Damage to engine...

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2007, 08:59 AM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damage to engine...

Hi all,

After getting my car serviced yesterday the garage (not naming names) left the cap off of the water/anti freeze header tank (i think thats what its called) and 8 miles down the road when i pull into a garage i see steam pouring out of the engine bay!

Shat myself, as I was by a petrol pump in a huge petrol station so pushed the car to a safe area.

Let it cool down and after we opend the boonet I saw that they left the bloody cap off!
Called the garage, and they sent someone out to put some more anti freeze in and they did exactly that - checked the car was ok after getting hot etc.

It was steaming for about 6/7 minutes but it didnt empty radiator and there was still a small ammount of water/anti freeze left in the tank.

My question is, has this posed any risk to my engine? No fire broke out, but there was alot of steam and I was driving like it for about 3-4 mins.

Thanks

Last edited by Bakerboy; 04 May 2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04 May 2007, 09:09 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

The only way to tell is to run it and see.

I would not expect any more damage than a head gasket gone, if there is any damage at all.
Old 04 May 2007, 09:37 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there was still water in the header tank then it's probably okay. There would still be water in the cooling system to keep the engine at the correct temperature.

It has happened to me before in another car and I suffered no ill effects.
Old 04 May 2007, 09:50 AM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

Phew! Thank **** for that, I was really scared that i'd have an expensive repair on my hands

That's a relief to say the least
Old 04 May 2007, 07:56 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But you wouldn't have had an expensive bill! If the engine was damaged then the garage should put it right FOC! I certainly wouldn't accept anything else for such a basic errror.
Old 04 May 2007, 08:10 PM
Fart Man
Scooby Regular

Probably no damage.

How much water had to go in? The system holds 7odd litres of coolant, so if only 1 litre was needed to top back up, then there is still 6 litres sloshing around in there.

Secondly, 5 mins of running isn't enough to for the engine to overheat, you could run it with zero coolant for 10mins or so without harm.

Biggest concern is air lock, so make sure the heater works, and go for a run for as long as it takes for the engine to get up to temp (about 20mins) keeping an eye on temps and making sure the heater stays working. Then stop, let it cool down and recheck the levels, top up if needed.

I presume the bloke topped it back up with premixed antifreeze and water? If it was just plain water, then the mixture maybe on the weak side, the garage should be able to test if its ok with a hydrometer.
Old 04 May 2007, 10:03 PM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Had the same thing with another car, a Mondeo, and all was fine (my fault, not a garage) but would be more worried if it happened to a Scoob. Probably absolutely fine though.