Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever got a good will gesture from subaru ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2007, 04:00 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever got a good will gesture from subaru ?

reason im asking is.

i spoke to my local dealer regarding the ongoing rear strut problem on newage sti's

now my car is out of warranty,but my rear struts were changed last march(end of) for the forth time

Anyway,im taking the car in on thursday to have the problem diagnosed,i know its the N/S/R strut,as the thud is the same as before when the struts have failed!

my dealer service manager says that they will contact i.m/subaru uk to see if they car claim a good will gesture and get the struts replaced,as they are well aware of this issue

anyone ever had any joy in these circumstances ???????

cheers mark
Old 20 March 2007, 04:08 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I once got a lift from the dealers in Widnes to my house in St Helens (land of the gods).

My "engine management warning dash light alert module yellow glow thing" had come on enroute to work so I turned the car round and limped off to Holdcroft. They told me they would have to take the entire car apart and put it back together to fix the faulty censor which would take quite some earth hours.
I pulled a slightly upset face (but didnt cry) and they offered to take me home in their big lorry.
Which was nice.
Old 20 March 2007, 04:22 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Yeah!

erh fab matey

mark
Old 20 March 2007, 04:43 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Yes

Had front discs/pads fitted for free (I think I paid some labour though) for MY05 WRX PPP at 12K miles. I just refused to pay for them, last car MY00 did about 40K before needing pads/discs so argued it was not my driving style.

Service manager agreed

Usually if you're firm but polite and raise you voice loud enough for all to hear (Whilst not swearing) you can some sort of joy

Avalyn.
Old 20 March 2007, 05:05 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Yes, i got PPP as a good will gesture.
Old 20 March 2007, 05:06 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

I never really im lying.
Old 20 March 2007, 05:13 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys,well one of you at least

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2007, 05:49 PM
scottish_jim
Scooby Regular

I had my rear dampers replaced under warranty and then when they went again the car was out of warranty and Subaru refused saying they don't warranty on warranty!!!!!!!
Also because I am second owner even though I was second owner when they were originally replaced!!!!!

I've now replaced the suspension with coil-overs. Wasn't gonna pay for genuine subaru dampers when I had no confidence in them lasting and being covered by "warranty".

I think SC offer a fix for them if you don't get any joy from Poobaru.
Old 20 March 2007, 05:53 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by ethanrob
thanks for the replys,well one of you at least
No worries mate... Sharing your positive dealership experiences in a thread about positive dealership experiences is what the SN community is all about. I hope my post gave you hope. I was chuffed to bits with the grease monkeys assistance...

Have you ever been to Widnes? You dont want to get stuck there, it really really smells... Burning animal caracasses I am told... Either way, to me, their gesture of goodwill that day meant more to me than had they have offered to swap my WRX for an S202...
Old 20 March 2007, 06:02 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I got an Atlas from Subaru GmbH through the post does that count? oh and I get tickets to the Essen motorshow every year inspite of never going
Old 20 March 2007, 06:16 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

oh po-lease lets all jump on the band wagon of sarkie posts

thanks for the constuctive post JIM,this is a valid question,as i know a few people have been down the same route regarding these struts

i was just wanting to know there personal outcome

mark
Old 20 March 2007, 06:30 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I got the Forester pocket for the dash out of S&S services when i bought mine. Shame they neglected to change the air filter at the same time though!

This strut issue just an STI problem or is my MY03 WRX likely to suffer?

5t.
Old 20 March 2007, 07:07 PM
scottish_jim
Scooby Regular

It's all coming back to me now.

Yeah, in fairness to subaru, though I think the service manager at the time did put a lot of effort into it, for fitting a new rear diff just as the warranty expired and also replaced/repaired a cracked turbo heatshield as a good will gesture. Oh and I also got a fault code checked and reset free when the CEL came on.

I suppose I didn't do too bad really

Would have liked a free jacket or brolly maybe but there ye go.
Old 20 March 2007, 07:24 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Ethanrob,

I don't want to hijack the thread but I am thinking of writing a letter to Subaru UK after an on going issue with the dealer I bought my car from. I'm now days/weeks away from the birth of my first child so time isn't on my side at the best of times.

Anyone who knows me will justify that I am honest and willing to pay up if the price is right and if I caused the problem myself. Which in many cases is the outcome. lol

When I viewed my car before agreeing to purchase it I notice the spoiler wasn't right. Looked like the paint hadn't set correctly after it had been sprayed. I asked if they could sort this problem out and it was put down on the form as a subject of attention along with front disks uneven and the car need a bloody good valet.
When I went to get my car nothing had been done and I asked had anything been done to it at all prior to me leaving and travelling the 135 miles. When I got there nothing had been done I was told no they couldn't re-spray or replace it as it would be over there given budget.?? With this I thought sod it as I wasn't going to keep travelling up and down the country. What a daft mistake.

Anyway, a year into ownership last summer with all the heat the paint re-acted causing it to bow and the paint to bubble on top and on the sides of the spoiler. I called the dealership about this and they said I'll get the manager to call you back. This happened 7 times and I even spoke with the salesman on the seven times I was due to get a call back.
Now during all of this I have been in and out of hospital for various reasons meaning I have left it and re tried. With the out come of sweet fa.

I asked my local Subaru dealer who said they would get it sorted. But was told that they couldn't be change as the car is now classed as old my01 WRX and would be out of warranty. However I made the silly commitment to re-new my warranty for another year (yes it does state that body work exterior is not covered under the warranty). They told me this was partly due to the fact that it had been fitted with an after market spoiler meaning it wouldn't be covered under Subaru Manufactory Warranty anyway. However, if I bought the car with the spoiler on surely they should see this as a good will gesture and replace it with even a after market spoiler but painted by a Subaru approved workshop or themselves?

I would like to point out that this is the only main gripe I have with after sales from Subaru. Even if I get a letter or finally a call from the daft monkeys who I bought it from and they tell me sorry sir but we will not replace the spoiler for you I would eat humble pie and take it on the kisser. But seem as I haven't heard sod all and its coming up for almost 2 years now I am starting to get a little peed off.

Rant over
Steve
Old 20 March 2007, 07:43 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Got £50 when a friend mentioned my name when they bought a car, no probs here
Old 20 March 2007, 07:46 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

A scuud let me out at a junction once
Old 20 March 2007, 08:03 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I got 3 months warrenty on my first car - Subaru Justy 1.2 GLII - that I brought from Quenbys of Baldock Subaru dealer.
Old 20 March 2007, 08:48 PM
stevo_nwuk
Scooby Regular

Tried to get shock replaced by subaru after they were replaced at the end of warranty. Apparently the replaced items have no guarantee, so pretty poor service to be honest.
Old 20 March 2007, 10:02 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

I had new discs and pad fitted to my first Classic at about 30k miles Free of Charge, but I was ordering the first Sti Type UK at the dealership at the same time.

When I picked up the Sti I also wangled a Prodrive Sti Jacket, which I wore twice and sold on ebay for £50.00..nice..
Old 20 March 2007, 10:06 PM
MSM
Scooby Regular

had the rear near side strut replaced for the third time in january this year, 2 were under warranty the last one wasnt. my local dealer said he would put in for a goodwill claim which he then said had been rejcted by subaru. as you can imagine not best pleased at this so i rang subaru customer services direct to query why the claim had been rejected. they checked their records and guess what - no claim had been submitted by the dealer! straight back on the phone to the dealer to find out what the f***s going on. a couple of hours later they ring me back to say subaru will pay 50% of the parts costs & the dealer dropped his labour charge by 50% to £35.00 per hour. the total cost was about £130 in total.
moral of the story is dont trust your dealer & ring subaru direct to check the situation.
Old 20 March 2007, 11:31 PM
scooty
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

Just felt I should add a comment.

A few have remarked about parts replaced under warranty, and how the replacements are not covered under warranty.

To clarify - every car manufacturer including Subaru - have the same rules regarding warranty replacement parts. That being any part replaced is only covered until the cars warranty expires. For example a faulty strut is replaced on a car that is 2 years and 364 days old - the replacment part will therefore be covered for 1 day.

If a part fails when the car is out of warranty that is when the dealer should look for goodwill - and there is usually goodwill available - but only if the circumstances are right ie serviced correctly, same owner etc. This will however vary between car brands. I know when I worked for Volkswagen dealer could self authorise goodwill of £200 per car per visit up for year 4.

One benefit that Suabru owners get thought is that replacement parts - bought not replaced as part of a warranty repair - are covered by a 3 year 60000 mile warranty. Only matched by Mazda.

S
Old 21 March 2007, 01:45 AM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

Subaru have flatly refused to change my n/s/r shock as a 'goodwill gesture' as the car is now out of warranty even though the problem was advised to the dealer whilst car still in warranty. I don't blame them however as the reluctance to deal with this is plainly with the dealer.....

Simon
Old 21 March 2007, 09:18 AM
scottish_jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooty
One benefit that Suabru owners get thought is that replacement parts - bought not replaced as part of a warranty repair - are covered by a 3 year 60000 mile warranty. Only matched by Mazda.

S
Hmmmmn, that's what I heard too. I "bought" new rear wheel bearings which have gone after a few months. Poobaru want me to buy new ones while they test them before replacing them under warranty!!!!

That's a good warranty on genuine poobaru parts.

It's been going on for weeks now and still haven't got them sorted
Old 21 March 2007, 09:46 AM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

What is this strut issue?
Old 21 March 2007, 01:14 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

the rear struts on newage sti's are prone to fail,also some case's have been found on the wrx's also,basically subaru are well aware of this problem,and have acoording to I.M revised them twice,but they are still failing within months of fitment

you will start to hear a dull mettalic thud coming from the rear quarter when the struts have gone,also the car will feel a little off set by this problem

mark
Old 21 March 2007, 01:17 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

A few have remarked about parts replaced under warranty, and how the replacements are not covered under warranty.

To clarify - every car manufacturer including Subaru - have the same rules regarding warranty replacement parts. That being any part replaced is only covered until the cars warranty expires. For example a faulty strut is replaced on a car that is 2 years and 364 days old - the replacment part will therefore be covered for 1 day.

If a part fails when the car is out of warranty that is when the dealer should look for goodwill - and there is usually goodwill available - but only if the circumstances are right ie serviced correctly, same owner etc. This will however vary between car brands. I know when I worked for Volkswagen dealer could self authorise goodwill of £200 per car per visit up for year 4.

S
so which dealership do you work at then fella ?????????

we/i am well aware of this policy,even though its utter pants,the parts should carry there own warranty,just as with a t.v dishwasher fridge freezer etc

we got a washing machine replaced whilst under the extended warranty period,we had 4 months left on the warranty,did our new washer come with a 4 month warranty ???????? Did it ****,it carried a standard 12 month warranty

mark
Old 21 March 2007, 01:24 PM
scooby,dlm.
Scooby Regular

i got a rear strut replaced out of warrenty as a good will jesture by subaru uk,all the other struts had been replaced under warrenty.
hope that helps
Old 21 March 2007, 01:32 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

I had both rears replaced 1 year out of warranty, but had to pay for the labour.
Car had only done 23K miles though.
Old 21 March 2007, 01:39 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

S
That's not the information i recieved from Trading standards when i had to make a claim (not with Subaru)

The information i recieved was that ALL replacement parts are expected to last a resonable amount of time/use. Id argue that a strut should last at least 12 months!

I won my claim btw
Old 21 March 2007, 01:46 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

As far as I'm aware any new part supplied by Subaru and fitted by them,whether it be rear shock,maf or whatever,has a 12 month warrenty on it.So if your replacement shock is less than 12 months old,then you should recieve a free replacement.Fitting costs may be a different matter(and where the gesture of good will comes in)but thats how I see it anyway.

Edit:.. thats what my local Subaru parts department told me once,hth

Last edited by Elmer Fudpucker; 21 March 2007 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone ever got a good will gesture from subaru ?