Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No WRX in Europe is an outrage - complain now!

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2007, 06:56 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No WRX in Europe is an outrage - complain now!

Subaru has been explaining its apparently extraordinary decision to drop the best-selling versions of the Impreza range when the new model goes on sale in October.

'The decision to drop the WRX was taken for political reasons,' Subaru says. 'We have been charged with selling more non-turbo models in the UK and Europe to lower our average carbon dioxide figures.
So thanks to some green swampy we dont get a model that accounts for 70% of all Impreza sales in the UK.

Are Subaru on a suicide mission?

Ive had 3 WRX's all from new, and I had intended to get another after this. Seems the green lobby changed Subarus mind

Subaru UK customer services is on 0121 747 4000 - ring them tomorrow and offer some feedback!

The most retarded decision Ive ever seen a business make.
Old 16 April 2007, 06:59 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

All may not be as it seems.

We have to remember that the WRX of old is now well underpowered compared to a lot of the upcoming competition. The demise of this model may simply mean that the STI is the stable offering from Subaru.

It may be better for all of us that they have done this, just depends on the spec and price of course.
Old 16 April 2007, 07:01 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Im not so certain, the WRX is a performance bargain.

Im not sure they could sell the STI anywhere near a WRX could be got for.
Old 16 April 2007, 07:06 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Something was mentioned in this months Jap Performance regarding the WRX being diesel in 2008!!! and the STI staying as a petrol version
Old 16 April 2007, 07:06 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

give it time, think we need more info about what cars we are getting before we complain, i do agree tho mate love my 06 WRX
Old 16 April 2007, 07:07 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Well, the WRX certainly does have a following. If it really is for PR Green reasons then it stinks.

I still think we have to wait to see what the STI is going to look like, and its associated spec and cost. If the weight of the car has gone up again, you may well need STI power to equal straight line performance of the std UK classics.

If forget exact weights, but classic is around 1250kg and 215bhp giving 172 bhp/ton.

If the new car is around 1,550kg, then its going to need 267bhp just to keep pace
Old 16 April 2007, 07:12 PM
evogt
Scooby Regular

Let them do it and it might make the value of the classics go up LOL.

Trending Topics

Old 16 April 2007, 07:14 PM
evogt
Scooby Regular

flat 4 oil burning lump and no cam belt.
Old 16 April 2007, 07:19 PM
evogt
Scooby Regular

Old 16 April 2007, 07:33 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Well, the WRX certainly does have a following. If it really is for PR Green reasons then it stinks.

I still think we have to wait to see what the STI is going to look like, and its associated spec and cost. If the weight of the car has gone up again, you may well need STI power to equal straight line performance of the std UK classics.

If forget exact weights, but classic is around 1250kg and 215bhp giving 172 bhp/ton.

If the new car is around 1,550kg, then its going to need 267bhp just to keep pace

Has 1550 kg been quoted in the press ?
Old 16 April 2007, 07:59 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day Subaru are a business and want to shift as many cars and make as much money as possible. At the moment in the UK they are a 'niche' player with a small market share. I guess they want to become more 'mainstream' and sell in larger volumes to 'Mr Average'. This is probably what is behind the hatchback design and the 'bland' styling (an amalgam of BMW 1-series, Mazda3 and Honda Civic). Just like Toyota seem to have lost interest in selling sports cars in the UK. Business is business I'm afraid.
Old 16 April 2007, 08:01 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Has 1550 kg been quoted in the press ?
No, but current models are around the 1500kg mark. So if the WRX is just going to use standard materials, and Subaru have given in to the Euro nannies expect some more weight
Old 16 April 2007, 08:09 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

No, but current models are around the 1500kg mark. So if the WRX is just going to use standard materials, and Subaru have given in to the Euro nannies expect some more weight
Bugeye WRX was 1385kg. Did they get fatter still ?
Old 16 April 2007, 08:56 PM
BeeSTi
Scooby Regular

Location: Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out

My be time for the dark side next time then EVO 10 maybe ?
Old 16 April 2007, 09:01 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

The problem I have is the WRX at under 20k is a great performance bargain.

Both the STI and EVO10 are nearer the 30k and beyond my budget
Old 16 April 2007, 09:04 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

They have been drinking too much Sake ffs!!

Damn it, do we have to drop another one on them??
Old 16 April 2007, 10:01 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

I really don't get it myself , ok, fine they want to get into the hatch market, then make one the stands out, not yet another cheep looking dull pile of crp!, there's so many better looking non performance hatches on the market they have to compete with, why would you want the Subaru.
So ok its a performance hatchback...well again there's even more better looking performance hatches out there...ok maybe it will out perform the other hatches?, but then if you're going for the performance market.....well hold on that's where the WRX is isn't it? and doing quite well apparently...I just don't get it myself.

I bought my classic because it was the best performance car for the money, ok I bought second hand this time, but in the future I was thinking of buying a new one, because again you get so much performance and fun for the money and I'd like to buy a new car at least once in my life and sady 30k plus wont be in my price range so that's an STI of the list

All this about having more refinement etc in a car you buy because of its performance just seems crazy to me, the Lotus Elise is another great bargain for a performance car but you don't see Lotus compromising it for more refinement, its a track car for the road....well isn't the WRX supposed to be a rally car for the road? Ok BMWs, Porsche and the like may have more refinement but you pay a lot more to get it.

Oh, and another thing I don't get is on one of the videos sent round I'm shore some Subaru guy said they wanted to do better in Europe, so they made a European hatch......so now we're not getting the WRX in Europe?, there best seller? don get it.

Hay then what do I know I'm just a lowly Artist.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:02 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Microstar
At the end of the day Subaru are a business and want to shift as many cars and make as much money as possible. At the moment in the UK they are a 'niche' player with a small market share. I guess they want to become more 'mainstream' and sell in larger volumes to 'Mr Average'. This is probably what is behind the hatchback design and the 'bland' styling (an amalgam of BMW 1-series, Mazda3 and Honda Civic). Just like Toyota seem to have lost interest in selling sports cars in the UK. Business is business I'm afraid.
Its toyotas fault. They own shares in subaru, and have asprirations to fully buy out and control subaru. Subaru need the money, and the toyota board are leaning on them influencing their decisions so that they can get hold of that money. Also subaru was in partnership with GM, and we all know what crap GM produces.

Subaru need help, and if its from today say goodbye to the impreza you love today.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:14 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Bugeye WRX was 1385kg. Did they get fatter still ?
Mechanic I was talking to today said current model was getting on for 1500kg, maybe that's with fluids or something...dunno
Old 16 April 2007, 10:20 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Ive just noticed NO pillarless doors too

What have the bastds done to the Impreza????

next we'll find out what ever turbo model is left has equel length manifolds as some green tree hugger is offended by the burble.

Old 16 April 2007, 10:24 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't all get too disheartend just yet (well.. apart from it being bloody ugly) - I have 4th or 5th party rumour from a source I know and trust, from a sub-source I do not know, but who is apparently reliable and informed of such things - that the Impreza range might be a little more interesting than you think.

STI RA-R Type UK?
Old 16 April 2007, 10:25 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I never got the pillarless doors thing. You open your door and the glass is just so less well supported. Always feel like mine are going to break when you open the door to clean the inside of them.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:30 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The problem is this, I believe:

Under the framework of the European Climate Change Programme, the European Commission has carried out a review of the Community strategy to reduce CO2 emissions from light-duty vehicles (passenger cars and light-commercial vans), with a view to reaching the EU objective of 120 g CO2/km by 2012.
Environment - Air - Air Pollutants - CO2 and Cars

Changes are needed in order for each manufacturer to meet this target and I expect junking the the turbos which generate 244g and 257g for the WRX and STi, respectively. I already heard that Subaru would be selling a re-badged Daihatsu Sirion to get down to this level.
Cumberland News Motors

The greens have won
Old 16 April 2007, 10:30 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
the Impreza range might be a little more interesting than you think.
STI RA-R Type UK?
But it wont be sub 20k in price like the WRX is now. Remember the WRX counts for 70% of all Imprezas sold in the UK, not the 28k STI or other high end variants.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:32 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

If theres gonna be a 300bhp impreza im sure there will be a impreza with similiar performance and price to todays wrx.

If not buy a seat leon cupra R. They are cheap and extremly fast. Also easy to tune.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:33 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
The problem is this, I believe:

Under the framework of the European Climate Change Programme, the European Commission has carried out a review of the Community strategy to reduce CO2 emissions from light-duty vehicles (passenger cars and light-commercial vans), with a view to reaching the EU objective of 120 g CO2/km by 2012.
Environment - Air - Air Pollutants - CO2 and Cars

Changes are needed in order for each manufacturer to meet this target and I expect junking the the turbos which generate 244g and 257g for the WRX and STi, respectively. I already heard that Subaru would be selling a re-badged Daihatsu Sirion to get down to this level.
Cumberland News Motors

The greens have won
There has to be a work around to this. Perhaps they can sell the cars in a basically undriveable state of tune to get the 120 target...then the "unofficial official" performance map can be loaded after you have taken delivery
Old 16 April 2007, 10:37 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

The greens will be fookin up the performance car industry big time. Prepare for cars to get dramatically slower. All of the big germans are fighting the current legislations. Theres no way the performance models can reach that target in the current time frame.

Audi however has taken on the challenge and hired a extra 250 engineers.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:40 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There has to be a work around to this. Perhaps they can sell the cars in a basically undriveable state of tune to get the 120 target...then the "unofficial official" performance map can be loaded after you have taken delivery
I think BMW have the right idea, as they have stated an objective to meet the target, yet still create good, drivable cars. I fear that the breakthrough/killer technology to achieve this has yet to be developed though. Even the 1.0 Daihatsu Sirion2 spits out 118g CO2 per km and therefore only just comes in under the 120g required.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:42 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

errr have you actually seen the new WRX that you hanker after

subaru are doing you a favour mate
Old 16 April 2007, 11:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Direct injection with high compression would be a good start, along with good aerodynamics and a lighter/smaller hatchback body. There was also talk of an electric motor to fill in the bottom end. All these things could also be good for performance too.

Quick Reply: No WRX in Europe is an outrage - complain now!