What Next

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2007, 04:14 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Next

Hi all,
well i ran out of luck in my Prelude Vtec I clipped a corner and kinked my subframe. So im away for six months then I will need a new car. Well I hav a few chioces A Imprezza STI, Mitsubishi GTO, Nissan Skyline GT or a Mazda RX7. I think the STI would be more practical but has anyone had any of the other cars mentioned like the GTO ive heard they are slow.
Cheers
Neil
Old 04 March 2007, 04:29 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't rule out a mitsi evo 5 or 6
Old 04 March 2007, 05:45 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

RX7 and GTO have a LOT that can go wrong. loads of electrics in the GTO too.

Nice looking cars, but make sure you've got deep pockets

Skyline is a big car.

STI, well, it's an STI

Evos are also worth looking at, a has been stated above.....

Dan
Old 04 March 2007, 05:47 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by KINGTIGER
Hi all,
well i ran out of luck in my Prelude Vtec I clipped a corner and kinked my subframe.
I think you spelled 'talent' wrong
Old 04 March 2007, 09:24 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I owned a RX7 Type R efini for a while. Amazing car, amazing handling and power to boot but they are a bloody nightmare to own.

I had the full HKS goodies on mine but it was purely a weekend toy, as any sustained driving resulted in the car needed a service/tune up at short intervals (I am talking months apart).

They also have a nasty tendancy to eat spark plugs so you need to source the right ones, I ended up going for stock Mazda items eventually as they seemed to last longer. Body wise they are solid, efini have aluminium panels so rarely have any corrosion issues but boots can get leaks if the seals are worn out on the insides.

Also of note is the gearbox, while its very solid and can handle hell of a lot of power its prone to 4th and 5th gear issues, common sign is having trouble going into 3rd and 5th when driving along at any speeds.

But when they go, they are feriocious beasts. Rapid acceleration all the way to the redline and will chase any car or bike without a problem plus they corner very well for a rear wheel drive car but I think thats more due to the 50/50 setup of the car.

Also expect high fuel consumptions, I would managed single figures on most drives

My matey has got a R34 GTS-T and loves it, seems to be a good all rounder car.

Last edited by finalzero; 04 March 2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05 March 2007, 02:58 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Agree with what's been said about the RX7 and GTO. Both can be troublesome and the GTO doesn't drive as well as it looks. If you're into that sort of thing, I'd go for a Toyota Supra everytime.

If you can afford the running costs (services every 4.5k), then an Mitsi Evo is an awesome car (I once borrowed an Evo 6, which is regarded as one of the best), but the Impreza isn't far behind and a lot more useable every day.
Old 03 July 2007, 04:51 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Well I'm home for abit soon and still hav been searching for a car. Still hav the Scooby in mind but hav seen a few Skyline gts up for sale. I like both cars but at the end of the day i think a Scooby more practical. Has any of u lot ever driven a Skyline GT I know its a biggish car.
But has it got anything better than a Scooby.

Cheers

Trending Topics

Old 03 July 2007, 10:11 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Yes an Rx7 is a brilliant car to own/drive, I too had a red FD type R for over 3 years and loved every day that it was working!
Like everyone has said they do go wrong, but on the plus side an engine rebuild for a Rx is alot cheaper than for any other jap performance car.
It is well woth going out to view an RX and get a test drive, if you do choose to buy one then make sure it has had a recent rebuild, less than 10k ago if you can find one.
Also they dont like to be driven as a daily driver.
Old 03 July 2007, 11:42 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

how much dosh you got
are you experienced with RWDs ?

TT supra for me but they scare the **** out of me
Old 04 July 2007, 08:00 AM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Well ive got about 4500 to 5000 to spend and with regards to rwd ive never driven one which in a way would be unsuitable to buy a rx7 skyline gt as it could be to much for me who hasn't driven a rwd before. Which in a way would push me towards getting a Scooby also I would be using it as a everyday car. I work away from home which is about 230 miles away.

I know someone who had a RX7 and the engine went but a rx7 would be impractical for me.