could not be bothered waiting really, i am sure i will come across a lot of UK sti on the track in the near future as i am still an active member of the sidc. and then will see if made the right choice or not.

which ever car you go for it is a win,win situation really

enjoy them both, and we should be grateful to the japs for coming up with some amazing cars
Old 19 December 2001, 06:12 PM
ajw
Scooby Regular

I had a quick spin in both an sti 7 and an evo 7 - bought the evo 7 4 months ago. The sti was a superb car - very very quick, nice ride,interior but the evo 7 just felt more alive. It rides a little bitter harder, the steering is more responsive. But what really clenched it for me was the engines - you have to rev the sti to get it going - the evo has considerably more torque lower down - it shoves from about 2000rpm - thats why I bought the car over the sti. Downsides - rediculous small tank - 170-185 miles per tank and I still aint that overwhelmed by the looks - but otherwise its a fantastic car.

regards, Andy
Old 22 December 2001, 09:50 PM
Rumple Stiltskin
Scooby Newbie

Arrow

Sam (Elassar),

my evo is a lot quicker than my modyfied scoob on my favorite roads
(I hope I've got the right guy here - Silver ?)

You're scoob pished on my stock Evo VI on the start / finish straight at Knockers . I think "quicker" is very much a subjective / individual thing.

I've had two scoobs and an Evo VI. The Evo is without a doubt the most enthralling car I've ever owned (and possibly driven ) and a VII has been given serious consideration as its successor.

I think (still not 100% ), however, that it's going to be an STI Type UK (c/w Prodrive kit). The main reasons surround the practicality issues mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Fingers crossed, it'll pish on your VII next time out at Knockers
Old 22 December 2001, 10:26 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi rumple
i have over taken quite few EVO VIs at knock hill start finish straight couple of silver and couple of blue ones .

i don't think i will be able to do that with the EVO VII though as i find it lacking at the top end a bit compared to what i am used to so your run in car may well be able to do that.

the reason i have bought an EVO 7 is that it should have a lot more tuning potential than the subaru. in the past the subaru was a lot lighter 100kg or so. so you did not need to produce as much power as a lot of cars. but now the sti 7 is even heavier than the evo which means it will need to have better equipment to compete. but unfortunately with the intercooler ontop of the engine bay which is a major flow it just does not do it.

the way i thought about it is i need a new car, the old shape subaru and EVOs are looking dated just now. so what i am left with an STI 7 or an EVO 7 really. i am very track oriented so stuff lke comfort is not really an issue here. then i started thinking what will my modifying path is going to be.

turbo the EVO VII is good for up to 385bhp so that won't need to be replaced for a while
intercooler well that is in the right place and it is even bigger than E6 one
oil cooler it already has a rather large one
internals will they will cope with 1.5-1.6 bar as standard, ok the engine can't run as much advance as the scoob engine but that is a lot of boost.
gearbox can cope with 400bhp in problem ( i have been through 3 gearboxes with my scoob) i hope the new one is better
clutch will definitley need to go on both.

so on the long term for some one like myself, it will be cheaper with the evo vii on the long term.

as for the handling they are in completely different leagues, the EVO VII suits my driving style a lot more than the sti. but s kind of less forgiving

the evo engine will pull so much lower down the rev range than the subaru engine. so although i have got a relativily large turbo it pulls from as low as the UK car!!!!!!

but as yourself i am going to be hopping from which ever car is there for me every couple of years regardless if its a subaru or an EVO

sam
Old 23 December 2001, 07:31 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The WRXSTi has just been released here in Oz.
Apparently it is the international version.
If these two cars are similar in performance then its a no contest on price.
The WRXSTi is A$ 55000 and the Evo VI yes VI is A$ 80000.
I have a write up but unfortunately don't know how to post .
If you want a copy let me know.
Old 23 December 2001, 10:01 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Why do some people always moan at these "versus" threads and say things like "why don't you drive them yourself and make your own mind up"?

This is a BBS for Christs sake- what else is it for! These are always among the most entertaining and informative threads on the board, however repetitive they are. if you dont want to read it don't click on the thread - it's quite simple really.
Old 23 December 2001, 11:57 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Zoog

Have to agree 100%. Its not like you have to read this thread before reading the items you want to.

Jonathan
Old 23 December 2001, 01:07 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Just had myfirst tast of an evo, well, it was an evo 4, tuned to 350bhp,

The thing is far superior in terms of handeling (not mentioning the obvious dif in pwer 250 vs 350?-yeh its quicker)

But we toob his car around some lanes, and roundabout grip all the time. My 99 scoob, understeer and loss of grip at every corner at less speed than the evo.

Suspoentions was hard, not sure if it woul dbe fun living with a car like that, but the handeling ooohhh boy

Ill confess ive never been in or driven an sti or p1 (offers please) but it makes my uk my99 look like a bag of poo