Sponsored by:

What are your settings on your SECS/PSi3

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2007, 12:27 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your settings on your SECS/PSi3

I have looked about on various threads, but just wanted to make sure im getting my info right.
Had the scoob a few months now, and fitted an LCD PSi3 SECS unit.

Now there are various alarms, peak boost, voltage, coolant etc. I just wondered what people had their alarms set to. Would be good to get mine set up within safe parameters. Its an '02 WRX.
Old 30 March 2007, 01:56 PM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested in knowing this as I want to buy a SECS unit
Old 30 March 2007, 02:04 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Blimey did I start a half sensible thread!!

Serious though, being able to have access to the data is great, knowing what is good/ bad right/wrong is another thing. So any info would be great.

Such as my peak coolant has been 94 so far, and boost has peaked at 14.5psi. Voltage usually hangs about 14-14.5v
I usually start to drive over 3k at about 75 degrees etc..

So many questions, but all on the one topic

What boost should I be hitting
What is the minimum temp before driving harder
Whats the max temp for coolant to reach
etc...

Im not even gonna get started on ignition timing, lambda, injector duration, intake temp lol
Old 30 March 2007, 07:30 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

No-one ??
Old 01 April 2007, 08:43 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Finally got it all fitted in properly, nice and snug, once I realised the cage from the factory one unscrewed and pscrewed perfectly onto the Alpine and SECS units

So.......... no one else set theirs up then ?
Old 01 April 2007, 09:49 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've reset my peak coolant to 97 degrees because the fans kick in at 96 when I'm queuing in traffic. I used to get an alarm every 2 mins in queue for high coolant. Since then no alarms and the temp is still low enough to warn of impending trouble.

My volts also sit between 14.7 (on start-up after the car has stood for a while) to 13.8 volts. Usually sits around 14v, normal driving, sideights and stereo on and heater on setting 1. Drops with things like rear windscreen demister and more lights.

Boost isn't a problem as I'm only making 0.6 bar and can't find the problem at the moment, so I'm not expecting and peak boost alarms, but iirc I've set the alarm for 1.55bar.

I usually monitor the oil temp more than the water temp (seperate gauge) as a measure of when the engine is warm enough to be caned. Anything over about 60 degrees of oil temp really.
Old 01 April 2007, 06:24 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Nice, one Jon, cheers for that. Atleast I have a benchmark to work to
I was on 98 for coolant, but other cars I have owned have safely run just over the 100 mark. Was not sure about the scoob.

Voltage sounds right to me, I have not touched the settings on that, but heard about issues with overcharging on scoob's, so was weary.

As for the boost, I hit 15.1psi, so better get doing my maths as everyone uses BAR hehe. Time for me to re-educate myself.

Not got anything to tell me oil temp right now, but went on the basis that the car rests around 87 for coolant, so possibly stupidly went on the basis that once it reaches about 75 I should be ok.
Old 01 April 2007, 06:49 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

1 bar = 14.7 PSI. 1 bar is about the norm for newage and 0.9ish for a classic I believe.

My old cav used to run to about 101-102 degrees. But for the scoob I set the alarm to one degree above fan cut-in so I can see any changes.

My coolant rests about 87-88, drops to as low as 82-83 after I've had a rapid run, but the oil sits at around the 90-92 degree mark, but has run as hot as 95 degrees after a spirited drive.
Old 01 April 2007, 06:54 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just done the conversion on my reading, 15.1 = 1.04BAR Hmmm, anything to worry about anyone think ? Dangerous spike? Or normal.

So is the fan switch actually set to 96 then? Might be worth setting mine to 97 too then. As for oil temp, how are you monitoring yours? Did you get the added sensors or using something else ?
Old 01 April 2007, 07:04 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Boost sounds fine, wish mine would make that.

I have a triple gauge set that monitors oil temp and pressure as a well as a seperate boost gauge.

As for the fan switch, not sure on the factory setting, but that is what this car brought the fans on at and I was fed up of cancelling the alarm every couple of minutes when stuck in traffic.
Old 01 April 2007, 07:06 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Aaah cool, cheers for the coolant question. Yeah mine again is about the same so until I find out otherwise I will consider mine "normal"
Have you had a different gauge measure your boost? Does it feel down?

Sorry for all the questions from a noob.
I will have to look into oil temp and pressure, realising how important it is. Not that I have any mods, but anything can go wrong eh.
Old 01 April 2007, 07:08 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just had a read of this thread... https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...t=coolant+temp

Which suggests high 90's is ABnormal... hmmm. Cant imagine a car running and staying in the mid 80s for some reason, certainly not a forced induction.
Old 01 April 2007, 07:25 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Both my boost gauge and my PSI3 read the same boost. It doesn't feel any slower than my sister's boyfriends WRX of the same vintage. I'm getting a new exhaust and TMIC then a remap, so I'll get the boost checked then. I'm not over concerned as it's underboosting.

Just checked the subaru service manual, the fan switch for a newage is set to 96 degrees. The OE thermostat starts opening between 76 and 80 degrees isn't fully open until 91 degrees. My reading sound perfectly normal to me.
Old 01 April 2007, 07:35 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Just checked the subaru service manual, the fan switch for a newage is set to 96 degrees. The OE thermostat starts opening between 76 and 80 degrees isn't fully open until 91 degrees. My reading sound perfectly normal to me.
Makes good reading to me too mate, cheers for that