Sponsored by:

Glad I moved on

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2007, 09:07 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Glad I moved on

Boy am I glad I turned the corner and moved away from Subaru ownership. The following points swayed my decision:

1/ Last year after the initial hike in road fund for the top band to £210 I half expected yet another increase at next budget. Fact: today Golden Brown put that rate up to £400
2/ Chav rear lights. Right, what's going on here? I don't want to buy a brand new car which just looks like I have been and spent £29.99 on after market rear lights from Halfords.
3/ Image: There is a new breed now purchasing Subaru vehicles. Now I don't want to stereotype and I am not suggesting in any way that the good people on this forum can be likened to this image but as far as I am concerned there are now a lot of a "lesser character" now buying the "classics" which is harming the breed. I am sure the vast majority of these plebs would not know how to switch on a PC let alone obtain a Scoobynet account name.
4/ Build: Well, what can I say. After 6 months in my Audi A4 2.0T S line special edition I can say hand on heart there is no comparison. I know now all the Subaru purists will rant on about you don't look at the fireplace while stoking the fire, but let me tell you this, my new Audi is faster both in a straight line and in the wet AND around the Suffolk countryside than my previous MY02 prodrive wagon. The reason? Quattro all wheel drive, 220PS, and an engine which will rev furiously to the red line and return mid 30's mpg. All aluminium chassis components help keep the weight down. Oh, and when I am visiting the local garden centre on a Sunday I get looks of admiration rather than disdain.

In conclusion Subaru need to catch up. The competition is now very very fierce. Put away your WRC blue tinted spectacles (they never win any rallies now anyway so whats the point) and go and test drive one of these fine cars:

1/ Golf GTI
2/ Audi 2.0T S line quattro special edition (220PS)
3/ Audi S3
4/ Golf R32

Last edited by bluto22b; 21 March 2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 21 March 2007, 09:15 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Some valid points there - especially the chav rear lights ! Your right Subaru do need to take off the blue tinted WRC spectales and do a lot of catching up - finger crossed for the MY08 cars - Deffo on the interiors !
But one thing puzzles me on why think your A4 S line is quicker than your old prodrive (so assuming PPP)? wagon. Or was it just a prodrive badge on a standard bug ? Surely PPP gave it approx 250 BHP compared to 220PS of the audi ?

PS happy MY05 owner !!
Richard
Old 21 March 2007, 09:29 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

Good for you keep reassuring yourself

I have not got lexus lights cause i can not use a computer to go to ebay to buy some.

Neil
Old 21 March 2007, 09:32 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

My MY02 bugeye was PPP because I had it done. The reason why it was slower in my opinion is because the power band in that car was quite narrow almost like a diesel, after 5000 rpm it wouldn't pull as hard. Secondly, I think Subaru's 4wd tranmission saps power like a vacuum cleaner. I was once in a "challenge" with a Seat Leon Cupra and he was all over me. Once up to the dual carraigeway he was carrying enough speed to get past me once I pulled over. My A4 (with 220PS, don't forget this is the same engine fitted to the new Golf GTI except with an extra 20PS) feels brisker and I have performed an un scientific test between signposts (on a private track) to verify this. It IS quicker. The VAG 2.0T FSI is an absolute stormer, please do not under estimate it. The maximum speed of my Audi (on paper performance of course) is 154mph. The PPP MY02 wagon was 143mph (correct me if I am wrong). From a standstill the PPP MY02 was quicker I will admit, but midrange no way.
Old 21 March 2007, 09:36 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

After 6 months in my Audi A4 2.0T S line special edition I can say hand on heart there is no comparison. I know now all the Subaru purists will rant on about you don't look at the fireplace while stoking the fire, but let me tell you this, my new Audi is faster both in a straight line and in the wet AND around the Suffolk countryside than my previous MY02 prodrive wagon. The reason? Quattro all wheel drive, 220PS, and an engine which will rev furiously to the red line and return mid 30's mpg. All aluminium chassis components help keep the weight down. Oh, and when I am visiting the local garden centre on a Sunday I get looks of admiration rather than disdain.

In conclusion Subaru need to catch up. The competition is now very very fierce. Put away your WRC blue tinted spectacles (they never win any rallies now anyway so whats the point) and go and test drive one of these fine cars:

1/ Golf GTI
3/ Audi S3
4/ Golf R32[/quote]

LOL! ,Are you the little fat bloke in a silver sline that was glued on to my rear bumper a few weeks ago in a 30 limit just outside Woodbridge? Then when we hit the national limit you slowly dissapeared from view from my rear view mirror? LOL!

As for your "Top 4 drives" 1 and 4 are really crap, 2 is a bit better and 3 is a nice car.

2003 STI PPP
Old 21 March 2007, 09:36 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilg7777
Good for you keep reassuring yourself

Neil
I don't need reassuring chum, I have seen the light. Now please take off those rediculous WR blue tinted specs and go and stand in the corner of the room!
Old 21 March 2007, 09:37 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Talking

pi55 off to audinet then Audi and scooby chalk and cheese really. Also quattro started off as a chavved up rally car and Subaru have won more WRC's thn audi did in the 80's so stick it in yer pipe buddy.

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2007, 09:43 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

LOL! ,Are you the little fat bloke in a silver sline that was glued on to my rear bumper a few weeks ago in a 30 limit just outside Woodbridge? Then when we hit the national limit you slowly dissapeared from view from my rear view mirror? LOL!

As for your "Top 4 drives" 1 and 4 are really crap, 2 is a bit better and 3 is a nice car.

2003 STI PPP[/QUOTE]

Probably not as mine is black lol, but the little fat bloke in the silver one would be laughing his ar$e off gleefully as you showed off knowing he was sitting is a classy well built cabin (with Bose stereo, sat nav, ipod connection, bluetooth, do i need to go on?) and getting 30+ mpg and only paying HALF your insurance premium. LOL
Old 21 March 2007, 09:45 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Also Audi got no soul - scoob has more "character" than most - that's why love 'em. A lot of us guys find you car pretty boring TBH.
Old 21 March 2007, 09:50 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobydick
pi55 off to audinet then Audi and scooby chalk and cheese really. Also quattro started off as a chavved up rally car and Subaru have won more WRC's thn audi did in the 80's so stick it in yer pipe buddy.
Oh dear, have I rattled one of the monkeys cages? For your information I became a member of this forum at its birth many years ago when you were probably driving your chavved up Corsa GSI so please don't try and patronise an elder statesman. I still have a lot of respect for Subaru owners but the point I am making is there are now better cars out there and everyone needs to re focus. In the nineties there was no better car for the money than an Impreza Turbo 2000, I should know I owned three "classics" when they were fashionable. However the game has now moved on...

Best Wishes
Bluto
Old 21 March 2007, 09:51 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

quitter
Old 21 March 2007, 09:56 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Also, I'm sure most people will agree, That drivers of german cars are arrogant, Thus resulting in most other drivers thinking they are T**Ts! lol

I thought this years before I got a Subaru, But never thought it when I saw a Subaru.

Please feel free to discuss! lol
Old 21 March 2007, 09:58 PM
Scoobymart
Scooby Regular

The only audi i would have is a RS4 over my type R. The main reason for me loving scooby's so much is the sound it makes, No audi come's close to the sound of a scooby.Good look with your new motor m8 you'll be back soon saying how much your missing scooby's.
Old 21 March 2007, 10:01 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobydick
Also Audi got no soul - scoob has more "character" than most - that's why love 'em. A lot of us guys find you car pretty boring TBH.
By "character" I suppose you mean a drainpipe sized exhaust, gold wheels and red mudflaps?

No taste some people. When Subaru started the "Impreza thing" its was quite stealthy, exactly as I like my cars. Obviously if you feel the need to draw attention to yourself may I recommend that you parade your local high street in frilly underpants, stockings and a pair of 6" high heels. That is also quite characterful (so I am told).

Okay so what you are saying is the thing I miss about my Subaru(s) is the burble? Nowadays that sound is more common than the sound of your mates breaking wind after a vindaloo and nine pints. "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Subaru. Sorry but the chavs with their loud exhausts have killed it for me.
Old 21 March 2007, 10:04 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

You can't argue with Bluto on the Subaru image thing tho....
Old 21 March 2007, 10:07 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suffolkdar
Also, I'm sure most people will agree, That drivers of german cars are arrogant, Thus resulting in most other drivers thinking they are T**Ts! lol

I thought this years before I got a Subaru, But never thought it when I saw a Subaru.

Please feel free to discuss! lol
Yes and this **** has just proved your point.Two different cars, no point in comparing them what so ever.Pointless post too ,if you want praise for your new choice of car then **** off to an audi forum or go pm that Audilover guy or whatever his name is maybe you can meet up with him and blow him off in your new luxury cabin
Old 21 March 2007, 10:08 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Quattro all wheel drive, 220PS
Old 21 March 2007, 10:10 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobymart
The only audi i would have is a RS4 over my type R. The main reason for me loving scooby's so much is the sound it makes, No audi come's close to the sound of a scooby.Good look with your new motor m8 you'll be back soon saying how much your missing scooby's.
No, I don't think so, the increasing number of cabin rattles were sending me towards insanity in my last Subaru. I have done 7000 miles in the Audi and not a single rattle or squeak. I don't think I will EVER go back to Subaru after spending time behind the wheel of a superbly built piece of automotive engineering. The sense of occasion you get just sitting in the thing is awesome. You can tell some egghead has spent 45 hours just perfecting the way the coin tray is ejected from the dash when you gently push it. How many Subaru owners have flipped the dash top cubby box open (MY99 etc) only to find the spring has broke and the bloody thing won't stay open? If thats what you call character then a Reliant Robin is characterful because it will blow over in strong winds - NO THANKS
Old 21 March 2007, 10:15 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
You can't argue with Bluto on the Subaru image thing tho....
Thankyou Fudpucker, at last someone who can see beyond the WR blue tinted specs.
Old 21 March 2007, 10:20 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

If i was after an everyday car then i would agree with the above....never did like the bug,blob,hawk thing .....and have driven them all..

but i dont own an impreza for a daily drive....

So i will be sticking with the wrc 555 limited edition sti type ra.

No chance of the list below being a threat to my current ride...

1/ Golf GTI
3/ Audi S3
4/ Golf R32[/quote]

Old 21 March 2007, 10:21 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbomatt
Yes and this **** has just proved your point.Two different cars, no point in comparing them what so ever.Pointless post too ,if you want praise for your new choice of car then **** off to an audi forum or go pm that Audilover guy or whatever his name is maybe you can meet up with him and blow him off in your new luxury cabin
Excuse me, did I call you a c*nt? because I am now thinking I should have. Don't start turning a meaningful and well sorted discussion into a "Saturday afternoon at the football ground style rant" You are typical of some of the Subaru owners of today and cannot see beyond the "Fisher Price plastic" dashboard. Chill out friend life is too short. Unless you can join in an intellectual debate then please refrain from posting.

Regards
Bluto
Old 21 March 2007, 10:21 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
Boy am I glad I turned the corner and moved away from Subaru ownership. The following points swayed my decision:

1/ Last year after the initial hike in road fund for the top band to £210 I half expected yet another increase at next budget. Fact: today Golden Brown put that rate up to £400
2/ Chav rear lights. Right, what's going on here? I don't want to buy a brand new car which just looks like I have been and spent £29.99 on after market rear lights from Halfords.
3/ Image: There is a new breed now purchasing Subaru vehicles. Now I don't want to stereotype and I am not suggesting in any way that the good people on this forum can be likened to this image but as far as I am concerned there are now a lot of a "lesser character" now buying the "classics" which is harming the breed. I am sure the vast majority of these plebs would not know how to switch on a PC let alone obtain a Scoobynet account name.
4/ Build: Well, what can I say. After 6 months in my Audi A4 2.0T S line special edition I can say hand on heart there is no comparison. I know now all the Subaru purists will rant on about you don't look at the fireplace while stoking the fire, but let me tell you this, my new Audi is faster both in a straight line and in the wet AND around the Suffolk countryside than my previous MY02 prodrive wagon. The reason? Quattro all wheel drive, 220PS, and an engine which will rev furiously to the red line and return mid 30's mpg. All aluminium chassis components help keep the weight down. Oh, and when I am visiting the local garden centre on a Sunday I get looks of admiration rather than disdain.

1/ Golf GTI
3/ Audi S3
4/ Golf R32

Hi
pleased to hear you are happy with the new choice of car - don't like your four top choices though - one mans meat another mans poison etc etc.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has the Audi's official 0 - 60 time as a standard 02 WRX would be 5.7 secs and with yours having the PPP you would expect nearer 5 secs.

Anyhow happy motoring
Old 21 March 2007, 10:22 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

Can i come out of the corner now.

Always thought BMW Drivers thought they was better than everybody else not Audi drivers. Mine are white tinted glasses by the way they do come in diffrent colours.

Please let me out off the corner master
Old 21 March 2007, 10:22 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rooferman
If i was after an everyday car then i would agree with the above....never did like the bug,blob,hawk thing .....and have driven them all..

but i dont own an impreza for a daily drive....

So i will be sticking with the wrc 555 limited edition sti type ra.

No chance of the list below being a threat to my current ride...

1/ Golf GTI
3/ Audi S3
4/ Golf R32
[/QUOTE]

Deep respect my friend, is it all original?
Old 21 March 2007, 10:24 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Oh yes I forgot the £400 tax bracket is for cars bought after something like 2006 ish - can't remeber exact date so don't quote me - your 02 would go up by £10
Old 21 March 2007, 10:30 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Scoobs still have undeniable positive qualities but you undoubtedly have a point and thats borne out by some of the responses you've had. Any thread which is remotely objective or questions the relative merits of scoobs next to other current cars gets jumped on. You just need to look at the way a lot of classic scoobs are being driven on our roads to understand whats happened to the image in the last few years. It's a shame. Harking on about heritage and rally success in one breath then plastering them in cheap tat the next just proves the point.
Old 21 March 2007, 10:31 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

First off..why are you comparing a fat old bugeye to a new Audi? you bought the slowest version of any turbo scooby and are trying to draw comparison with new technology. try a brand new sti and see if your fat old kaiser wagon will keep up then. image is something ***** worry about and opt to buy something they think others would approve of and them miss out on the really fun things.

imho audi had surpassed the bmw stigma of fat middle class ****** image now and it will carry on doing so as long as retards in poverty spec models (non S AND S4) go around thinking they are the lord of the manor.

**** off to audinet or VAGina.com you pompus,delusional little vermin.

VORSPRUNG DICK TECKNIK.

ps..i don't own a subaru and i still think you are the biggest **** since fatima ********* inserted a 3 litre bottle of coke up her front bottom.

Last edited by noobscoob; 21 March 2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 21 March 2007, 10:31 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
Hi
pleased to hear you are happy with the new choice of car - don't like your four top choices though - one mans meat another mans poison etc etc.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has the Audi's official 0 - 60 time as a standard 02 WRX would be 5.7 secs and with yours having the PPP you would expect nearer 5 secs.

Anyhow happy motoring
Hi Friend,

Can I make one thing absolutely clear here, the list I made was NOT my top four cars, far from it. I was making a generalisation of performance cars with 200PS + for similar money to a Subaru WRX/STI (I am talking new models here). I bought an Audi because its suits my current needs. The point I am trying to make is that Subaru had nothing to offer me and I was utterly gobsmacked by the progression Audi have made since I last drove one 3 years ago in terms of outright speed and handling. They have turned the corner so to speak. Don't believe all you read, the magazines opinions are probably based upon drives in pre 2005 models. I for one used to critisise Audi and VW cars for their spongy handling characteristics. Not any more.
Old 21 March 2007, 10:32 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

You clearly havent moved on as you are still spouting crap on here
Old 21 March 2007, 10:32 PM
reddishblue
Scooby Regular

hi, if you can afford £20000 ? for a audi or whatever why worry about miles
per gallon or £400 for tax? your losing 35 % depreciation in a few years of ownership! for me personally £3000 buys something that performs fairly well in most areas doesnt lose depreciation and is fun to drive, all about

SMILES PER MILE

thanks

Quick Reply: Glad I moved on