Sponsored by:

lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2007, 11:22 PM
Rumpelstiltskin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lack of power

Hi everone i am new to this site so hello to all. I own a 2001 bug eye wrx impreza. it is fairly standard, the only mods are, a full decatt, straight through exhaust, induction kit ( not sure wot make) and a bailey dump valve. i had it rolling roaded last wk to see wot power it was running, i was expecting about 220 bhp, but i was gutted to find it was only running 193bhp. wot do you think has caused this mayby a leaking dump valve or a lack of cooling from the intercooler, wot can i do to improve my power or is it just ****ed? thanks for any help you can give
Old 19 March 2007, 11:26 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

get it remapped
Old 19 March 2007, 11:29 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

I would try the dumpvalve first, replace it for a standard one. Try a search on this and the Gen Tech forums. Plenty of opinions to be had there. Also search for 'Boost Solenoid', it may need a clean.

Welcome..
Old 20 March 2007, 12:47 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Need far more info to give an accurate diagnosis on the web.

What rollers were you running on? What was the power at the wheels versus at the flywheel? Were the tyres properly inflated, tracking corrrect, etc (I've seen tracking appear to make 20bhp difference on a 300bhp car on the rollers).

After that, you need to know what boost youo were running at (if it's about 0.7 bar peak, you aren't controlling the wastegate properly) , and ideally then get some other diagnostics. There could be problems with the dump valve or induction kit (damaged MAF), or any number of other things.

Another - and far more important - question is how the car drives on the road. If it pulls smoothly, building boost from probably 3000rpm (earlier with a remap) and on to over 6000rpm, accelerates properly etc, then what does it matter what the rollers tell you?

Standard intercooler is quite capable of 300bhp, even if the STi one is better. So as long as they got some airflow to it on the rollers, it shouldn't be a problem. However, if they didn't have a large fan blowing onto the intercooler, that could be the problem.