Sponsored by:

Hawkeye judder.

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2007, 08:24 PM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye judder.

I picked up my new car yesterday, which is a 55 plate Hawkeye STi. When you are on full lock (In either direction) and moving very slowly, there is a judder from the transmission, as if the drive is not being split correctly between the four wheels. This only seems to occur if the clutch is part way in/out. If the pedal is fully out or in, then the judder is not there. I've noticed a similar thing to this whilst driving Japanese four wheel drive double cabs in work (when you have the four wheel drive engaged). Is this a sympton of the four wheel drive, or a problem with my car? Its my third Impreza, and i've never noticed the problem before.

Last edited by cuttsysti; 29 March 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 29 March 2007, 08:33 PM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

It's normal. Just enjoy in you car!
Old 29 March 2007, 09:31 PM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

Is this something thats specific to this model then? I've not noticed it previously.
Old 29 March 2007, 09:55 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The full lock judder is something to do with the DCCD and where you have it set I think. I dunno exactly cos I haven't got it!
Old 29 March 2007, 10:08 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

It is normal. Two ways you can cancel it out, 1. lift the handbrake one notch when parking etc, 2. roll it down to the green light on the dash. Dont ask me the in's and out's, but it works!
Old 29 March 2007, 10:13 PM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

Cheers fot the input guys. Having just spent the best part of twenty grand I was a bit P####d off when it happened. Seemed quite concerning at first.
Old 29 March 2007, 11:13 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

More importantly, what colour did you get
Old 29 March 2007, 11:45 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I've got a 56 plate STi Spec D and yep - its related to the DCCD - I always switch to manual when parking/low speeds and roll the setting right back to the green setting. This offers the least resistance on the torque split and gets rid of the traits you mention.

Gareth
Old 30 March 2007, 07:35 AM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
More importantly, what colour did you get
Now this is an interesting point! I ordered a new Urban Grey one at christmas which was meant to be delivered on March 1st. It didn't turn up, and still hasn't, so I got this one instead which is in Crystal Grey. Now I've got it I think I prefer the Crystal Grey, but then I suppose I would say that.
Old 30 March 2007, 08:38 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by cuttsysti
I picked up my new car yesterday, which is a 55 plate Hawkeye STi. When you are on full lock (In either direction) and moving very slowly, there is a judder from the transmission, as if the drive is not being split correctly between the four wheels. This only seems to occur if the clutch is part way in/out. If the pedal is fully out or in, then the judder is not there. I've noticed a similar thing to this whilst driving Japanese four wheel drive double cabs in work (when you have the four wheel drive engaged). Is this a sympton of the four wheel drive, or a problem with my car? Its my third Impreza, and i've never noticed the problem before.
Exactly WHY I sold my MY02, I got totally peed off which clutch judder. The kangarooing in traffic made it look like I was an old geriatric even though I do look young for my tender years. Its time Subaru sorted there tranmissions Audi put over 400bhp through an all wheel drive system and not a murmer from the clutch. I drove one through Bury St Edmunds in rush hour before finally deciding on one of their lesser but equally potent models
Old 31 March 2007, 12:13 AM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

It all adds to the fun and extra driver involvement!

I wouldn't give up my 06 STI for the world!

Old 01 April 2007, 07:30 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

On the juddering in traffic thing, I find the easiest thing is not to use the right foot at all - just pull away without throttle. Car sorts itself out and no kangarooing

Useful to know about the DCCD - I'll try that next time (all the way to green) - it hasn't moved off Auto since I bought the car!!
Old 01 April 2007, 10:28 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuttsysti
Now this is an interesting point! I ordered a new Urban Grey one at christmas which was meant to be delivered on March 1st. It didn't turn up, and still hasn't, so I got this one instead which is in Crystal Grey. Now I've got it I think I prefer the Crystal Grey, but then I suppose I would say that.
Defo the best colour

Well I own a CG also

I did have a black one on order, that fell thru, ordered a white one and SPec c typre RA wheels, that fell thru (blue, white & black were not available any more ) so it was silver or CG
Old 01 April 2007, 10:29 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

when reversing, 3 point turns i switch to manual and roll fully back.

When on motorway switch to manual full front (lock) car feels a lot more planted and sturdy