Sponsored by:

silly question but are import sti's (around 1997) reliable

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2007, 02:21 PM
moffett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silly question but are import sti's (around 1997) reliable

Sorry for the silly question but i just want to make sure im buying the right scooby and im trying to get as much info as possible. I have seen a few sti 555's and type r/ a for sale recently. They are imports and seem to be made between 96-98.

Are the imports reliable also would i be best getting one mapped for uk fuel..Highest i can get is 97ron..

This will be my first scooby and I would really like it to be trouble free.

Cheers
Old 24 April 2007, 02:34 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moffett
Sorry for the silly question but i just want to make sure im buying the right scooby and im trying to get as much info as possible. I have seen a few sti 555's and type r/ a for sale recently. They are imports and seem to be made between 96-98.

Are the imports reliable also would i be best getting one mapped for uk fuel..Highest i can get is 97ron..

This will be my first scooby and I would really like it to be trouble free.

Cheers
Best to get it mapped properly for the fuel you have avalible in your area, as octain booster is not a substitute for long term usage, i found it buggers spark plugs!.

A friend has a 97 Type R which is great, he did have a problem a few weeks after he bought it with the oil pump.... result - engine rebuild. That has been the only thing my mate has ever had probs with.

If it needs a timing belt then maybe change the pump for a higher spec version. Olly at roger clark has always been very helpful with advice.