Sponsored by:

Subaru ownership Get you down?

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2007, 09:02 AM
Monkian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru ownership Get you down?

I'm glad to say I'm no longer own a subaru (STi 5)

I spent 5 months looking for a clean example

Although they are nice cars to drive and very nible I have no regrets in selling up. A huge weight off my shoulders!

In My experience the things that really ground on me were the general running costs... servicing , fuel consumption , insurance costs .. engine failure and parts. I was littleraly scared to drive the thing more than 70mph fearing the engine was to go bang again!

This isnt having a dig .. just sharing my feelings

Am I the only one?

Last edited by Monkian; 26 April 2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 26 April 2007, 09:09 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

It doesn't get me down, but I can afford to run one. Having said that, 4 new tyres and 4 wheel alignment (plus needing a new wheel) did sting a bit.

For the money, I can't think of more bang for your buck. I could save a fortune by selling and getting a Golf Diesel, but that would get me down a lot more than any downsides of Scoob ownership.
Old 26 April 2007, 09:16 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

What a load of *****.......

I've just forked out £1000 on new front discs & pads, and I feckin love these cars......

Sounds like you should be getting the bus rather than owning a car
Old 26 April 2007, 09:26 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I can afford to run mine and I love it... It costs me no more to service than my last subaru or my celica before that...
I dont drive like a mentalist so get OK consumption. I knew insurance prices before I bought.
Merrrrrrrr
Old 26 April 2007, 09:28 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I wish the plebs who can't afford these cars would just realise it and go buy a ford fiesta
Old 26 April 2007, 09:34 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Some people think they can buy a scoob and run it on shoe string, it's just not possible. I have a friend who owns 2 garage's and he lets me use his ramp and air tools etc.
I took my box out on Monday ready for it's rebuild which saves me quite a few quid. I used to be a mechanic and quarry fitter for many years so will take on most jobs inc engine builds and rally car builds from a bare shell etc.

The only thing I don't do is the timing belt and I had my fluilds changed simply because they were doing the cam belt at the same time.

If I had to pay someone to do all the work there would be no way that I could afford to run the scoob. Being over 30 helps as I only pay £380 full comp with all mods
Old 26 April 2007, 09:37 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Some people think they can buy a scoob and run it on shoe string, it's just not possible.
just because you can afford to buy it doesn't mean you can afford to run it, i think its a mistake a lot of people make...especially now classics are so cheap

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2007, 09:43 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
just because you can afford to buy it doesn't mean you can afford to run it, i think its a mistake a lot of people make...especially now classics are so cheap

Very true, I spent a couple of months diciding which model to go for and what the main problems were regarding engine failures etc. I then spend a month looking for an unmodified standard car. The first thing I did was replace the fuel pump and fit a scoobyecu and then a trip to the rolling road to make sure all was safe.

Touch wood I have only had the gearbox fail but this was always going to happen on a 60k car with over 300 BHP, just one of those things.
Old 26 April 2007, 09:55 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love fecking wasting money on the scoob HEY I'd only waste it on crap like paying the rent or council tax else Get out of the way you bi tches moaning about subarus and let the enthusiasts through or prepare to get a faceful of toyo running over your skull
Old 26 April 2007, 09:59 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt

I've just forked out £1000 on new front discs & pads, and I feckin love these cars......
Saw you coming then, eh Gene

Not meaning to be rude to the OP, but if running costs got you down whilst you owned it then you may not have had sufficient funds.

Only saying this from experience. Owned a GTIR years ago and repairs, fuel, insurance drained every last penny. It was horrible and really got me down - not the car I'd have another no question, just couldn't afford to keep it.

Annoying thing now is that I could probably afford a brand new STI, but mortgages, children and a feckless misses take priority these days

Last edited by EddScott; 26 April 2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 26 April 2007, 12:55 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Monkian
I'm glad to say I'm no longer own a subaru (STi 5)

I spent 5 months looking for a clean example

Although they are nice cars to drive and very nible I have no regrets in selling up. A huge weight off my shoulders!

In My experience the things that really ground on me were the general running costs... servicing , fuel consumption , insurance costs .. engine failure and parts. I was littleraly scared to drive the thing more than 70mph fearing the engine was to go bang again!

This isnt having a dig .. just sharing my feelings

Am I the only one?
This is just part of the joys of motoring my friend, you can't buy a performance car without parting with hard earned cash! Get yourself a boring golf or something like that - Power comes at a price, but if you love your car it don't mean s**t!
Old 26 April 2007, 01:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Bingo!!

And with scoobies, if you don't look after them, they WILL give you problems and it WILL cost you!

Get one that's been looked after and look after it yourself though and you needn't loose sleep over things breaking. When cared for, you'll struggle to find a more reliable performance car!

Ns04
Old 26 April 2007, 01:00 PM
DanUK
Scooby Regular

Not tired of the costs, just the image!
Old 26 April 2007, 01:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by DanUK
Image is for spectators to debate!

Drive it, enjoy it, and to hell with what others think.

End of!
Old 26 April 2007, 01:05 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

I have a standard MY99 and so far (wood touching furiously) in 25k miles all I have done was service it regularly, oh and a new set of brakes and pads, but nothing other than wear and tear items has ever gone, I would be so bold and say it is the most reliable car I have ever owned, it costs me more to run my wife's Skoda Fabia (all sorts of electronic niggles)
Old 26 April 2007, 01:09 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Hi Dan,

What image??

You know what another user wrote something about leaving Subaru because of this 'CHAV' image. Would someone care to explain this please?
I can tell you that I own and drive what I like and don't consult others on their opinion as its mine that truely counts seeing as it my money.

I've got an STI Type R and although not my everyday transport it has been a joy to own. I try not to use it during the week but couldn't resist it this morning!!

Regrets..... No sunroof and thats it.

Regards

Esh
Old 26 April 2007, 01:14 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Exactly!
Old 26 April 2007, 01:27 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

As I said in another thread.

All this talk about the Impreza having a chav image makes me laugh, a few of you guys moaning because some other fella has bought a WRX and put on a daft body kit, stupid lexarse lights and paints it luminus green.

You are basically saying you rely on others portraying your image for you who gives a **** what everyone else is doing, do your own thing FFS!!! and let them do thiers!!!!

Originally Posted by ESH
I can tell you that I own and drive what I like and don't consult others on their opinion as its mine that truely counts seeing as it my money.
Hear hear my sentiments exactly
Old 26 April 2007, 01:47 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I love fecking wasting money on the scoob HEY I'd only waste it on crap like paying the rent or council tax else Get out of the way you bi tches moaning about subarus and let the enthusiasts through or prepare to get a faceful of toyo running over your skull
Agree....
Old 26 April 2007, 02:32 PM
Monkian
Scooby Regular

My original statement was saying that in my circumstance and expercience it has been pricey to run in general. Has nothing to do with its affordability.

Last edited by Monkian; 26 April 2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 26 April 2007, 02:46 PM
DiddyWRX
Scooby Regular

Im 22 and I own a classic WRX. I love it and when pennies permit she'll be getting treated to more goodies but at the moment im just keeping her running and enjoying every second!
Old 26 April 2007, 03:39 PM
Mk1impreza
Scooby Newbie

Ive only had my scooby for a day and the gearbox needed rebuilding.

I don't like the money side of it but its all worth while when you get in it and it brings you a massive smile.
Old 26 April 2007, 03:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

hear hear, im only 22 myself, have a mortgage and a mrs. we both work full time in skivvy jobs, ie not particularly well paid jobs, but i can afford to run, service fuel up etc my scoob. if you havent a lot of money you sacrifice something esle from your "luxuries". for me thats going and getting pi$$ed on a fri sat night.

you dont have to be on a kings wage to run a classic (im on around £20k a year) but if your prepared to make the little sacrifices, when you get in her and run her to the shops, the smile on your face is even more satisifying

all inho of course.
Old 26 April 2007, 04:33 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkian
My original statement was saying that in my circumstance and expercience it has been pricey to run in general. Has nothing to do with its affordability.
mokian, you would be correct, they are not cheap to run and therefore the running costs impact the affordability of the car overall.

as stated in my previous post, just because its a cheap car to buy does not mean its going cheap to keep it on the road...especially if you have an sti5\P1 when you need to budget for a replacement bottom end
Old 26 April 2007, 04:50 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

I'll go along with that,too many 10+yr old **** box imports zooming around and around Town centres all night for my liking
Old 27 April 2007, 05:55 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Lots of half decent cars cost a fair bit to keep running; tyres, brakes, servicing, insurance etc.

I put money away each month so the bills aren't so painful - if you think you can run a car for peanuts then you're in a dream land.
Old 27 April 2007, 10:44 PM
stuh1981
Scooby Regular

Subaru ownership is dear, there is no doubting that, both myself and my wife need a car, so to compensate owning a P1 we have a Peogeot 306 Turbo Diesel to run about in.

I hope I am never forced to sell my subaru, but you only live once.!!!!
Old 27 April 2007, 11:07 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
What a load of *****.......

Sounds like you should be getting the bus rather than owning a car

Must have had massive windows at your dealership....
Old 27 April 2007, 11:27 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

yep..subaru ownership really gets me down too

my 3rd scoob is en-route from japan as we speak
Old 28 April 2007, 02:38 AM
Probein
Scooby Regular

If that's how you feel when driving a Scooby then it's probably not the kind of car for you... I know what you mean with the running costs etc, but to me the fun the car can deliver easily out balances any negatives and makes it worth every last penny I spend on it. My next car will most definitely be another scooby and after that, possibly again! I love them to bits.

Quick Reply: Subaru ownership Get you down?