Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's lonely being a Scooby owner!

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2007, 09:28 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's lonely being a Scooby owner!

Before I bought my Scooby just over a month ago, I had pictures in my head of every boy racer on the road queuing up to race me. What I've found is quite the opposite!

I'm wondering whether certain models of Scooby attract more attention from boyracers etc? Mine is a bugeye and the only two people I've had race me were a Ferrari on the M11 (that was fun) and a kid in his Pug 206 (he was just having a laugh). Whenever I come across Civic Type R's, Golf GTI's, Seat Leon Cupra R's, the drivers seem to become all... sensible! Yet, I hear alot of stories (mostly from Classic owners I thinK) of people wanting to race them. I wonder whether Classics attract that sort of attention more?

I'm not complaining mind... Coming from driving a Citroen C2 VTS which seemed to invite alot of racing (to which I'd usually lose!) it's nice to know people won't even try it when I'm in the scoob.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomena? Do other car drivers view classics/newage models differently?

/edit - I've also noticed people give me a great deal more respect generally on the road. I haven't had a single person tailgate me yet... It's wonderful.

Last edited by Probein; 15 April 2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 15 April 2007, 09:35 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Old 15 April 2007, 09:36 PM
SCOOBYDOOPETE
Scooby Regular

i had a mr2 turbo play with me today was good on roundabouts and short sprits me won big long straight thou the ****** went past i have uk turbo thou lol
Old 15 April 2007, 09:37 PM
SCOOBYDOOPETE
Scooby Regular

classic as well
Old 15 April 2007, 09:40 PM
ScoobyMaz
Scooby Regular

you are not alone, no-one really tries to race me, not that i would race as I normally have my little one in the car with me, but when I am out and about the only car ever to provoke me into racing was a Boxter, and I don't really think he was trying, or my car is quicker than I thought! (MY 02 Black STi)
And I agree about the respect, I certainly don't get cars moving over from the outside lane when I pull up behind them in my wifes Volvo.
Old 15 April 2007, 10:22 PM
pgudge
Scooby Regular

I suppose with a lot of newer cars having good bhp's these days, that they fancy taking on classics more, thinking they will beat them, but not the newer models.

Drive through the center of your town on a Friday night, I'm sure you will get some Mini/Civic/Perg.s to play with.

And count your self lucky, I had a Evo pull out on me today and do about 30 in a 40, so I went round him, and the **** sped up. Evo drivers must not like being over taken by soobys.

(I got past him)
Old 15 April 2007, 10:57 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

i,ve also found more people wanted to go against me, but you get the ones that know they aint got a hope in hell but wants to see how fast it accelerates and those that want to see if theres is bigger than yours lol.
Ive had more classics wanting to race me than others.But since owning the scoob ive had a aston martin, Z3 M3 roadster,and a porsche wanting to have a go aswell which was fun.

Trending Topics

Old 15 April 2007, 10:57 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Hoi Bob - you copied me suicide smiley !

Well used though.
Old 16 April 2007, 08:31 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Probein
/edit - I've also noticed people give me a great deal more respect generally on the road. I haven't had a single person tailgate me yet... It's wonderful.
This is very true - 4 years of ownership and never tailgated

Except by gay power rangers on motorbikes
Old 16 April 2007, 08:37 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like the Wild West this

The fastest car on the road

Put a kiddie (in their 20's) into a 500BHP monster and my frail 78 years in a UK Standard 215BHP Wagon and guess who would get to the shops quicker??

Yup, partner ...... the OAP!! - the kiddie doesn't know how to drive yet see? YeeeeeeHaaaaa
Old 16 April 2007, 08:47 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

no one wants to race you because you have a bugeye.....slow and heavy
it just wouldnt be fair
Old 16 April 2007, 09:00 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
it just wouldnt be fair
Ouch !!! Lol

I get people trying to have a go with me. Normally Civics, Corsa's (lol), Golfs and Honda's. Also some BMW drivers seem to have a chip on thier shoulder for some reason.

Thing is, people see me from behind and think, 'Ooh, Scooby, lets see if i can beat him?' they dont see my bonnet, or they just dont know any better..(i suppose i was bringing it on myself making my car look like it does)

I dont 'race', i think i am getting a bit old for that . If i drive fast its for my own satisfaction (without wanting to sound like an old fart). But i also know the limitations of my car as well, where as other people obviously think its way faster than it is.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:39 AM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Some interesting replies, cheers!

An example of more respect being shown was a couple of nights ago heading home from work. I left work at 10pm (shifts) and nobody was about. I pulled up to a set of lights with a huge, national speed limit straight ahead. I see a barry approach from behind in his modded (well, looked modded) clio sport and think, oooooooh he HAS to race me, he just has to. What does he do?? Starts to pull up beside me, decides it's a bad idea and falls into line behind me! So utterly dissapointing.
Old 16 April 2007, 11:13 AM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

^^ Never mind mate better luck next time at the lights!

I've had my bug wagon for a couple of months and come to think of it haven't a single person tailgate me yet either. Quite a few people have wanted to race though, off the lights etc (I only take the bait on a very rare occasion of course ) Some decent cars, Beemer 'M's', typeR's, Boxters etc and some old crap where the driver obviously wants to see just how well an Impreza actually goes. Interestingly though the most common car to try and get me to have a go is classic Impreza's!!

Hoping to take their mind off their rattly dashboards by proving bugs are slower and heavier ay Swiss
Old 16 April 2007, 11:14 AM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

i find talking on the phone, tail gating the car in front and being rude to others is all you need to do to get a good race!

JOKE!
Old 16 April 2007, 11:16 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

[quote=mwilliams;6840054
Hoping to take their mind off their rattly dashboards by proving bugs are slower and heavier ay Swiss [/quote]

I have grown to love my rattling dash, centre console etc etc..it makes for an interesting game as I drive into work..now where is that noise coming from today.mmmm
Old 16 April 2007, 11:17 AM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

Hoping to take their mind off their rattly dashboards by proving bugs are slower and heavier ay Swiss
You would try to over take to if you were in your lovely classic and there was some ugly peice of tin in front with subaru wriiten on it! wr blue no doubt!
lol
Old 16 April 2007, 11:39 AM
AndyP's_P1
Scooby Regular

The only races i seem to get are 'have a go heros'

Yesterday a vw polo tried to skin me from the traffic lights from the wrong lane. Was pretty funny tho as i didnt expect him to try it on so he had a little head start before i woke up and realised what he was doing. After the clutch was let out it was game over for him.
Old 16 April 2007, 11:44 AM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

I have grown to love my rattling dash, centre console etc etc..it makes for an interesting game as I drive into work..now where is that noise coming from today.mmmm

You would try to over take to if you were in your lovely classic and there was some ugly peice of tin in front with subaru wriiten on it! wr blue no doubt!
lol
Ugly as a pigs a**e but I love er. Anyway thats enough about the missus.
My one's in silver mate, but I probably would've picked the blue if had a choice!
Old 16 April 2007, 11:48 AM
scubasteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
This is very true - 4 years of ownership and never tailgated

Except by gay power rangers on motorbikes

What that all about??? No cars but bikers everytime.

Shocked a couple of em though.

Think the Bugeye model is just too intimadating thats why people wont race you. I've had one little race from the lights since october and low and behold it was a Classic impreza which got wasted

Enjoy your Car mate
Old 16 April 2007, 12:01 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean.

It's always cars that are not worth wasting the fuel on (getting old?!) or then there's none around that want to play.

Don't think i've even had one event in over a years ownership.

Just take to the local (favourite) lanes when i want to appreciate the car.
Old 16 April 2007, 12:20 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubasteve
What that all about??? No cars but bikers everytime.

Shocked a couple of em though.
<humour>
Best way to shock a biker is stick your brakes on when they are tailgating you at 4inches from your bumper. Then wander over as they pick themselves up and say "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule"... Oh how they laugh, gets em everytime.
</humour>

Another reason they aren't racing you is that a bugeye is much better from behind, no silly lights - and thats where the burble comes from
Old 16 April 2007, 12:23 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Hmm, perhaps I'll replace the WRX badge with a 1.1 badge.
Old 16 April 2007, 12:24 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Put a kiddie (in their 20's) into a 500BHP monster and my frail 78 years in a UK Standard 215BHP Wagon and guess who would get to the shops quicker??

Yup, partner ...... the OAP!! - the kiddie doesn't know how to drive yet see? YeeeeeeHaaaaa
You mean kiddies like Lewis Hamilton Pete ?
Old 16 April 2007, 12:26 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

I have a bugeye and the same goes no one tries to race me either, not that I am complaining
Old 16 April 2007, 12:32 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Had a classic wagon try to race me in the pouring rain (me in my modded fugly). I just let him go - I didn't fancy testing exactly where the 4wd would run out of grip on a public road !!
Old 16 April 2007, 12:34 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

99% of cars move over for mine, but there's always the odd BMW 320i sort of driver who thinks there car is a tad faster than it actually is!
Old 16 April 2007, 02:04 PM
scubasteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
it just wouldnt be fair

Dont tony you'll hurt my feelings

Sick of bug haters get a life! there no heavier than a blob eye anyway and as for slow.Depends on the spec that really, Dont you think>????
Old 16 April 2007, 02:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

Bull**** - 80 year old Fred next door would get there quicker on the bus
Old 16 April 2007, 04:10 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubasteve
Dont tony you'll hurt my feelings

Sick of bug haters get a life! there no heavier than a blob eye anyway and as for slow.Depends on the spec that really, Dont you think>????
twas a joke
one of best pals on here had a bugeye and I am still mates with him

Quick Reply: It's lonely being a Scooby owner!