Sponsored by:

No Warranty on PPP

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2007, 10:45 AM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Warranty on PPP

In October 2005 i bought a WRX from what was Virgin Cars.

From its first day the car has always been serviced by the same Subaru main dealer.

I have the service and warranty booklet and certificates of conformity.

In February 2007, the dealer fitted a Prodrive Performance Pack.

The pack was ordered by chassis number and fitted, no problems at all. Thye stated that a certificate should have come in the box to show it was fitted, but there wasn't one so a replacement was ordered.

They have been chased a couple of time and today i have heard back from them stating that Subaru are refusing to issue the Prodrive Cert as the car is a Cyprus import. This is the first time the dealer has ever come across this issue.

They advised that is speak with IM (Subaru) which i have. They have echoed the response stating that they MAY not cover the warranty. He was very non-commital in whether the work would be covered or not. Surely it is cut and dry ?

They have advised that i speak to the Cyprus dealer to ask if they would cover such a modification?

Now, the way i look at it is that they have jumped at the opportunity of supplying and fitting the PPP for £1500 without informing me that there would be warranty issues. Now the certificate has been requested they are causing problems. This is the only reason i went for the PPP to keep what i thought would be the warranty.

Has anyone else come across such an issue.

If this is the way Subaru treat their customers, then when it is time for a replacement i would reconsider.
Old 01 May 2007, 10:49 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I have heard on this board before that Cyprus imports cannot have PPP and keep warranty. Something to do with PPP not being available in the country that the car came from.

So I think the official response is that warranty work is not covered, however they may choose to cover warranty items as a gesture of goodwill.

You may also have a case under the Sales of Goods Act, as if you did specifically ask if the PPP work would keep your warranty intact then you may have been misold. You may be able to force the dealer to return the car to its original condition and refund you in full.

You may also have a case against Virgin Cars, again under the sales of goods act. If you were sold the car and they misinformed you that it was entirely to UK specification and that there were no warranty issues at all. Clearly there are warranty issues as Cyrpus imports cannot have PPP and keep warranty.

Proving these items of course may be hard, and you will need as much documented evidence as you can get your hands on.

Last edited by Luminous; 01 May 2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01 May 2007, 10:51 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt worry too much. they are generally quite reliable cars... you should of been advised of the warranty though.