Sponsored by:

BMW 330

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2001, 08:00 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was recently considering several cars for my wife to drive and was mainly intrested in a standard UK Impreza, a Honda Accord Type R and a Audi A4 3L. However, after test driving these and a BMW 330, I think that we will go for the latter. It seems to best combine style, poise, comfort and drivability (IMO)

Does anyone have experience of owning/driving one of these. Also does anyone have an opinion (I'm sure you all do) what to buy with about 25K.

Cheers
Old 14 December 2001, 08:12 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Me again!

I used to have a 323iSE (2.5 straight 6, 170bhp (now 192) latest shape). Cost £24,770 with leather, multi CD, 17" alloys, sports suspension. It was no 330 though! I can give you my opinion on this if you want?
Old 14 December 2001, 08:18 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi again,

Yes, your opinion would be very valued
Old 14 December 2001, 08:22 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I know a couple of 330 and 330d owners. All very happy with the car. It'll look good parked in the garage next to the porker too
For the money only the Audi comes close to matching it for image, and the BMW is much better to drive.
The new Alfa 156 GTA is kinda sexy and much rarer though, have you tried one? Downside is residuals and build quality.
Chuck
Old 14 December 2001, 08:24 AM
Great~taste~Bloke
Scooby Regular

Good freind of mine has a 330ci for himself and a 330 4 door diesel for the mrs.Both are fine cars but I think the diesel impressed me more, very quick and loads of torque. Petrol lacks impreza go (or 330d) at low rpm.
Both nice.
Matthew
Old 14 December 2001, 08:33 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Chuckster,

No, I've not tried the Alfa 156 GTA. Nice car is it?

I've also heard a few reports about the 330D being a very nice car, quick too (when its rolling), something else to consider I suppose....so many choices

Old 14 December 2001, 09:00 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think the 323 was the only car I've had I wish I hadn't got rid of. As you would expect no problems to report, great build quality, ride etc. Corner Braking Control gizmo takes a bit of getting used to. I think following the string on the Type R it had better/quieter crusing and was very comfortable. I just engaged my memory (waking up now) and have in fact briefly driven a 330d touring that my girlfriend had whilst her Bimmer was being serviced and that remember that as being a real eye opener!
I think you have to get the right suspension/wheels to make the 3 series look good though. Just my opinion.

The girlfriend is expecting a 320Ci Cabriolet in April.

Trending Topics

Old 14 December 2001, 09:19 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

**Calling MattOz**

Go for the 330d...tis a real surprising package...
And if the price is right I know of one for sale
Old 14 December 2001, 09:26 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

911Boy,

I gotta 330D sport. Cracking car, and would recommend it to anyone who's after a quick car with superb economy. It's currently for sale in Autocar magazine, so if you fancy one, drop me a mail!

Cheers

Matt
Old 14 December 2001, 09:32 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

I've heard the 330D is a nice car, but I've no idea as we've not tested one

Might try to over the next few days and may come back to you on that offer Matt
Old 14 December 2001, 09:53 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm in the process of buying a 330ci now - company car MY98 Scoob goes back in 3 weeks time (and I'm going to miss it big time).

Paying 25k for a 1 year old, 8,000 mile black 330ci with the 18" MV alloys , full black leather, etc. Lovely car. Nowhere near as much fun as the Scoob but I'm going to be doing lots more miles now, I'm based in London anyway and I've got a Caterham for actually enjoying driving.

I was 30 3 months ago and I'm getting awfully sensible......

Marc
Old 14 December 2001, 10:00 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Isnt the new Compact 320Td supposed to be a real peach as well with better sorted handling than the 330.

The 320d motor has been revamped making it no far off the 330d in terms of grunt but considerably cheaper.

330s are nice but its all down to getting a car with the right spec. Some of the wood interiors on current BMs are just plain foul.
Old 14 December 2001, 10:27 AM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Spoiler alert - Jag X-Type 3.0 Sport? They are better looking inside than out, engine is nice, performance not dissimilar to the BMW, great fun to chuck around but an amazing ride too. More of a natural progression from the Subaru, possibly?
Old 14 December 2001, 10:42 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Wilf - new compact looks hideous so don't care how it drives

SJobson - tried a X type 3.0 Sport. Interior not as nice (as long as you avoid the hideous wood BM dashboards as Wilf so correctly pointed out!). Just didn't enjoy it as much as the BMW. Mind you,was tempted by Trade Sales in Slough who are selling brand new 3.0 Sport X-types with manual box, metallic paint, full leather and 3 year warranty for £23,499!

Marc
Old 14 December 2001, 10:44 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

I'm still a bit undecided. I really think that a standard new shape Impreza would be the most fun and best compromise. I think I'll push it that way The beemer is nice, but rear wheel drive worries me a bit
Old 14 December 2001, 10:48 AM
humbug
Scooby Regular

I agree with the fear of RWD and women- they just can't handle it and tend to spin the car on roundabouts. My sister spun her MX5 and that's got no poower to speak of.

I generally don't think it is safe for women to be at the wheel of any car with more than about 85 BHP and certainly not RWD.
Old 14 December 2001, 10:50 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

SJobson - previously quoted-"Spoiler alert - Jag X-Type 3.0 Sport? They are better looking inside than out, engine is nice, performance not dissimilar to the BMW, great fun to chuck around but an amazing ride too. More of a natural progression from the Subaru, possibly?"

a Jag a natural progression from a scooby a SKYLINE methinks matey Jag would be a downgrade

shunty
Old 14 December 2001, 10:54 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

compact looks grim
330 looks lush!. One of the best looking cars about in my opinion
Old 14 December 2001, 11:17 AM
Z75
Scooby Regular

Angry

Have to spoil this cosy little let's pat ourselves on the back Beemer party. Where are all the Impreza enthusiasts? ... tumbleweed goes by... Or are all Impreza owners just wannabee beemer owners.

I haven't owned one (because I wouldn't waste my money on one) but I've driven a few and been in a few. First of all, style. Don't make me laugh, BMWs are all ugly Rhine barges. I think the Impreza has bags more style. If you really want style you'll be looking for Italian.

Then there's RWD etc. Well the traction control does a pretty good job of cutting power when you try to do something silly so effectively you only will have 85bhp at the back wheel anyway.

BMW approach to handling:
Build a bog standard car then use electronics to compensate

Subaru approach to handling:
Spend 30 years developing car, win rally championship, get the mechanicals right in the first place. Use 4WD, twin LSDs etc.

As far as I can see people either get BMWs becuase it's the only non-FWD option on the co car list or they want to be talked about down the pub. So if you think you're going to impress the neighbours or get a pay rise go for it - although if you were my neighbour I'd just think you had bad taste.

Unfortunately, the UK has built up this mystical image of the BMW which consumers can't get out of their heads. In the January 2001 edition of Car magazine a reader from NZ neatly summed this up:

"For some years British motoring journals have put the German motor industry - and BMW in particular - on a pedestal above all others. My car ownership has included many Alfas, currently a GTV 3.0-litre and 156, Fiats, various Japanese cars and a Freelander. Having read so much adulation of BMW, I began to wonder where I had gone wrong. So, eventually, I had to drive a new 330i. What a let down. Yes, the ride was very good and the engine certainly a delight, but at the straight ahead the steering was vague with very little feedback. It also markedly understeered through corners. The interior was cold and terribly bland, the leather seats were rough and ready and a surplus of hi-tech equipment adds to the cost but not to driver enjoyment.

I found that after an hour and a half driving over mixed roads, I was somewhat bemused. Had I missed something? Had I got it wrong somewhere? How could all those glowing reports have glossed over what I found? My abiding impression was that the BMW was an expensive, refined, comfortable, but very ordinary motor car. It was certainly not a driver's machine.

BMW's greatest achievement has been creating a mythical image that huge numbers of buyers just can't seem to resist."

For 25 large go and buy an STI.
Old 14 December 2001, 11:26 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Where are all the Impreza enthusiasts? ... tumbleweed goes by... Or are all Impreza owners just wannabee beemer owners

hmmmm I wish - God only knows what I could do with an E30 M3 EVO <dribble>
Old 14 December 2001, 11:27 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jesus Z75,

I get the impression we touched a raw nerve there Only kidding LOL.

I'm certainly going to look into a scooby, not sure about the STI but the normal one seems fine to me.

Thanx for all the feedback though
Old 14 December 2001, 11:28 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Jesus Z75,

I'm certainly going to look into a scooby, not sure about the STI but the normal one seems fine to me.

Old 14 December 2001, 11:29 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Jesus Z75,

Old 14 December 2001, 11:30 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry guys............my PC at work has gone T**S up!!!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 14 December 2001, 11:56 AM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Well, I've got a Scooby and am keeping it, ta. Tempted by a Legacy next or maybe a UK STI VII. But I drove the X-Type last weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how it drove. I haven't driven a 330i, nor an A4 (TT was numb so A4 wouldn't tempt me anyway) nor a C320, though.

It seemed to me that the Jag's handling would make it the natural progression from a Scoob - if you want a compact executive 6-cyl car, that's all. Skyline's a different kettle of fish altogether!
Old 14 December 2001, 12:19 PM
Z75
Scooby Regular

Just making sure you hear the other side of the debate.

Sounds like the X-Type might be worth a look. The Ford switchgear would put me off though - Ford has been diluting the individuality of these cars (but probably improving the reliability as well).

It's such a shame that Lexus' new IS300 fell well short of the mark in terms of performance. If Lexus/Toyota got their act together they could give BMW a real scare in the sales stakes with this cool baby exec. Toyota go into F1 but don't have many quick cars in their portfolio - where's the logic in that. Give the IS300/IS200 a go and see what you think.

No doubt, the presence of peer pressure, a fussy partner or the need to be seen in a BMW by clients may mean that I own a Beemer in the future. Probably it will be a competent and able car. But until then I'd rather have something more interesting.
Old 14 December 2001, 01:59 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

For anyone who comes upto me and tells me that their BM'er is this and that, and how much better it is... I have one thing to say:

If your BM'er is so fu%king good, why does it need so many electronic gadgets to keep it on the road.

You don't get many answers to that one. (strange that)

-
Mikee
Old 14 December 2001, 02:05 PM
greeny
Scooby Regular

The 330d is undoubtedly a good car (and for a deisel a great car) but it's certinly no Impreza when it comes to performance and handling and is considerably more expensive.

All comes down to whether you are after an involving, exciting driving experiance, or a well built competent motorway express.

I Considered changing to a 330d a few months ago after all the reviews etc, but after driving a couple I just couldn't.
Old 14 December 2001, 02:51 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

The BMW's are fantastic cars but way too common, go onto any new estate of "Executive" style houses and there are lines of the things.

PS contrary to popular belief, they can and do break down with BIG engine problems.

I like the cars and can see why people buy them but I just couldnt sign on the dotted.
Old 14 December 2001, 04:34 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Mike,

The traction control on my 330 is fantastic. It's rarely intrusive, and when it does finally come in, it's very progressive. You're talking about aids with traction and other electronics. Surely an Impreza is aided massively by AWD? Or am I totally wrong?

Also, compared to the BMW, an Impreza has pathetic turn-in, and understeers like a winner. Of course this is in the dry. In the wet, the Impreza is bound to be quicker due to its 4x4. You'd be suprised how close it is though.

Matt

Quick Reply: BMW 330