Sponsored by:

Spec D opinions...?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2007, 04:43 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec D opinions...?

Thinking of moving from my '03 WRX to an '06 Spec D.

What sort of differences should I expect, performance (esp. mid range) , fuel economy, ride, build quality etc etc....

All opinions gratefully received.

Will most likely add ppp due to warranty situation.

Cheers,
Nige.
Old 22 March 2007, 09:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Spec D is 265bhp (PS?) as standard or 305bhp (PS?) with PPP ... should be quite a bit faster than a WRX

TX.
Old 22 March 2007, 09:36 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Also looks rather nice

http://www.carpages.co.uk/subaru/sub...r_07_10_05.jpg

compared to

http://performancepartszone.com/wp-c...0/DSC01191.JPG

ignore the girls if you can

TX.
Old 22 March 2007, 10:41 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Beefy from the SMACS has just got one, he maybe along shortly to give his opinion. They look very stealthy though
Old 23 March 2007, 11:45 AM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I'm sure someone on here has owned both, but in the meantime, I would say:

Performance - Obviously faster as more power, but as standard, a bit more peaky than the WRX. Comes to life above 4k rpm (PPP will be better).

Economy - About 4mpg less (give or take)

Ride - A bit harder

Build - Probably exactly the same

Toys - Leather, sat nav etc

Road tax - £400 next year (about double a WRX '03)

P.S. I wouldn't say no to a spec D (I prefer the stealth look)

Last edited by Mark'sWRX; 23 March 2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 23 March 2007, 12:16 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Spec D is just a subtle STI appearance wise.

Power as standard from the 2.5 is approx 276BHP and PPP should take that somewhere IRO of 315BHP.
Old 23 March 2007, 12:53 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

A 2.5 litre WRX will be in the top band as well ! hence might as well just buy buy a STI - well that my justification sorted and hopefully will be a spec D version - thats if they release a Spec D or equilivant in the 2008 model range
Richard

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2007, 01:47 PM
rpw
Scooby Regular

i have one it is just an sti in sheeps clothing as i have been told!! the only thing i dont like about it is when you hear some one say thats a nice car then there friend replies yea but its not one of the good ones!! which i presume by that they mean its not an sti but ill get over it especially when some theif walks on by and steals the blue sti at the bottom of the road as they think mine isnt quick enough lol
Old 23 March 2007, 01:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

wouldn't bother with the spec d, just get a sti.
Old 23 March 2007, 02:36 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Thinking of moving from my '03 WRX to an '06 Spec D.

What sort of differences should I expect, performance (esp. mid range) , fuel economy, ride, build quality etc etc....

All opinions gratefully received.

Will most likely add ppp due to warranty situation.

Cheers,
Nige.
I can't compare an 03 WRX to a Spec D as I got my 'D' after y WR1 was stolen.

The interior feels much better than the WR1 interior but that is probably almost entirely down to the leather trim. The other bits and pieces such as the extra sound proofing, better radio, bluetooth and Smartnav satnav have all been worth having.

I can't really comment on the other things as 1, I came from a diferent sort of Scooby to the 'D' and 2, my 'D' is not exactly standard! Feel free to have a look at My Car.

PPP isn't the only option my dealer arranged the engine and other modifications to my car before delivery and will honour my warranty and as you can see I am running more power and torque than a PPP car.

Regards,

Robin
Old 23 March 2007, 02:46 PM
rpw
Scooby Regular

nice car mate, what pack did you have that does not effect the warrenty? how much?
Old 23 March 2007, 04:08 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rpw
nice car mate, what pack did you have that does not effect the warrenty? how much?
The dealer hs an arrangement with Powerstation I believe, and as they arrange it they honour the warranty. I imagine this means in principle that the dealer will sort anything themelves that Subaru will not sort out as a result of it not having the official PPP.

I think this arrangement is specific to the Subaru dealer I use though.

Regards,

Robin
Old 23 March 2007, 06:07 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Well, job's a good 'un as they say.

Deposit paid today, car was in stock late this afternoon. A bit of mucking about with my p/plate and retention certificates, then I can collect it late next week.

Took a test drive in one today with 8k on the clock (guy just traded it in for an RB320 - anyone on here?). Feels much tighter, better screwed together and performance and braking wise a different car altogether. I'm loving the shorter shifting gearbox, but will need to be making the Smartnav disappear and my newish Tomtom taking it's place.

Am i a happy bunny or what..?!!!

Old 23 March 2007, 06:44 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Bought a Spec D last November, after the 05WRX SL , and while the car itself is great, a bit disappointed with the bits that make it a "Spec D"

Yes its discreet, and thats the point, but the "luxury bits" that make it the "range topper" (at least until the RB320 came out) are disappointing.

The Pioneer bluetooth hifi, while a great head unit musically, is absolute sh1te as a handsfree phone unit, so much so that I've disabled the phone function and had a Sony Ericsson unit fitted instead. The SmartNav is great, but if you already have a TomTom or Navman, unneccessary, (I didn't, so thats OK, but I'll have to pay the subscription charge later in the year), but does look like an afterthought as its stuck on by the vent. The leather while looking nice, isn't that thick, and consequently is already starting to look used on the driver seat. Also the leather seats aren't heated, unlike the WRX SL.

On paper the car was what I was after, but with hindsight, I could have had a standard 06 STi in crystal grey, got the dealer to swop the whole bootlid with a new crystal grey WRX (plus a cash adjustment ), put PFF7's on the car (and sold the original original STi golds and RE070s), fitted the Sony handsfree (which I had to anyway), and bought a Navman.

I would have (with the exception of the leather, and the extra soundproofing, of which I'm not totally convinced) more or less the car I have now, but also had the PPP fitted and, as a total cost package, saved a bit of cash.

When you consider that the RB320 costs more or less the list price of the Spec D when I bought it, although the RB320 is the antithesis of the Spec D, and not a car I would buy (high mileage means it would be wasted on me), I feel a bit shortchanged.

Only time will tell whether Spec D prices will stay a bit higher than the standard STi, as its a limited edition, but the extras over the Sti are unlikely to add much value.

Sorry for the negative comments - hope you enjoy the car - but, for me, the Spec D bit of STi Spec D has been a bit of a let down

Gareth
Old 23 March 2007, 11:36 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Some well made points GarethE.

Especially the nav thingy stuck on the vent. That'll be coming off in the first few days. It nearly deafened me on the test drive bleeping near a speed camera. My tomtom does a great job anyway..!! I also currently have the exact same Pioneer handsfree stereo in my '03 wrx and find it a perfectly fine bit of kit. I've got the microphone up on the visor though, maybe that helps a touch..?

Though at the price I paid (seems to be some rather good deals around - £10k less than a new RB320!?), I'm still a very happy bunny.
Old 23 March 2007, 11:42 PM
rosswalker
Scooby Regular

IMO the Spec D is the coolest Impreza available.
Old 24 March 2007, 12:07 AM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

like you said cracking deals - dealering offering one for £19995 0 miles 07 plate this week but now all soldfunnily enough. Lot of car for that money.
Old 24 March 2007, 12:52 AM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

I am very pleased with my change from MY05 WRX PPP to MY06 STi Spec D. Its a much easier car to drive than the WRX as the way the power is delivered has changed completely with the bigger engine (it pulls all the time from lower revs so there is much less waiting for the turbo to spool up).

There are some things to note, the fuel economy is obviously worse than the WRX, the ride is firmer and there is a 6 speed 'box to contend with. However for me these are all plus's with the exception of the fuel economy of course!

I love the colour of the car and the wheels, the leather interior is a step up from the interior in the WRX and the pioneer stereo works well as a hands-free setup. The smartnav and so on all seems good to and my old Navman has been consigned to the desk draw for now.

Its early days for me, I've only covered 1000 miles, but im really pleased with it and suspect you will be too.
Old 24 March 2007, 12:33 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Lovely looking cars, I'd have one over the Sti!
I love the fact that as mentioned above people think it's just a standard WRX, not for performance purposes but for security and peace of mind.
I didn't realise you could pick them up for £19,995 new.
Old 25 March 2007, 10:22 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up mine on Saturday - loving it

Running in so taking it easy but can't wait!

Pics will go up later. Very happy with the car - you'll love it.
Old 21 April 2007, 03:56 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know the part numbers to D-Spec D a Spec-D ... (sorry Spec D lovers- just curious how much it would be to de-spec D one..)

Rear spoiler - will mount on the existing holes - brake light simple swapover job?

Smaller rear screen spolier - bonded job I'm assuming

Front and rear badges - self adhesive I'm assuming?

Side decals

Front fog light covers - pop out & in job?

Any other parts I've missed? (exterior)

Curious - how much can this lot be had for.... Any ideas on Prices - main dealer best option ?