Hotcakes!

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2007, 11:56 AM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hotcakes!

Hi all,

Currently in the process of finding my first scoob to buy and am finding it really hard to get anywhere!! I’m looking in the region of 10k to spend on one, hopefully a 03 blobeye Wagon in black with reasonable mileage - can I find one within 300 miles of Glasgow? hell no - I loosened off my search criteria by dropping PPP - still no easier.... when I do see one its gone by the time I call to enquire, its like hotcakes! I'm searching garages as I have a trade-in instead of going private.

Did you all have this much trouble acquiring your beasts?
Old 12 March 2007, 12:07 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

I had to travel about 100 miles to get the one I wanted, £10k for an 03 seems a little underpriced for "darn sarf" - but to be honest I was only looking at SL's with PPP.

Yes they sell quick, the dealer I used had 3 Wagons, I bought one and the other two sold same weekend
Old 12 March 2007, 12:19 PM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plenty here mate:

Used Cars - Stan Palmer Ltd

Give Mike griffiths a call , he`ll sort you out a cracking deal.
Old 12 March 2007, 12:32 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Took me 9 months to find the one I wanted and the specs I wanted, then one came up 3miles away , but it was well worth the wait. Good luck with the hunting
Subaru Imprezas for Sale try here.

Last edited by Russ71; 12 March 2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12 March 2007, 06:53 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by totalllama
Hi all,

Currently in the process of finding my first scoob to buy and am finding it really hard to get anywhere!! I’m looking in the region of 10k to spend on one, hopefully a 03 blobeye Wagon in black with reasonable mileage - can I find one within 300 miles of Glasgow? hell no - I loosened off my search criteria by dropping PPP - still no easier.... when I do see one its gone by the time I call to enquire, its like hotcakes! I'm searching garages as I have a trade-in instead of going private.

Did you all have this much trouble acquiring your beasts?
Consider private then?!!?

I saw the one i wanted and booked a one-way flight to nottingham with Easyjet. Praying (or not thinking straight) that it was a minter. Luckily it was and i wasn't hitching up the M1!!

The whole of the country should not be out of reach with the cheapy airlines now.

* Black is the new black, contrary the the white threads that appear. People want them as they're faster, so you have to be quick.
Old 12 March 2007, 06:55 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Yes I wanted black, couldn't get one with PPP & SL though had to go blue in the end.
Old 13 March 2007, 05:11 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Excellent, thanks for the tips guys .

Seen a few possibilities.

2002 80k Miles Black wagon, FSSH. £7995.
2001 65k Miles Silver wagon, FSSH. £7695.
2002 53k Miles Green wagon, FSSH. £8988.
What do you think?

Still nothing right up to the top of my budget tho - nor blob eye.... what roughly are the service intervals on bug eyes - what are the big services too?

Cheers -J

Last edited by totalllama; 16 March 2007 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added links.

Trending Topics

Old 13 March 2007, 05:39 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I was lucky enough to find mine only 40miles away, but sometimes you have to travel far for the right car......but it`s a wasted journey SO many times..
Old 13 March 2007, 05:58 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

I was in the same boat as you about six months ago. I wanted another black but in the end got a 51 plate silver wagon for £8k from Eaglesham Garage (which is within striking distance for you?). They lost their franchise for new Subaru sales a few years back but they are still fully authorised for repairs/servicing. They've got a load of existing customers going back years so I was happy to get mine from them. They confirmed it hadn't been modded - which was important to me. It also had the full SSH and as it was around the 48k level they offered to include the (biggie) 50k service as part of the deal. Why not leave your details with them and all the other local dealers (Ayr, Glasgow, Falkirk etc) and just keep checking with them and via Autotrader? Places like Arnold Clark are sometimes ok around Christmas/New Year when their 'real sale' brings their prices down to something almost reasonable. Having had both a wagon and saloon I actually find the wagon easier to live with every day - more stealthy and easier for lugging stuff in. It could do with PPP now though... ;-)
Old 14 March 2007, 03:56 AM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sounds like a good idea leaving details with the dealers. Im going to have a look at one in Bathgate on Thursday - it is a silver wagon and looks like a winner but we will see. You cant tell how the tyres and brakes etc are from a photo.

I know Eaglesham well, I used to work in Newton Mearns with occasional trips to the primary school there. Used to see Scoobs outside the garage all the time. My old man gets his UK300 serviced there too!

I will see what Thursday brings.
Old 14 March 2007, 09:20 AM
Xia
Scooby Regular

Interesting that you are after the exact same spec as I was in January.
Its not easy. (for those who missed he is after a wagon, much rarer than saloon).

I also was looking for my03-04 wagon black PPP. Those cars don't sell quickly in reality. All the one I have seen were on sale for more than 3 month.
£10k is the market price (not the advertise price) for private with a fair bit of mileage (60k+). Black is rare (I'd say 45%grey, 30%blue, 20%black, and 5%Red )
I really wanted my wagon in black and with only high mileage available I upped my budget and went for a my05 at £14400 (initial price was £17500) but with low mileage, PPP, SL and a few extras.

From my experience, go private, dealers put a really high premium on their cars and have little room for negotiation especially if you have a weak part ex. My local dealer had 2 models that fitted the bill but the price was £14.5k after long negotiations more mileage, 4 month older, no accessories and no SL.

Be patient. The right car will pop up. try pistonhead adverts, ebay (where I got mine), autotrader web site and search national.

If you want PPP as I did (much easier to insure than modified for those who will say take it to powerstation) do not buy a non PPP. At most PPP adds £300 on the value of a used wrx. Buying it new will cost you £1200 after some hard negotiation.

PS this is my first post on Scoobynet as I'm a recent proud owner of a wagon.
Old 14 March 2007, 10:05 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xia
PS this is my first post on Scoobynet as I'm a recent proud owner of a wagon.

Welcome dude !
Old 16 March 2007, 02:38 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Have now got a deposit on a 51 Plate silver bugeye wagon

Pick it up next Tuesday/Wednesday!!