Sponsored by:

Subaru paint!

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2007, 01:55 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Subaru paint!

Now I'm sure everyone is aware of the poor quality of Subaru's paint finish and it's resistance to stone chips etc

but a friend of mine pointed out that the finish on the leading edge of my bonnet was particularly 'orange peely'(1 week old car btw)

he then went on to say that if a bodyshop had done the the job,then he would have refused to accept it.

Which got me to thinking.Thers's no doubt it's going to need repainting in 12 months time or so anyway(like the last one did)...do you think its worth pointing it out to my main dealer and kicking up a bit of a fuss about it

Jon
Old 21 April 2007, 01:56 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
Now I'm sure everyone is aware of the poor quality of Subaru's paint finish and it's resistance to stone chips etc

but a friend of mine pointed out that the finish on the leading edge of my bonnet was particularly 'orange peely'(1 week old car btw)

he then went on to say that if a bodyshop had done the the job,then he would have refused to accept it.

Which got me to thinking.Thers's no doubt it's going to need repainting in 12 months time or so anyway(like the last one did)...do you think its worth pointing it out to my main dealer and kicking up a bit of a fuss about it

Jon
damright
Old 21 April 2007, 02:04 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Polished mine yesterday (04 white) and have to agree that the paint finish is not great. Lots of peel on most surfaces. I think part of the problem is the water based paints. Not sure if your dealer will take any responsibility as most seem to be this way. Nothing that a lot of work with a power mop wouldn't sort
These issues aren't unique to subaru either. I know someone with a mercedes SL500 with rubbish paint.
Old 21 April 2007, 03:52 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I don't why people harp on about the Imprezas paint. My car is 11 years old, has no stone chips and doesn't have any orange peal.

Perhaps its unique?

The interior doesn't have a single rattle either
Old 21 April 2007, 06:32 PM
scooby jay
Scooby Regular

You will find that most cars these days have orange peel paint finishes due to the fact most high volume car makers use robots to paint cars these robots tend to blast the paint on at high speed thus resulting in the paint not flowing out because its baked at a hight temperature straight after its been coated a spray painter will get a better finish from the gun than you would ever get from the factory
Old 21 April 2007, 08:06 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

tbh the resistance to stone chips, your never gonna stop them happening just have to live with it. But as for the paint finnish being crap on a new car damn right i would kick up a stink about it till it was properly sorted out that is what the body warrenty is for why not get them to use it
Old 21 April 2007, 08:15 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by rob84
tbh the resistance to stone chips, your never gonna stop them happening just have to live with it. But as for the paint finnish being crap on a new car damn right i would kick up a stink about it till it was properly sorted out that is what the body warrenty is for why not get them to use it
I can't say that I'm too bothered about the paints actual finish as it is.

Just thought it might be handy to get a 'credit' for a bonnet respray

as I said,my last car needed a paint job due to stone chips within 12 months...and the new paint was a damn sight more resitant to chipping than the std water colour paint ever was thats for sure
Old 21 April 2007, 08:25 PM
scooby jay
Scooby Regular

Hello elmer sorry to go off topic but i see from your post lately that you,ve upgraded from an 05 sti to a hawkeye sti just wondered what your first impressions were on the diffrence between the two im about to do the same as you been a bit concerned about the lack of noise on the 2.5 sti all thou im sure a good backbox will cure this problem any advice you could give would be most helpfull
Old 21 April 2007, 08:55 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by scooby jay
Hello elmer sorry to go off topic but i see from your post lately that you,ve upgraded from an 05 sti to a hawkeye sti just wondered what your first impressions were on the diffrence between the two im about to do the same as you been a bit concerned about the lack of noise on the 2.5 sti all thou im sure a good backbox will cure this problem any advice you could give would be most helpfull
Well I'm very pleased with it so far

Obviously still running in,but its extra torque is deffo noticeable above that of the ppp'd 05.It seems to make the car feel lighter and you don't find yourself in the wrong gear as often so no need to keep changing down.(I actually hated the 05 6 speed box spacings)

Must say I prefer the 05 seats tho,the 06/07's don't offer much support.

As for the muted exhaust note,well I've fitted an H+S centre section(the oem resonated one was absolutely enormous) along with my old Genome silencer...I'm not partial to ultra loud exhausts but even with the Genome on its got its barumble back

Next I'm going for a 2nd cat replacement pipe,which I'm told can be fitted without any ecu changes necessary

Jon
Old 21 April 2007, 09:20 PM
scooby jay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
Well I'm very pleased with it so far

Obviously still running in,but its extra torque is deffo noticeable above that of the ppp'd 05.It seems to make the car feel lighter and you don't find yourself in the wrong gear as often so no need to keep changing down.(I actually hated the 05 6 speed box spacings)

Must say I prefer the 05 seats tho,the 06/07's don't offer much support.

As for the muted exhaust note,well I've fitted an H+S centre section(the oem resonated one was absolutely enormous) along with my old Genome silencer...I'm not partial to ultra loud exhausts but even with the Genome on its got its barumble back

Next I'm going for a 2nd cat replacement pipe,which I'm told can be fitted without any ecu changes necessary

Jon
Thanks for the reply im about to order a white sti on monday i test drove a 2.5 sti today was impressed how it pulled early on in the rev range even thou the test drive car had a couple of hundred miles on the clock so it really hasent had a chance to really open up yet ive got an afterburner back box on my 05sti so i hope this will cure the lack of burble im just loving the hawkeye in white
Old 21 April 2007, 09:29 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

good choice

..sorry,I couldn't resist the oppertunity not to

Last edited by Elmer Fudpucker; 21 April 2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 21 April 2007, 09:43 PM
scooby jay
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info elmer keep posting those lovely pics of the white beast you have there just have to wait now let us know how your finding the new scoob
Old 22 April 2007, 10:17 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I don't why people harp on about the Imprezas paint. My car is 11 years old, has no stone chips and doesn't have any orange peal.

Perhaps its unique?

No stone chips aye right!
Old 23 April 2007, 10:30 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Elmer

sweet motor fella!

Picking mine up tomorrow morning(07 white sti)

Cannot wait,im like a kid on christmas eve

mark
Old 23 April 2007, 10:38 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by COLZO
No stone chips aye right!
One on the roof, another tiny one on the rear wheel arch and two on the windscreen. If you must know.

Its covered in door dents though.....Wafer thin body panels
Old 23 April 2007, 11:17 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Elmer,

The car comes with a paint warranty, if you have serious concerns with the paintwork then get an expert's opinion in writing and take it to the Subaru Dealer, I'm sure there will be no problems in having it resolved especially due to the age of the car!!!

If they kick up a stink just contact IM direct
Old 23 April 2007, 11:23 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man

Perhaps its unique?

I must be lucky too, as my paint is perfect also.

(Can't say the same for the dash rattle though )
Old 23 April 2007, 04:25 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Polished Bliss did an article on detailing a white STI and they reckon that the white Subaru paint is really hard.I know on my car apart from a few chips on the plastic front bumper the metal work is virtually mark free.The original wheels now thats a different story - trying to get a new set out of Subaru because the paint on them is coming off in lumps.
Old 23 April 2007, 07:54 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmac800
Polished Bliss did an article on detailing a white STI and they reckon that the white Subaru paint is really hard.I know on my car apart from a few chips on the plastic front bumper the metal work is virtually mark free.The original wheels now thats a different story - trying to get a new set out of Subaru because the paint on them is coming off in lumps.
yeah, finding this myself with the paint. the front bumper and arch extensions are getting mullered but touch wood, the rest is doing ok

bit of a git with the wheels mate,odd one but good luck with the claim