Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turbo Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2001, 08:29 PM
Rossco
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got my heart set on a manual GTB but would like to hear from anyone with experiences of running/owning one before I take the plunge.
Can the car run happily on unleaded?
What's fuel consumption like?
Any other interesting points I need to know?
Any help gratefully received.
Cheers
Old 18 December 2001, 12:46 AM
Geoff P
Scooby Regular

Hi Roscoe, I am currently looking at the twin turbo E Tune legacy to complement my 22b and replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee and would also like to hear from other peoples experiences.
Geoff
Old 18 December 2001, 03:51 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Which generation? I have had a BG GT-B, now run a BE B4-RSK.

I loved my BG, and the story continues with the B4.

It seems that while there are quite a few owners who frequent Scoobynet, you will likely find them more easily on the B4 mailing list:
http://www.lumine.net/subaru/legacyb4/index.html

Then join the mailing group...

Cheers

Old 18 December 2001, 07:27 PM
Rossco
Scooby Newbie

Thanks AJbaseBloke,
Had a look on the B4 site but it didn't seem to answer any of my queries.
Any feedback on my questions as an owner yourself?
Probably going for a previous shape model, about 1997/8
Cheers
Old 19 December 2001, 01:45 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Rosco,

You could always go onto the mailing list and pop a query to the UK members - there are quite few, and the numbers are growing. Both current and BD/BG owners are about

In response to your questions (all IMHO etc. etc.):
a. Can the car run happily on unleaded? SuperUL minimum - octane booster suggested, Optimax is likely better. It will *run* on UL, but don't expect it to do any favours to the engine, and don't blame Subaru if something breaks

b. What's fuel consumption like? How heavy is your right foot m8 ? I was seeing up to 32mpg when on long trips at constant speed (70-75mph-ish). It will drink the stuff if you are tracking or running hard - the pay-off for all the s I think.

c. Any other interesting points I need to know? The engine and components are not STI, so it is not quite as robust or sympathetic to half-baked mods. The engine did not like 15w weight oil at all - boost went all over the place. Otherwise, changing the oil every 3000miles should keep things happy - although hard, heavy driving and trackdays change that (std stuff, blah, blah, blah ). A Fujitsubo muffler totally changed the responses of the engine...very nice (and not likely to break anything as long as it is not a straight through design - to much flow seems to = boom/doom without proper boost control - but a boost gauge will let you know if things are getting out of hand, so try to get a good one with proper warning features etc.).

And to finish - a couple of choice mods: To firm up the rear (I found it a bit wobbly when loaded in particular), get an uprated rear ARB and links (you can go aftermarket or just order the relatively cheap RS rear links, which are steel vs. the placcy std ones, and an RS rear ARB which is a little stiffer = very nice, and still comfy). Would suggest some front stiffening: A tower bar is OK, but the best place to do something is down at the bottom of the struts. Prova sells lower stiffeners which are perfect, and don't introduce too much noise (but are not the cheapest little bits around either). The alloy lower arms of the BE/BH series turbos is also a virtual bolt on mod (requires ARB end-link change too). Next stop is brakes: Better brake pads (doing fluid and hoses too if the wallet allows). The DIY earhting kit will smooth things out a bit...and shzam, you'll have a very nice bus that will give some much more expensive metal a real surprise.

A couple of notes tho. The BH/BE is MUCH better in NVH terms But a lot heavier too. The headlights on the BG were not fantastic - lots of people in Japan are investing in HIDs it seems.

Phew...Enjoy!