Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Good Weather Brings Them Out Doesn't It?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2007, 08:24 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Good Weather Brings Them Out Doesn't It?

This has been done a million times on here however, it never ceases to amaze me.

On the way home tonight, good country road with a few straights and twistys.

Catch up a Renault Clio doing abot 40 ish, I back off ( I don't like people up my bottie so I don't do it to others) road goes straight, he's still doing 40ish, with no signs of speeding up.

3 0r 4 cars behind me now, mirror/signal and out I go, he boots it and catches me on the hop, no problem, drop it a gear and goodbye.

Then, HE STARTS TO FLASH HIS LIGHTS AT ME & SHAKES HIS FISTS!

What is that all about?

I wasn't in his bottie, he didn't want to go faster, road clear, straigt bit of road.

Just don't get it.

Couple of miles further on come to a villlage and I slow down, traffic stopped ahead , I think I will ask him why so much Mr Osram as he joins me in the qeue??

Guess what, he turns off down a side street 20 or 30 yards behind me, lots of Osram?

Don't understand?

Alan MaC

Guess what, just as he is
Old 06 March 2007, 08:28 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

chill......

let them get on with it
Old 06 March 2007, 08:30 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

just as he is what.....?
Old 06 March 2007, 08:33 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Osram??????????
Old 06 March 2007, 08:34 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Bulb manufacturer Brun...
Old 06 March 2007, 08:35 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Fuzz, slip of the cursor.

Alan Mac
Old 06 March 2007, 08:36 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trending Topics

Old 06 March 2007, 08:37 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Brun,

Mr Osram as, in Osram the Light Bulb Maker.

Alan MaC
Old 06 March 2007, 08:44 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

think the general attitude of driving is changin tbh, people seem to be afraid to overtake , i was recently (yesterday) driving home when i caught up with a group of cars about 6 or 7 of them sitting behind a lorrie doing 45 in a 60, stayed put for about 15 mins due to oncomming traffic eventually came onto an open bit of road a couple of miles long with nothing comming the other way and only one car had the sense to pull out and overtake the lorrie the rest didnt even think about it even though it was ok to do so, because alot of people dont have the savvy to do an overtaking manouver they think people who do overtake are menaces to the road, anybody else found this out?
Old 06 March 2007, 09:16 PM
***Jonesy***
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Á¢ïÐ
because alot of people dont have the savvy to do an overtaking manouver they think people who do overtake are menaces to the road, anybody else found this out?
Yes, as a biker we get this constantly from car drivers
Old 06 March 2007, 09:44 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

What anoyes me more are the people who have no intention of overtaking but still stay to close to the car in front!! The people at the back who actually want to get up to the speed limit are forced to either overtake a bunch of cars or do it in stages squeesing in front of these drivers that wont leave enough of a gap.....then they flash their lights at you
Old 06 March 2007, 09:49 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Perhaps they've all got slow cars ... Evo's etc

TX.
Old 06 March 2007, 09:57 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shmerman
What anoyes me more are the people who have no intention of overtaking but still stay to close to the car in front!! The people at the back who actually want to get up to the speed limit are forced to either overtake a bunch of cars or do it in stages squeesing in front of these drivers that wont leave enough of a gap.....then they flash their lights at you
yea thats what i was getting at as well, they actually think its wrong to pass another car, so they just follow the car infront even if its doing 40 in a 60 before long theres a tail back not handy,
Old 07 March 2007, 01:43 AM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

I hate it when you get stuck behind a car doing 40-45mph in a 60 then you come to a 30 zone and you slow down to 30 and they carry on doing 40-45. Annoying!!!
Old 07 March 2007, 06:35 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

I too have never understood why someone flashes you when you overtake them.

I've had it done to me a few times, even though each time I overtake when it is entirely safe to do so, give the car I am overtaking plenty of space and I get it done quickly, yet they still pursue in flashing their lights at me as if I've nearly run them off the road or something.

Sometimes I let it go, other times when I'm in a bit of a mood I usually slow right down once I've overtaken them and gesture as to what the problem is. When I do ask they never seem to reply, just sit there pretending they don't even see me in front.
Old 07 March 2007, 09:05 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Overtook a guy the other day, not on a particularly long straight but I know the road and it was totally legal. He flashed me - I thought nothing of it.

Further up the road I was stuck behind another car at some lights, so he rolls up behind. No gentures or anything so I assumed he had got over it.

After the light the road opens up again so I take off to go around the car in front, and the guy BEHIND flashes he lights at me again! I wasn't even overtaking him.

Anyway, blast off down one of my fav bits of road and decide to pay the guy back, so I turn around and fly off back down the road at warp speed and as I pass the guy coming the other way I flashed my lights at him several times and waved.

Made me fell better anyway.
Old 07 March 2007, 09:50 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Your a hooligan Dai..
Old 07 March 2007, 10:38 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had it loads too, although to be fair there are lots of people who don't do it and would rather you overtook them when you can rather than hover around behind them.

I honestly think it comes down to what kind of a person/driver you are. If you're considerate and wary of those around you on the road, you won't flash overtakers because you know that's what they should do if they want to go faster and it's safe to do so. Inconsiderate/blinkered/incompetent drivers spend so much time fussing about what other people are doing (e.g by flashing overtakers) they don't for a minute think about their own bad habits - slow driving, middle lane hogging, not pulling over to let bikes through, denting other people's cars in car parks and driving off, talking on the phone, having dogs or children jumping around in the back seat, going too close to the car in front with no intention of overtaking, not indicating etc.

With this in mind, if I ever overtake one of these incompetent drivers, they first of all signal their identity to me by flashing or putting their headlights on full beam, which is nice because then I can return the complement by slowing right down in front of them and putting my rear fog light on until they turn their headlights off, then burn off again. Childish? Maybe. But hopefully they'll think twice before trying to pass judgement on someone else's driving which has had no effect on them whatsoever.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:10 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
I've had it loads too, although to be fair there are lots of people who don't do it and would rather you overtook them when you can rather than hover around behind them.

I honestly think it comes down to what kind of a person/driver you are. If you're considerate and wary of those around you on the road, you won't flash overtakers because you know that's what they should do if they want to go faster and it's safe to do so. Inconsiderate/blinkered/incompetent drivers spend so much time fussing about what other people are doing (e.g by flashing overtakers) they don't for a minute think about their own bad habits - slow driving, middle lane hogging, not pulling over to let bikes through, denting other people's cars in car parks and driving off, talking on the phone, having dogs or children jumping around in the back seat, going too close to the car in front with no intention of overtaking, not indicating etc.

With this in mind, if I ever overtake one of these incompetent drivers, they first of all signal their identity to me by flashing or putting their headlights on full beam, which is nice because then I can return the complement by slowing right down in front of them and putting my rear fog light on until they turn their headlights off, then burn off again. Childish? Maybe. But hopefully they'll think twice before trying to pass judgement on someone else's driving which has had no effect on them whatsoever.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:26 AM
zaxs1973
Scooby Regular

Completely agree with all what you are saying there seems to be a pattern, for e.g. when you go for a run to the coast from where i live to say Brid of Whitby there are some lovely roads to take advantage of your car's handling and to be honest that why we buy them isn't it ? But the you get some o~~ Git or worse the caravan brigade tootling along @50ish sometimes slower and a tail back of cars that is unbelievable, there should be another route for people like this and a route for people who like to drive (In an ideal world) And it would be interesting to see which route had the most accidents don't you think? ...
Old 07 March 2007, 01:29 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Speed camera's fault

think the general attitude of driving is changin tbh, people seem to be afraid to overtake ...
Unfortunately the placing of scameras on long straight bits of road to earn as much revenue as possible means that unless you know the road to be camera free, then it is highly risky to pop up to 70 to get past a car doing 50. Trucks make the situation worse becasue you don't get a clear view of the road ahead to determine when is a safe (for the licence ) time to overtake.

Of course if you know the road then it doesn't matter but those that don't, have no alternative but to join the queue
Old 07 March 2007, 01:48 PM
AndyWalker
Scooby Regular

think the general attitude of driving is changin tbh, people seem to be afraid to overtake , i was recently (yesterday) driving home when i caught up with a group of cars about 6 or 7 of them sitting behind a lorrie doing 45 in a 60, stayed put for about 15 mins due to oncomming traffic eventually came onto an open bit of road a couple of miles long with nothing comming the other way and only one car had the sense to pull out and overtake the lorrie the rest didnt even think about it even though it was ok to do so, because alot of people dont have the savvy to do an overtaking manouver they think people who do overtake are menaces to the road, anybody else found this out?
notice this a lot - mostly the first car in queue behind lorry is too close to see if the road is clear to overtake, and others dont overtake a car and a lorry
Old 07 March 2007, 02:55 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

I love this place - so many like minded people

Just to add to the list of annoying habits people have....when you overtake someone, why do people flash when coming towards you when they are so far away that you have no way impacted their speed, etc?? These people always get the one finger salute!
Old 07 March 2007, 03:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jayltee1
I love this place - so many like minded people

Just to add to the list of annoying habits people have....when you overtake someone, why do people flash when coming towards you when they are so far away that you have no way impacted their speed, etc?? These people always get the one finger salute!
I think in some peoples' minds, overtaking = queue jumping!

What really gets on my nerves is that these people respond to you as if you're the embodiment of all that is dangerous on the roads today just cause you overtook them as the were doing 45 in a 60mph zone, then they'll quite happily drive up your backside trying to maintain 45 mph even though you're now in a 30 zone!

I don't really get annoyed by negative reactions to me safely overtaking people though, as 1) They'll be a dot in my rear view mirror v soon 2) I can't hear any verbal protestations - a sports cat H&S exhaust on a scooby will do that for you!

Ns04
Old 07 March 2007, 03:12 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

What annoys me the most is when my dad is driving, somebody overtakes him and he says.. "they won't get to where they're going any faster!"........... err.......... yes.. yes they will.
Old 07 March 2007, 03:21 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Probein
What annoys me the most is when my dad is driving, somebody overtakes him and he says.. "they won't get to where they're going any faster!"........... err.......... yes.. yes they will.
LOL
Old 07 March 2007, 04:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Probein
That said, there are few things worse than when you overtake someone
thinking you're finally going to make some decent progress only to hit a 30 zone almost straight after! As the car you've just tore past trundles up behind you, you can almost feel the smugness of the driver as he turns to the other person in the car (or simply exclaims to himself): "well, they didn't get very far ahead after all that, did they?"

Ns04
Old 07 March 2007, 04:20 PM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
That said, there are few things worse than when you overtake someone
thinking you're finally going to make some decent progress only to hit a 30 zone almost straight after! As the car you've just tore past trundles up behind you, you can almost feel the smugness of the driver as he turns to the other person in the car (or simply exclaims to himself): "well, they didn't get very far ahead after all that, did they?"

Ns04
Lol. So true
Old 07 March 2007, 04:45 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

I got flashed by some bloke doing 45 on the a15 from lincoln one day. But gathered that I had not done anything wrong, as the police car I bounced in the same manouver didn`t pull out and give chase. But then I did everything properly indicated, pulled out, nailed it, then pulled in far enough clear and braked back down to speed limit. I think a lot fo it has to do with surprise, these people have got the blinkers on, they are not checking their mirrors as often as they should be, then out of nowhere there is a car along side doing 70 on the brakes, indicating to get into the inadequate space they have left in front of them

Jase
Old 07 March 2007, 04:55 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

I got flashed by some bloke doing 45 on the a15 from lincoln one day. But gathered that I had not done anything wrong, as the police car I bounced in the same manouver didn`t pull out and give chase. But then I did everything properly indicated, pulled out, nailed it, then pulled in far enough clear and braked back down to speed limit. I think a lot fo it has to do with surprise, these people have got the blinkers on, they are not checking their mirrors as often as they should be, then out of nowhere there is a car along side doing 70 on the brakes, indicating to get into the inadequate space they have left in front of them

Jase

Quick Reply: The Good Weather Brings Them Out Doesn't It?