Sponsored by:

Advice on centre section

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2007, 10:24 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on centre section

I fitted an Afterburner Vortex to a newage couple of months back, but I still want it to be louder...

So am thinking of getting the Afterburner De-cat Centre Section also...
Will this improve the noise in terms of loudness?

Also, am i right in thinking that as long as I don't touch the down or up pipe, that the car will still pass an MOT?
Old 18 April 2007, 10:31 PM
madmooro
Scooby Regular

if ya ask extreme scoobies they will lend ya a cat for mot at a cost of about 70 £ all in i think .and then ya can rip em all off and sound as loud as ya want .

www.xtremescoobies.ltd.uk
Old 18 April 2007, 10:34 PM
Scooby Regular

hi mate,i think it depends on wether you fit a de-cat centre section or not with the mot.
i recently fitted a magnex de-cat centre section to mine and it sounds awesome,well loud,.the problem is ill have to change it back for the mot,plus if im passing coppers its fifth gear and low revs until im up the road a bit.
Old 18 April 2007, 10:49 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you replace the pipe that joins onto the back box there will be an increase in noise. This is not a cat pipe only a resonator so no MOT probs.
Old 18 April 2007, 10:50 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Don't know what they're ^^^^^^on about.

I have a Vortex backbox, deresonated centre, and decat centre along with Prodrive sportcat downpipe.

If you fit the centre section and decat centre you will notice a mild noise increase but nothing that is outrageous(this will pass mot). Even with the sports cat again a mild increase. Afaik the biggest noise increase would be with a decat downpipe but then you are into "friendly" mot stations etc.

If you want a sound that you will be very happy with, I suggest the Blitz Nurspec R. Sell your backbox on Ebay (around 150-180) and get a system you will always be happy with.
Old 18 April 2007, 10:55 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by COLZO
If you replace the pipe that joins onto the back box there will be an increase in noise. This is not a cat pipe only a resonator so no MOT probs.
i dont no what model this chaps is but mines a 94 jdm and the pipe ive replaced my centre section with is a straight throu one.this a a plate welded on it which states not for road use,and trust me it made a huge difference to the volume.
Old 19 April 2007, 02:59 AM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

If it's UK spec like mine it's highly worthwhile getting rid of the centre cat, as it's not necessary for SVA emissions - there's still another cat on the downpipe. I've been really happy with my scoobysport decat centre section and backbox bought off here (arron) - made a great difference to the noise, feels quicker in higher gears thanks to less back pressure and just passed an MOT with no problems at all - no dicking around with replacing the cat centre section or anything.